GM Tech Reflash Computer? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM Tech Reflash Computer?
Monday, November 28, 2005 2:09 PM
I was wondering if anyone near the central VA area could and was willing to reflash my 2005 computer? I know one place that reflashes vehicles but they mainly deal with ford and do not mess with Cavaliers, plus they charge over 700 dollars and im jus tryin to get rid of my check engine light(doesnt like my OBD-II Compliant Magnaflow Cat) and possibly get rid of my speed limiter

"I can't believe you are doin all this to a Cavalier!"-Everybody Else
"Hey-at least its not a damn civic!!"-ME

Re: GM Tech Reflash Computer?
Saturday, December 03, 2005 10:08 AM
The cheapest way to get rid of CEL from cat code is to buy a 18mm spark plug defouler kit. It comes with 2 defoulers. Take one of them and drill out the middle with a 7/16" or 1/2" drill bit. (just hollow out the how in the middle to fit the O2 sensor) Do not drill the second one!

First, disconnect your battery before doing this. Because when the battery is disconnected for more than 15 min. the CEL light will go off. Or take to a place and have the codes cleared after doing this.

Then screw the undrilled one in to the bung where the O2 sensor goes. Then screw in the drilled one in to the undrilled one. Then screw the O2 sensor in to the drill out one.

The chamber that the defoulers make around the O2 sensor keeps mostly clean air in it, and will fool the computer in believing the cat is doing it's job.

I did this with the old 2.2 when I put a hole through my cat, and after when I put header, 2.5" exhaust, and catco high flow converter. Both times it worked like a charm. Still to this day, I have not had my CEL come on. I know other people who have removed their cat, and it works for them to.

Speed limitor is not something to ask about here. Due to liabilty issues, members are refrained from answering any questions about how to remove governors or speed limiters.
Sunday, December 04, 2005 2:16 PM
Cody wrote:I was wondering if anyone near the central VA area could and was willing to reflash my 2005 computer? I know one place that reflashes vehicles but they mainly deal with ford and do not mess with Cavaliers, plus they charge over 700 dollars and im jus tryin to get rid of my check engine light(doesnt like my OBD-II Compliant Magnaflow Cat) and possibly get rid of my speed limiter

Just wondering what part of VA you are from?
Sunday, December 04, 2005 8:32 PM
Southside of Chesterfield-near Petersburg and Colonial Heights

"I can't believe you are doin all this to a Cavalier!"-Everybody Else
"Hey-at least its not a damn civic!!"-ME
Monday, December 05, 2005 6:15 PM
if it's coming from the rear o2 sensor b/c of the high flow cat, why not just use a 02 simulator?

they are very common on mustangs & f-bodies when they remove the cat.

if it's that second sensor that's tripping the light, then it's reading too high of an oxygen content in the exhaust compared to the first sensor--i.e. the cat isn't burning off the oxygen fast enough (along with the hydrocarbons, etc).

-DS
--------
"I'm a product, of my environment
So don't blame me, I just work here
But I wanna f*** it up"
Offspring - americana
Thursday, December 15, 2005 6:54 PM
cats dont burn oxygen off... in fact, they add oxygen...

im guessing youre throwing a p0420, just buy an o2 simulator.
Friday, December 16, 2005 1:47 PM
Loring Smith wrote:cats dont burn oxygen off... in fact, they add oxygen...

actually it looks like we were both right and wrong: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm

it separates oxygen from nitrogen to use the oxygen to burn the remaining hydrocarbons.

i.e. it creates (frees really) and it burns it.

