Pontiac G5 - possibilities? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pontiac G5 - possibilities?
Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:21 PM
Let me start off by saying that I am no mechanic, and I don't really want to learn how to become one. I have many freinds in school for auto mechanics, and they can hopefully help me through this.

I currently have a stock, 2007 Pontiac G5 with the 2.2L. I know this car is not powerful stock, whatsoever.
I don't mean to sound like a tool, but I just want this car to move faster, perform better, and be overall more powerful. I have been thinking of 3 possibilities, which I have little to no knowledge on.
Would it be possible to...
1. Turbo or supercharge
2. Twin Turbo
3. Twin charge (super and turbo)

I don't even know if any of this is possible, but if it is I want to know how.
Also, what other things could I do to make the car perform better? Intake? Chip it? Throw it in a dumpster?
I am looking to spend 10 grand or less. If you could give me some parts, details, ideas, or instructions on how to do it, I'd love you.

-Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Re: Pontiac G5 - possibilities?
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:04 PM
If you're looking to start off small, your best bet is an intake, new header, downpipe, high flow cat and full exhaust. As far as turbo/superchargers go, it's definitely possible. Hahn makes awesome turbo kits for the Ecotec(albeit expensive). Truthfully, I'm sure with enough money and work you could do either option 2 or 3 but I promise you'd be happy with the results of a good turbo kit. Another good site is cobaltss.net, someone there can help you. In the end you'd be better off piecing together a good turbo or supercharge kit.

I had something really funny to put here but it was too long.
Re: Pontiac G5 - possibilities?
Monday, November 24, 2008 7:23 PM
Yes as 04cavwithcf stated The best thing to do is drop in a cold are intake around <($200) and exhaust piping, muffler around <($100 - $300) and headers around <($300 - $500) and a high flow catalytic converter around <($150) plus the installation cost if you are not doing it yourself. Witch is most recommended. The first thing I put into my 2.2 was a cold air intake and I instantly felt the difference. As the Ecotec isn't really designed as racing in mind unless you really want to devout time and cash into it to see it start performing then I would trade it in for a camaro or monte carlo or something like that. As for the turbo unless your tuning, installing it yourself you will have to dump out your pocket for some guy to sit at a computer with a bag of doritos, crunching numbers all week while he is charging you by the hour. If you really want it to be done though then the best thing to do is replace all your engine internals and have your engine bored out and piece together a turbo kit on it or the hahn racecraft kit witch I personally don't like. that alone will cost around 10K alone in parts. unless you buy just the turbo kit for 3K with no engine internals witch then you start running risk to your engine. And again service charges out the wazoo. But all said and done all you could really hope to achieve is around 200 - 400 hp As for a chip they are all garbage for the ecotec your stock chip is more than sufficient. I believe hptuners.com has a great program for it. And for the turbo kit www.turbo-kits.com the hahn racecraft kit is on there.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search