Keep it simple (if possible) - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Keep it simple (if possible)
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 3:40 PM
I've been reading... - aftercool this, inject that, reflash yo mama...

This is what I'm hoping for:

1. Buy this http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/Ecotec-22L-CavalierSunfire-Supercharger-Kit-17800003-P1377C0.aspx
2. Take it to the dealer to have it installed and he reflashes the pcm - charge for both $300.00 ?
3. NO other mods aside from the required new air box plumbing.
4. Reliability to 200,000 miles on motor and tranny, assuming motor now runs great at 50,000 miles.
5. Just as reliable WITHOUT the aftercooler, only max hp not achieved.
6. Won't burn oil.
7. 190hp at the wheels and I'm happy

Am I asking for too much simplicity?

Thanks.

Re: Keep it simple (if possible)
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 9:32 PM
Wow Eugene, I've been asking that since I joined this forum.
If you are running an 05 +, it is my understanding from reading the many, many threads on this forum and the Saturn Enthusiast Forum, that you can not reflash the PCM.

What car are you attempting this with?

Can anyone of the experts elaborate?

It's not how fast you go...But how you go fast.
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 7:28 AM
I am deciding on buying an 04-05 Cavalier automatic, but I need to know if I open up the checkbook for an additional 3 grand, will I have a reliable daily driver that goes the distance?

I want a quiet coupe that will run about a 15 flat.

I don't want to tinker or worry about other stuff after I leave the dealer.

Thanks.
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 10:42 AM
I believe I found my answers on j-body.org:

- 100,000 (additional) miles is beyond the expected life of a supercharger and/or the motor its on.
- 5-6 psi is the limit as far as stretching longevity (the GM unit above is 9-10 psi)
- an intercooler is a must for maximum longevity

So even if it was possible to run a bigger (lower psi) pully on the thing, I still would need an intercooler for long life. I know they come "ready to accept" an intercooler, but still you have to go buy it and hook it up. Also, is that dealer "reflash" correct for a 5-6 psi pulley? See, too many questions and too few experts at the dealer.

Not simple and reliable enough for me. I guess I'll but a used Mustang.

Thanks.
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 2:09 PM
FYI the Gm reflash doesn't work on a 5-6 psi setting. It is designed to read boost, so to speak. So it will read different levels of it. In Canada when it is colder, you will actually have slightly higher boost levels due to colder air. Unfortunitly, the Gm reflash is like a "one size fits all" shirt. I'm not trying to bash on them or anything, but I have heard that it reflash runs better on some cars than others.

If you were to run a smaller pulley on the charger i would get the aftercooler for sure.
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 10:05 PM
Eugene, I am so feeling your pain on this. I am right there with you. The good news is I did a lot and I mean a whole lot of research on this issue already as I am looking for the same thing. I need simplicity for a daily driver that will offer some what of a better feeling under the hood so to speak . I'll take anything close to 200HP and call it the day. The biggest thing to understand is that generating any kind of HP will not come without a price.
And now the bad news...as I have been researching for months now and jumping from forum to forum, I have found that installing the SC without the true tune and all of the parts needed is really a bad choice. The same goes for the turbo. Our cars (I have a Saturn) with AT's just don't have any mods in the forced induction world. You would have to welcome yourself into the world of custom and hybrid set ups. I have found in many forums and threads that many have tried and many have not been successful. Even the same goes for NOS as you can find that there have been some to ruin their engines.
However, here's the bonus...If you are willing to keep your car NA and not go the forced induction route, I have found a recipe for anyone who wants to get to close to our HP goal. Just keep in mind, every car is different, just as every person is. What I mean by that is you and I can have the exact same things, yet your car may produce a different HP rating. It's the law of the land and theres nothing we can do about it.

I don't want to post the recipe under this forums out of respect for the guys in charge.
I posted the recipe for this NA goal under a thread I stared in the performance forum months ago and just recently added my findings.
Also, if you jump from forum to forum you'll see some other findings of mine that you may find helpful.

Check out the topic "New to the tuner game w/ 05 Saturn ION Q's..."
I am the last to reply as of Yesterday 10:28 PM

If you have any Q's don't hesitate to ask...Good Luck

It's not how fast you go...But how you go fast.
Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:47 AM
Quote:

5. Just as reliable WITHOUT the aftercooler, only max hp not achieved.

Trust and believe you're going to heat soak BAD.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, February 23, 2008 10:47 PM
yeah i highly recomend u seriously re-think running your supercharger without being intercooled!!! the supercharger is going to create massive amounts of heat due to friction. when things get hot they tend to go bad very quickly.....besides, like you said the intercooler is going to give u more power so why would u not want that? isnt that why youre going with a supercharger anyways???? but its whatever......ull either learn the smart way or the hard way...its your ride
Thursday, February 28, 2008 2:20 PM
oh snap dual logins

Hey theres a bit of a trick to getting even better horse power and still keeping yourself unintercooled. injection systems. (water, alky, and even nitrous)

basiclly your adding a chemical intercooler, but without the itercooler price. you can get a reliable kit for well under 400. and all you have to do is hook it up to a WOT switch so it comes on when you stomp on the gas only. which makes sense because why would you need full power crusing anyway

cons of this though are constant refilling, added install price. but other then that, its a great way to get your power back with out the intercooler\

send me a message on JBO if you want help

P.S. be careful what you read and who you read it from superchargers dont add heat do to friction, they add heat becuase of compressed air, and hot air wont blow your motor it will just make your car slow. so just rember to take everything with a grain of salt. people can mean well and still lead you down the wrong path.

except for NJ hes the @!#$

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:30 PM
yeah cuz heat has never worn anything out and made it fail u got it there.......and compressed air molecules behind thrown at eachother at very high cfm does not create any friction at all????? wow u are indeed correct watch where u get ur info!!! some people dont have any common sense!!!!!!!!!!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search