New Car Where to Start - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Car Where to Start
Saturday, March 14, 2009 1:20 PM
Hey just got my 05 cobalt about a week ago where should i start already lowered and has exhuast ........ any ideas thanks

Re: New Car Where to Start
Sunday, March 15, 2009 2:31 PM
When you say you lowered it what do you mean? did you just get some springs or did you go all out and get a full coilover system? is all you have now are springs you should really research some shocks and struts that will go well with the springs you put on otherwise you're just going to bottom your stock ones out. This will totally kill your cornering rather than help it. If you have a decent suspension setup though and you've already put an exhaust on you should look into a cold air or short ram air intake to get more air moving....You need to decide which one you want to go with though because generally a cold-air intake gives you more high end whereas a ram air will add to your low end power. Make sure you are investing in a good intake tho.....my personal preference is the AEM V2.
Monday, March 16, 2009 1:33 PM
Not sure what kind of suspension it has i haven't got a chance to get it in the shop where i work and put it on a lift to really check things out same with the exhaust not sure what kind it has on it just bought the car last week thinking it was stock cobalt but turned out it was lowered and had exhaust on it so all awaits till one of these nights i can get it in after work so what am i looking for to tell me just whats going on with the suspension......?
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:33 AM
Alright well you should def. look into either getting the K&N cold air kit, or the AEM cold air kit....that exhaust opened up your opportunity for air going out but now you need to be able to bring more air in. you're prolly gonna want to decide soon if you are going to go with forced induction or stick with an N/A motor and build it for compression.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:54 PM
What is a good height for the car it is pretty low and needs to be some what higher for where i live but how much is good do you think ......ok probably going to put a super charger on it in the future don't have the money just yet for that process .......
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:12 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but why would you buy a car that sits low, when you need it to be higher due to the roads around where you live. I'm not trying to be a dick, is it just something overlooked?

You can prob find someone to swap suspension with. Maybe thier stock suspension will be high enough for you. Just a though.

check out http://ecotecforum.com/

And http://www.cobaltss.com/
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 3:50 PM
I have some one that's going to do no cost just looking to find a good ride height i live in new york upstate if that helps at all trying to find some ideas so i don't lose too much of the handling of the car but still be high enough to clear stuff and not bottom out pulling in and out of places.....
Sunday, March 22, 2009 9:31 AM
the "ride height" has very little to with the handling of your car......although it does hold a small part i will admit that....so put it at any level u want except for above the stock level lol. if you want to see handling changes than you should look into sway bars, strut bars, wheel spacers, and shocks/springs with a good spring rate for what you're looking for, and some really sticky tires.
Monday, March 23, 2009 9:18 AM
Ok so it won't change how it hugs the road in the corners and grips cause as it is right now handles well and like it just didn't want to lose that by rising it up so thats good to know ....... so any other ideas on what to do to give it more power ........
Monday, March 23, 2009 6:49 PM
well with an exhaust already on the car you def. need to get some sort of air intake...just research them on each company's website and see what the dyno graph shows. just pick the one that improves power in whatever part of the rpm range you like. They're all a little different but they all pretty much do the same thing. generally adding 5-7hp. you could look into getting some stage 1 cams just to get acquainted with them if you haven't worked with cam installation. they work pretty well without any tuning and definitely give a noticeable gain in power.
Monday, March 23, 2009 7:13 PM
Do this the smart way.

What are your overall goals for this car. How much hp/tq do you want to achieve?

Don't waste money on performance mods that will be useless to you later on.

For example, if you decide to go turbo, don't waste x amount of dollars on an exhaust header now, when you will be replacing it with a turbo manifold later.

Same for an intake or intake manifold, if you plan on going with the GM supercharger. Get the picture? Figure out how much power you want, and how to get there.

Friday, March 27, 2009 6:44 PM
hp like 200 for now in future will most likely go with gm supercharger so thats what i am looking for
Saturday, March 28, 2009 1:04 PM
The charger will give you around 200 hp. other than a turbo or nitrous, you're not gonna get to 200. you can have every bolt on and still not even be close.
Monday, March 30, 2009 1:13 PM
Sorry but this statement is very untrue......there are many ways you can get to 200 hp without a turbo, nitrous, or a supercharger....don't get me wrong small bolt ons will prolly only get you about 20 hp. but there are plenty of motors out there running way over 200 hp N/A. Like I stated before...just decide whether you want to run N/A or with forced induction and then go from there. I'd be more than happy to help you out once you've decided that.
Monday, March 30, 2009 2:21 PM
That is true. You are right about that, but think about this, cams get you maybe 20 hp, with good tuning. The only other way I know to drastically increase hp N/A would be high compression pistons. And I'm talking like 14 to 1. I saw a few years back some people in Europe posted a sheet on here with hp ratings N/A and 1 or 2 were at 200 or just above it. I can't even imagine trying to tune that but obviously it can be done.

So if you really want 200ish N/A, say you go high comp pistons, when you want a super/turbo you would want the opposite way for comp with your pistons. And you would be wasting money on more pistons.

I would agree with jeremy, decide weather you want to go N/A or forced induction. And decide "best bang for you buck".

My car dynoed 190hp with the supercharger kit. A decent turbo kit would put you well beyond that with the proper tuning.
Monday, March 30, 2009 5:38 PM
Both routes have their advantages and disadvantages. In the end the simpler route is probably forced induction because it's an overall easier process. Although, you will find in many circumstances that a turbo kit requires in most circumstances a couple good tunes to get it right and is sometimes a very risky process on an otherwise stock motor. On the other hand when you build for an N/A setup, generally you are rebuilding the motor to a near new state by replacing and revitalizing parts inside the motor that usually fail. While doing so, you are also increasing power by increasing the volume in the combustion chamber, increasing air flow through the head, dialing in the right a/f mix, and efficiently getting the exhaust gases out. It can really generate more power than you think when done right.
Wednesday, April 08, 2009 4:34 AM
Ok so iam going to with the gm super charger so what should I do to start like with inner cooler new exhaust intake where
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search