Noob Intro and Parts Source Question - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Noob Intro and Parts Source Question
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:52 AM
Hey, all. Noob here. Just checking in!

Me: 27 year old software engineer in RTP, North Carolina.
My car: A dysfunctional, base, cheaply acquired 1985 Pontiac Fiero 2M4.
My plans: LE5 or LSJ swap into it.

I know most of the specifics, including the needed modifications to the rear cradle. The mechanical/fabrication requirements aren't an issue for me. The issue I'm having is sourcing parts. If I source everything I need individually, it'll all run me way more than I can afford at this juncture. However, purchasing a donor car for the swap will give me everything I need in short order for much cheaper.

Here's my issue:
I tried CoPart. I'm either getting out-bid to the tune of 5k plus by people sniping auctions, or I'm getting runarounds/BS information from non-local facilities. (One was listed as 'runs and drives certified,' but when I arrived for a check, it was rod-knocking so hard that there's no way they were able to certify it. It wouldn't stay running.)

My question:
Anyone know where I can get a reasonably-priced LE5 or LSJ donor? Doesn't have to be local. Just reputable and preferably under $3,000.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be posting more questions as I start to dig in and build this thing out. But one step at a time. Need to source parts, first!

~1985 Pontiac Fiero 2m4
~2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T
~2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Re: Noob Intro and Parts Source Question
Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:54 PM
Look at the LK9s. It is the 2.0L turbo engine out of the 2003+ Saab 93s. It is basically the same as the LSJ(except that it is turbocharged instead of supercharged). It is easier to find a healthy one than a LSJ, plus i do believe they are cheaper.

Re: Noob Intro and Parts Source Question
Thursday, February 26, 2015 11:16 PM
Do you have your own car? Almost everyone experienced being a noob about cars but as time goes by and you are driving your own car you get to see the adjustments needed on your car. Getting the parts is easy as long as you know a good dealer like auto parts warehouse. What's difficult is getting the parts that will make your car perform better.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search