-DS
--------
But I wanna f*** it up"
Offspring - americana
Friday, December 16, 2005 5:56 PM
oxygen by itself doesnt burn. in fact, its a product of good combustion. you cant just 'create' oxygen out of nothing. the oxidation bed in the catalyst adds it to the hydrogen to make H2O, another product of good combustion.

show me on your little 'i look at the page because i dont know how sh** works' link where it says that oxygen by itself is burned.
Saturday, December 17, 2005 1:03 PM
BewstAdd1ct wrote:oxygen by itself doesnt burn. in fact, its a product of good combustion. you cant just 'create' oxygen out of nothing. the oxidation bed in the catalyst adds it to the hydrogen to make H2O, another product of good combustion.

show me on your little 'i look at the page because i dont know how sh** works' link where it says that oxygen by itself is burned.

yes, we all know o2 by itself does not burn. pretty much anyone who graduated high school, taking basic physics would know that. so thank you for pointing out the obvious, would you like to confirm the sky is blue as well?

now, if you will re-read the post a little closer you might not have so much trouble. there are certain things that are common knowledge so they were left out. but since common sense doesn't seem that common here, i'll explain it a little closer for you:

oxygen is separated from the nitrogen and is burned along with the hydrocarbons in the exhaust, thereby preventing said hydrocarbons (unburned fuel for you) from entering the atmosphere. despite what you think you read, there is no magic to create oxygen and then just as miraculous make it spontaneously combust. (you sure you don't work at earthlink?)

i included that link b/c on every forum there is always some ass who either asks a million pointless questions about your answer or his brother who challenges everything you say. The link is there to save me the time. i've dealt with comments like that and people like you on the gme network for a few years now. the only good thing is the people who make them don't stick around for long before going somewhere else to troll.

now if you're going to stick around then great, the more the merrier. but for the good of the community lay off the java and read things a little closer next time

have a nice day

-DS
--------
But I wanna f*** it up"
Offspring - americana
Saturday, December 17, 2005 5:20 PM
agreed, this retard has an obsession with posting as many smartass comments as he can
Saturday, December 17, 2005 8:20 PM
Daniel - (DSLaBuda) wrote:

oxygen is separated from the nitrogen and is burned along with the hydrocarbons in the exhaust, thereby preventing said hydrocarbons (unburned fuel for you) from entering the atmosphere.

no... the oxygen doesnt get burned. the catalyst separates the CO and the N from the O, yes, but in the oxidation bed, its bonded to make CO2 and H2O. it isnt burned... you were saying something about common sense.

Quote:

despite what you think you read, there is no magic to create oxygen and then just as miraculous make it spontaneously combust. (you sure you don't work at earthlink?)

read where? i didnt click your link if thats what youre talking about. or youre talking about the material i read when i recieved a sun emissions analyzer certification. i dont work at earthlink, and honestly, have no idea what they have to do with this conversation.

Quote:

i included that link b/c on every forum there is always some ass who either asks a million pointless questions about your answer or his brother who challenges everything you say. The link is there to save me the time. i've dealt with comments like that and people like you on the gme network for a few years now. the only good thing is the people who make them don't stick around for long before going somewhere else to troll.

then why didnt you read the link you posted? when you get your car serviced, do you go tell the tech how to remove the drain plug? this is essentially what youre doing. i mean, maybe not. maybe you think youre talking to someone who you know more about cars than. hey, it could be true. lets find out... go ahead and post your certifications, degrees and experience.

Quote:

now if you're going to stick around then great, the more the merrier. but for the good of the community lay off the java and read things a little closer next time

i dont post actively on a forum that i dont stick around on. In fact, im a moderator of another board with about 3500 registered. i dont troll, and i dont drink java. or anything else coffee based.

but wtf is this:

Quote:

i've dealt with comments like that and people like you on the gme network for a few years now.

sorry sir, but you dont know me well enough to use the phrase 'people like you'.

