Cobalt 2.2 supercharge vs turbo - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt 2.2 supercharge vs turbo
Thursday, September 27, 2007 9:57 PM
hello, can anyone tell me which would be better to go with, the gm supercharger with piggyback or the garrett/hahn racecraft turbo kit?
i know the supercharger is less money
which is an easier install?
which will i have less problems/maintenance with?
which one will i have to buy more parts for so the kit works?
and which would i be less likely to have to upgrade the engine parts for? (which is less hard on the engine?)

please answer all of the questions
i cannot say i am close to getting one of these kits but i just want some answers
thanks

Re: Cobalt 2.2 supercharge vs turbo
Saturday, September 29, 2007 4:58 PM
Quote:

can anyone tell me which would be better to go with, the gm supercharger with piggyback or the garrett/hahn racecraft turbo kit?

Better is all in the eyes of the person judging. It's like asking "which is better, vanilla or chocolate?"...it's a opinion. You should research and evaluate the pros and cons of each and then decide for yourself. That'd be the smartest thing for you to do.

Another issue with your post...you didn't list what engine you have.

Quote:

which is an easier install?

Can't really say especially cause I don't know which engine you have.

Quote:

which will i have less problems/maintenance with?

Both can be just as reliable BUT it just all depends on how you initially setup the vehicles in both cases. A roots supercharged setup typically becomes more of a ease just for the fact that turbochargers are reliant on oil, so you have to keep your eye out on fittings leaking, line leaks and things of that nature. Boost leaks on turbo setups don't really happen unless you have crappy welds on the charge piping or crappy clamps.

Quote:

which one will i have to buy more parts for so the kit works?
and which would i be less likely to have to upgrade the engine parts for? (which is less hard on the engine?)

Need engine again.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, September 29, 2007 6:29 PM
alright, thanks for the info
(i have a 2007 cobalt 2.2l ecotec btw (topic subject))
Saturday, September 29, 2007 6:50 PM
Steve C wrote:alright, thanks for the info
(i have a 2007 cobalt 2.2l ecotec btw (topic subject))

Hahn doesn't make a kit for your vehicle specifically. Granted you have the same engine as a J-body, the routing and locations pipes can travel MAY be different, hence why they didn't say for J-bodys and Delta cars like yours.

The turbo setup, you'd have to buy more parts.

Upgrading the engine is all due in your setup as well and what kind of stress you're making not only dealing with power but with how much heat you're generating. Basically how efficient your setup is in the first place.

Monday, October 01, 2007 8:28 AM
what about this kit? http://www.hahnracecraft.com/New_Folder/Cobalt%2022L%20Page.htm
its made by garrett but sold by hahn
does it include the 07 models?
"2005~06 Chevrolet Cobalt / Pontiac G5 2.2 L" "for 2005 & up manual transmission models"

and for the supercharged setup all the parts come with it? and i wont have to upgrade the engine?

which do you think would be easier to install?

im asking a lot of questions.
Monday, October 01, 2007 10:46 AM
I don't know what would be easier but read my other post as far as what might be easier.

It's supposed to be available for your application, contact Hahn or Garrett.

You shouldn't have to upgrade the engine with the kit as is.

Monday, October 01, 2007 12:16 PM
alright, i was kind of leaning a little towards supercharged but i think i want a turbo more now.
but who knows i still have a lot of time to decide.
thanks
Monday, October 01, 2007 12:36 PM
i will say a turbo is better...s/c is a waist of time and mony and no its not cheeper....you need to look at the overall not the now....

167,000 on an Ecotec since 02

Monday, October 01, 2007 1:03 PM
supercharger is easy to install and is more reliable for the budget builder. If you don't intend on making retarded amounts of power and for the most part aren't going to build ur motor, go supercharger. If you wanna make massive amounts of power and plan to build ur motor then I would go turbo.

I started with a turbo build then realized I didn't feel like dealing with all the head aches, so I just got the GM charger instead and have the factory tune and I have no issues what so ever. The charger hasn't given me an ounce of problems yet. I think its more reliable being that its a self contained unit as well, where as the turbo can need coolant and WILL need oil, which means tapping the oil pan.

hands down, GM charger is for the lazy booster, me =lazy booster.

then again, I have a 75 direct port on it as well. WooT!

Monday, October 01, 2007 2:59 PM
Prophit wrote:i will say a turbo is better...s/c is a waist of time and mony and no its not cheeper....you need to look at the overall not the now....

why is the supercharger more money and a waste of time?

RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:
I started with a turbo build then realized I didn't feel like dealing with all the head aches, so I just got the GM charger instead and have the factory tune and I have no issues what so ever. The charger hasn't given me an ounce of problems yet. I think its more reliable being that its a self contained unit as well, where as the turbo can need coolant and WILL need oil, which means tapping the oil pan.

hands down, GM charger is for the lazy booster, me =lazy booster.

then again, I have a 75 direct port on it as well. WooT!

from what you told me the supercharger sounds like it is more for me lol
how long have you had it for and how hard was it to install? and how long did it take?
i dont want a nitrous system btw
Monday, October 01, 2007 6:47 PM
steve i woul love to explaine to you why a s/c is a waist but i may not post...-prophit

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search