timing chain? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
timing chain?
Saturday, December 01, 2012 7:20 PM
Well it was bound to happen. My daughter lives 300 miles away and has a 2004 Malibu with the 2.4 ecotech. Been a great car. Absoulety no problems, just regular maintenace. I have serviced it regulary since we bought it when she comes home every few months for a visit. She called today and she is dead in the water. She drove home last night from work with no problems evident and this morning it wont start. It has new battery, plugs and serpentine belt installed this spring. She was told starter by neighbor it might be starter but she sent me a video from her phone and the car is turning over (belts are turning) so the starter is engaging but when the key is let go you can hear a rattle continue for a few seconds. Does this sound like a timing chain or tensioner issue to anyone? She has no one to go to so I hate to have it towed to some random shop that I have no way of knowing if she will get taken. My only other choice is to take a car trailer over and haul it home to a mechanic here that I use. My repair skills are limited to basic maintenace. oil changes, belts, water pumps and starters etc. The car has 110,000 miles on it. I sure would appreciate any help.

Thanks for any help, Charb

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search