Saturday, December 17, 2005 8:34 PM
Blown Ecotec wrote:agreed, this retard has an obsession with posting as many smartass comments as he can

smartass, clever, maybe a little condecending... call them what you want. he still hasnt shown me on his page, yet hes still said once again, that the oxygen is burned after being separated from nitrogen.

also, you dont know me well enough to call me a retard. wait until i get a few more posts under my belt, and if you still think im a retard... feel free. im the meantime, go look up 'ad hominem abusive'
Sunday, December 18, 2005 9:42 PM
go ahead and report me, maybe all of us should take the time to do the same for you. do you even have anything good to say? didnt i see you call someone a retard in one of your posts?

condecending? wow read your own 3000 posts over the last week and lets talk about who is condecending. but post as many as you can cause for some reason you think this will make you smarter.

i hope they do ban me cause i am going to post insults back at your sorry ass every single time i see one of your stupid mouthy comments posted. maybe this will teach you to watch your know it all mouthy comments.
Sunday, December 18, 2005 9:42 PM
RETARD!
Sunday, December 18, 2005 10:00 PM
ouch... the last one hurt. i think it was the caps lock that did it.

lol... no, not really... but youre getting warmer.

no i didnt cal anyone a retard. i did say that something was 'the most retarded thing ive heard all day', or something to that extent. and why would i report you? you havent done anything wrong.

as far as the insults, dont bother. it takes quite a bit to piss me off. i mean, if it makes you happy, then okay. just dont expect insults in return. i win my arguments with fact, not insult.

but call me a retard again, just one more time for old time's sake
Monday, December 19, 2005 1:55 AM
BewstAdd1ct wrote:

oxygen is separated from the nitrogen and is burned along with the hydrocarbons in the exhaust, thereby preventing said hydrocarbons (unburned fuel for you) from entering the atmosphere.

no... the oxygen doesnt get burned. the catalyst separates the CO and the N from the O, yes, but in the oxidation bed, its bonded to make CO2 and H2O. it isnt burned... you were saying something about common sense.

Oxygen is in fact burned in the chemical reaction, there is no flame but it's still technically 'burned off' with the hydrocarbons. it's defined in that form of chemical reaction, i'm not arguing semantics here.

BewstAdd1ct wrote:
Daniel - (DSLaBuda) wrote:despite what you think you read, there is no magic to create oxygen and then just as miraculous make it spontaneously combust. (you sure you don't work at earthlink?)

read where? i didnt click your link if thats what youre talking about. or youre talking about the material i read when i recieved a sun emissions analyzer certification. i dont work at earthlink, and honestly, have no idea what they have to do with this conversation.

Read in my original post. you said:
BewstAdd1ct wrote:oxygen by itself doesn't burn.
i never stated it burned by itself, i said it was burned off with the hydrocarbons. hence the 'despite what you think you read' comment. again i am asking you to read my posts a little more closely, you'll save yourself confusion and myself time. congratulations on the certification, we also use sun diagnostic machines in the shop i work at although most aren't as enthusiastic as you. lastly the earthlink comment and the comment about "magic" should have rang a bell. if they didn't, then you haven't seen their commercials and you won't get the reference anyway so let's forget it.

BewstAdd1ct wrote:
Daniel - (DSLaBuda) wrote:i included that link b/c on every forum there is always some ass who either asks a million pointless questions about your answer or his brother who challenges everything you say. The link is there to save me the time. i've dealt with comments like that and people like you on the gme network for a few years now. the only good thing is the people who make them don't stick around for long before going somewhere else to troll.

then why didnt you read the link you posted? when you get your car serviced, do you go tell the tech how to remove the drain plug? this is essentially what youre doing. i mean, maybe not. maybe you think youre talking to someone who you know more about cars than. hey, it could be true. lets find out... go ahead and post your certifications, degrees and experience.

