F23 Torque Capacity - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
F23 Torque Capacity
Monday, October 31, 2011 10:48 AM
Does anyone know what defines a transmission's torque capacity? I have a 2008 Cobalt with an L61 and manual trans (F23, I think). Wikipedia says the F23's torque capacity is around 170 ft lb. Is the clutch what defines this? Or will the gears or other internals break if you apply too much torque? I'm asking because I want to get my Cobalt up to the 300+ hp range. I'm currently near 180 hp. If I need to replace/upgrade it, I'd rather know ahead of time so I don't go too far unknowingly and break my trans. Does anyone have any knowledge about how a transmissions's torque capacity is defined? Or any experience with this trans or replacing for other, stronger transmissions? Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,
The Ecosprout.

Re: F23 Torque Capacity
Monday, February 27, 2012 6:01 AM
Im currently running 465wtq with this tranny. A lot of people run with this tranny over the factory rate level.

The parts to be replaced is :

Stock clutch : At around 300hp (tire/wheel weight, car weight and another thing can change that.)

Differential : On the road stock diffrential often does not break. On drag strip with slick. Stock différential break at about 300 and 400 whp.

The gear case are very strong if you are good driver. Ive also change the rubber ring that is between the shifter on the tranny. I have remove the holding spring pin to put stainless rod and i have flared both end.

Scuse me for my bad english. I hope this help you !!!

Pat
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search