Cobalt SS PCM in a Cavalier - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt SS PCM in a Cavalier
Thursday, April 20, 2006 5:30 PM
I have a 2002 Cavalier with the Ecotec and I am currently installing the Hahn Racecraft Stage II Turbo kit. I want to raise the computer limits on it to take more advantage of the turbo and I was wondering if the ECU from a Cobalt SS would connnect to my Ecotec. Would the connections fit and everything jive?

Re: Cobalt SS PCM in a Cavalier
Friday, April 21, 2006 12:22 AM
Won't work. Totally different computer. The Cobalt is more electronically controlled than the cavalier...example: we have mechanical throttle bodies, they have electronic throttle bodies.

When you say raise the computer limits, what are you trying to do exactly?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, April 21, 2006 7:43 AM
Raise the rev limiter and governor settings
Friday, April 21, 2006 8:16 AM
Even with a turbo kit, unless your motor is built (valvetrain work) ready to rev higher than the stock limiter, you're not going to gain any power.

But if you must know, the new HP Tuners device allows you to raise it and get rid of the governor.

Friday, April 21, 2006 12:21 PM
I have rebuilt the engine with Eagle Rods, Wiseco Pistons, and a Patriot Stage II Cylinder head. Once the turbo is on I plan on putting a new side exhaust on it and maybe MSD ignition. I'm not sure if those are the mods you are talking about, but that is what I have done thus far.
Friday, April 21, 2006 12:49 PM
cavyfan02 wrote:I have rebuilt the engine with Eagle Rods, Wiseco Pistons, and a Patriot Stage II Cylinder head. Once the turbo is on I plan on putting a new side exhaust on it and maybe MSD ignition. I'm not sure if those are the mods you are talking about, but that is what I have done thus far.

I was mainly referring to Valvetrain upgrade but if you have the Patriot Head (which I also have) than you should be fine. Did you upgrade your camshafts?

Saturday, April 22, 2006 6:19 PM
No, I read that the stock cams are good for up to 400HP. But if you have suggestions I am open to them.
Sunday, April 23, 2006 2:15 AM
cavyfan02 wrote:No, I read that the stock cams are good for up to 400HP. But if you have suggestions I am open to them.

You can run them up to 400 HP but that doesn't meant that you can't get a better camshaft profile for your application.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 2:01 PM
What would you suggest?
Sunday, April 23, 2006 2:40 PM
cavyfan02 wrote:What would you suggest?

Comp Cams sells all types of camshafts for the ECOTEC motor, even a set of so called "Forced Induction" camshafts. Contact them for their camshaft specs.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 1:26 PM
What type of specs should I be looking for?

What qualities would a desireable set of cams for my application have?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search