05 Ion sedan Disc Brake conversion - Suspension Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
05 Ion sedan Disc Brake conversion
Sunday, January 06, 2008 12:31 AM
Happy new year everyone!

It's been several months since I last posted anything. But, when I did post I said I would come back if and when I found anything for us lonely 05 ION sedan owners. Well, low and behold a disc brake conversion without struggling for anything. First of all, anyone who tells you that you can put the red-line disc on an ION sedan is completely incorrect. The parts are NOT compatible. Also, the red-line uses 5 lug and spacing. Whereas the sedan uses 4 lug and spacing. Any-who, now the good part....you ready, are you ready.....I said are you ready!
You can pick up the conversion and larger brake set at SSBC (http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/searchByVehicle/Saturn/ION/2005)
The rear complete kit will run you $1,297.00 and the front conversion to larger disc will run you $960.00. Upon completing this conversion your ride can only use a 17" rim or larger. So, say buy buy to the wee size rims. You're BIG Pimpin' now....LOL!!!

Hope this helps.

It's not how fast you go...But how you go fast.

Re: 05 Ion sedan Disc Brake conversion
Friday, January 11, 2008 2:19 PM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Saturn-Ion-Redline-Rear-Axle-Assembly-Disc-Brake-Spring_W0QQitemZ230168945490QQihZ013QQcategoryZ42609QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

to expensive your conversion go on ebay and buy this rear axle assembly disc brake for 250$ + shipping
Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:34 AM
Hucker, you must have missed a few points on my listing...Yes the link on e-bay is listed for a much lesser price, but no you will not save any money. Infact, the novices will just be throwing 250.00 away. The red-Line parts and the regular sedan parts are not compatible. This was verified by Saturn themselves. Also, the redline will change your lugs to five points as apposed to four point lugs on the sedan. Now you are looking at using two different set of rims on a car made to use the same set of four. Should a change like this take place you are creating a future nightmare. To eliminate any future headaches it is much wiser to spend some coin on the correct parts with no worries and best of all having some serious warranties to back up your investment. Moreover, you know that the SS brake conversion will work and comes with every part needed for the job. Now, if creating parts and making them work is your thing, then a hybrid conversion just might suit you. However, for the masses out there especially any novices new to the game with ION sedans, the true aftermarket conversion is well worth the money. As I stated in my other post, you can not make your ride a better, faster or sweeter ride, without doing it properly. Thus, doing things properly on any ride will cost some change and them some. The belief that you can upgrade your car correctly without spending money is just a myth. Thus, spending money on the full, correct and proper fits will always be the best plan route for any upgrades.
Hope this helps....

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:48 AM
ok but according to gm performance build book you can take a grand am's hubs with five stud. with my ebay part you can take the brake rotors and calipers and the attachement of it and it will be cheaper
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 8:55 PM
Hucker, you are not getting the point again as I stated before...No one is arguing the price difference. And if building a hybrid is your thing, then hey who am I to argue.
But if you are a novice, a do-it-yourselfer, or weekend mechanic, then building a disc brake conversion from multiple cars will be auto suicide. Thus, if you can perform all of what you stated in your comment, then you would know that already. Not to mention losing the 250, plus whatever else you spend on making it work. The key words here are "making it work".
For the enthusiest who wants to upgrade a Saturn Ion Sedan and wants to do it correctly, with no worries, hassles, headaches and wants to get it done over the weekend, on the first time the project is set out. Then spending the money on a kit with a full warranty, with every part needed and full instruction is without a doubt the way to go.
As I stated in my earlier comment in this forum and in other forums on this site...No one will be able to upgrade a car properly without spending money. Anyone who believes you can increase horsepower and/or do any real upgrades without spending some coin is simply fooling themselves. The question, "How can I upgrade my ride without spending a lot of money?" Simply has no answer. It is a myth. And that myth seriously needs to to be put to bed.
To be redundant, if building a hybrid is your thing, then hey who am I to argue.
But most peeps on this forum are not major hardcore mechanics or car builders. Hence why we are on this site getting and sharing answers to begin with.
Easy, Reliable, Safe upgrades are what the masses want and need. And the disc brake conversion kit I found and recommend is just that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search