I actually don't let other people touch my car, i have to know the mechanic and see the quality of work they do if it's something i can't/don't want to do. sadly there are some techs, educated techs mind you, that don't know their dick from a differential. also, for whom is talking to whom; likewise. I don't have any certifications to post, at least not automotive related. I work as a service writer for large chain auto shop for the past 5 years as i put myself through college, and seeing what I've seen (here and in the IT field) I have less faith in certifications than i did at the start of those 5 years. we've have technicians in the back certified out of the ass, and they were nothing more than part installers. they couldn't diagnose anything beyond what their scanner told them. all they proved is they knew how to take a test. similar problems in the IR field, too many people using ccna study guides have no clue about the material. i got my internship for next semester (without any related certs) b/c i proved to them i had i understanding of the technology to make the right diagnosis. I will accept your offer of experience however; combined with working at this shop here (and educating what i didn't know from the techs i actually trusted with cars) for formal experience. i've also had to wrench on my own vehicles since i was 16. my caprice, nova, cavalier, & monte carlo (in that order) were all total beaters almost in the autoyard. with the exception of the monte carlo i never paid more than $400 for a car. i also diagnosed & repaired whatever the cars needed, and kept them running well past when others said they should have been junked. finally got tired of working on daily drivers so i bought my fairlane from co-worker and bought my ion for a daily driver. there's my education and experience. I figure you're looking to have a 'mine is bigger than yours' competition. i've already seen your profile and still stand by what i've said. but if it makes you feel better go ahead and whip it out.

BewstAdd1ct wrote:
Daniel - (DSLaBuda) wrote:now if you're going to stick around then great, the more the merrier. but for the good of the community lay off the java and read things a little closer next time

i dont post actively on a forum that i dont stick around on. In fact, im a moderator of another board with about 3500 registered. i dont troll, and i dont drink java. or anything else coffee based.

great, good to see another voice on the board. this ecotec specific board on the gme has been a little dead up until recently. congrats on the moderator position. it is hard to find good ones. the pc modding site i was an admin on went through them continuously for the first year. once they got the power they all abused it.

BewstAdd1ct wrote:
but wtf is this:

Daniel - (DSLaBuda) wrote:i've dealt with comments like that and people like you on the gme network for a few years now.

sorry sir, but you dont know me well enough to use the phrase 'people like you'.

forgive the generalist remark but i don't have to know you. the beauty of the internet is that we are judged on what we say. based on your replies to me and responses to my replies (see above), i feel i know enough to make the initial judgement. however feel free to change my mind. if you are really sticking around you'll have enough of a chance. there have been people I've considered tools initially that i ended up respecting, and vice versa. my comment may seem a little harsh and dismissing but i stand by it.

i await your reply.

Blown Ecotec wrote:RETARD!

that was a little uncalled for, don't you think? you can't have a community of open thought and discussion with comments like that. if you don't like the man then tell him, don't resort to name calling.

-DS
--------
But I wanna f*** it up"
Offspring - americana
Monday, December 19, 2005 7:52 PM
Oxygen is in fact burned in the chemical reaction, there is no flame but it's still technically 'burned off' with the hydrocarbons. it's defined in that form of chemical reaction, i'm not arguing semantics here.

so we'll settle with 'highly heated in order provide correct conditions for chemical reaction'. sound good?

BewstAdd1ct wrote:
Read in my original post. you said:
BewstAdd1ct wrote:oxygen by itself doesn't burn.
i never stated it burned by itself, i said it was burned off with the hydrocarbons. hence the 'despite what you think you read' comment. again i am asking you to read my posts a little more closely, you'll save yourself confusion and myself time.

I will say that i read them close enough, we were just hung up on the meaning of a word.

Quote:

congratulations on the certification, we also use sun diagnostic machines in the shop i work at although most aren't as enthusiastic as you. lastly the earthlink comment and the comment about "magic" should have rang a bell. if they didn't, then you haven't seen their commercials and you won't get the reference anyway so let's forget it.

*im not that enthusiastic. simply stating that a few certifications here and a college degree on the matter there made your reply with the link seem a bit insulting. i know you didnt mean this, and not knowing me from adam (hell im just another flamer on teh intarweb) you didnt know. now, knowing what you do about me, you see where im coming from, right?

