Need some help identifying a 2.2 Ecotec - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need some help identifying a 2.2 Ecotec
Sunday, May 10, 2020 11:46 AM
Need some help/advice on a 2.2 Ecotec

I have an 85 Fiero with the Iron Duke 4 cylinder. I also have a 2.2 Ecotec and a 5-speed transmission that I want to swap into the Fiero. Here's my issue. I got the engine and transmission for free, but I'm not sure what year they are, or what they came out of. There are salvage-yard paint pen markings on both, but I don't know if they're accurate. The engine says 2005 Malibu, and the Transmission says 05 Cobalt. I'm not too concerned about the transmission as it's attached to the engine, and so, therefore it should work. All I'll have to do is figure out a shift linkage and hydraulic connection to the slave cylinder. However, I'm not certain about which engine I have, so I'm not sure what standalone ECU/Harness to order. Is there some number cast onto the engine somewhere that might help identify it? There is a sticker on the front of the engine that might have had the engine ID number at some point, but it's either faded or been peeled off - either way, there's nothing visible on it now.

Any help would be very appreciated. I can post pictures if needed.

Thanks,
Dennis

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search