Quote:

I actually don't let other people touch my car, i have to know the mechanic and see the quality of work they do if it's something i can't/don't want to do. sadly there are some techs, educated techs mind you, that don't know their dick from a differential. also, for whom is talking to whom; likewise. I don't have any certifications to post, at least not automotive related. I work as a service writer for large chain auto shop for the past 5 years as i put myself through college, and seeing what I've seen (here and in the IT field) I have less faith in certifications than i did at the start of those 5 years. we've have technicians in the back certified out of the ass, and they were nothing more than part installers. they couldn't diagnose anything beyond what their scanner told them. all they proved is they knew how to take a test.

indeed, i work with a few of those. one tech tried to fix a transmission problem with a full injector service, diff svc, and fuel filter. he ended up putting a TCM in it. The other day he had an air suspension problem, was looking and looking around with a flashlight and testing with a meter. he didnt have the wiring diagram because 'SI doenst have that @!#$'. within 45 seconds, i went to the computer, printed a diagram, came back to his bay and showed him a blown fuse. he had been looking for a good hour. im also pretty sure he gets paid more than me, lol.

Quote:

I will accept your offer of experience however; combined with working at this shop here (and educating what i didn't know from the techs i actually trusted with cars) for formal experience.

very well, but we have nothing else. we dont know eachother, let alone work with eachother. maybe after the both of us are around for a while, well know where the other stands.

Quote:

i've also had to wrench on my own vehicles since i was 16. my caprice, nova, cavalier, & monte carlo (in that order) were all total beaters almost in the autoyard. with the exception of the monte carlo i never paid more than $400 for a car. i also diagnosed & repaired whatever the cars needed, and kept them running well past when others said they should have been junked. finally got tired of working on daily drivers so i bought my fairlane from co-worker and bought my ion for a daily driver. there's my education and experience. I figure you're looking to have a 'mine is bigger than yours' competition. i've already seen your profile and still stand by what i've said. but if it makes you feel better go ahead and whip it out.

no, that wasnt what im shooting for. see the asterisked subreply above ^^

great, good to see another voice on the board. this ecotec specific board on the gme has been a little dead up until recently. congrats on the moderator position. it is hard to find good ones. the pc modding site i was an admin on went through them continuously for the first year. once they got the power they all abused it.

ive been with the site since its launch mid 03, been on staff for about 6 months now. Its just a regular local racing forum, though the largest in the area (state?). The admins are clear on what they like to see and are good about being open for input and all. troublemakers arent that common.

Quote:

forgive the generalist remark but i don't have to know you. the beauty of the internet is that we are judged on what we say. based on your replies to me and responses to my replies (see above), i feel i know enough to make the initial judgement. however feel free to change my mind. if you are really sticking around you'll have enough of a chance. there have been people I've considered tools initially that i ended up respecting, and vice versa. my comment may seem a little harsh and dismissing but i stand by it.

i await your reply.

very well, time shall tell. kudos for not taking a first impression overboard, though.

Quote:

Blown Ecotec wrote:RETARD!

that was a little uncalled for, don't you think? you can't have a community of open thought and discussion with comments like that. if you don't like the man then tell him, don't resort to name calling.

but this would force her to actually come up with a good reason for it. i think shes sticking with just the name calling, for now.
Friday, February 03, 2006 9:02 AM
you guys bitch way to much, your having an online argument with somebody youll probably never see in real life....
Saturday, February 04, 2006 6:49 PM
Here's the amazing thing! Why, oh why would you take time out of your life to research and re-type someone else's old posts. For one, that shows you have as much to do in life as a sloth. Get another hobby! I work at Corning Inc. I make/test catalytic convertors. Well, the cells anyways. They are designed to trap/filter the harmful emissions, and BURN them, until they are once again safe to pass the the cell walls.

Monday, February 06, 2006 6:28 AM
ian hundley wrote:you guys bitch way to much, your having an online argument with somebody youll probably never see in real life....

We arent bitching, were having a discussion. and what does an in-person interaction have to do with ANYTHING?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search