2.2L Newb with an 07 Malibu (Former SAAB owner) - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2L Newb with an 07 Malibu (Former SAAB owner)
Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:20 PM
Howdy.
I'm new to the 2.2 Ecotec in my 07 Malibu, but I'm very familiar with the 2.0T in the SAAB 9-3SS and the old school 2.0 and 2.3s in the 9-5s and old 9-3s. I'm psyched about having the new Malibu (which can be had at a killer deal now, if anyone is thinking about it), but I have a few questions.

First of all, what can I do without voiding the powertrain warranty. I intend to keep the car, basically forever, and want to make sure I can go in and get all of my issues sorted at the 4 year - 9 month mark (Yes, it feels like my transmission is slipping! ) I know at some point I want to look into the plausibility (if any) of putting the 9-3SS rear end in it (so far it looks like it should be reasonably straightforward, have to take precise measurements though).

For right now, I want to get the thing moving. The V6 options advertise 200+hp while the 2.2 is stuck in the 150hp range. I'd like to get as close to that 200 range as possible WITHOUT boost right now. (If I ever get to a point where I want boost I'll look into the HFV-6 B284 as a possibility, as that's ready to rock at roll with 300+hp.)

(Feel free to correct any of the following)

I'm thinking start with air. Intake and exhaust. Does anyone make parts specifically for the newer Malibus? Or will I be making my own intake and paying someone to build me an exhaust manifold? Is there an ideal size on the exhaust side? 2.5"? Larger? At what point will I begin to lose torque (I'm a firm believer in "screw hp, give me ftlb!)?

Following that, are there other cams that I could take advantage of for this motor?

Where should I head after that? Is the TB a restriction? Are there other options?

Obviously, I don't want to mess with internals, as that would get costly very quick for minimal gains without boost.

Should I consider nitrous as having serious potential on this motor?

Does anyone offer ECM flashes with aftermarket firmware? Would I observe any benefit in trying GM firmware used on other 2.2s? (Let's just say I have "access" to any GM software)

This car is the DD, and I love the mileage on long trips, but I'd like a little more power when I need it. What am I thinking right? What am I thinking wrong? What am I missing altogether? Do I ask too many questions for one thread? lol.

Any help or ideas here are certainly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

Re: 2.2L Newb with an 07 Malibu (Former SAAB owner)
Saturday, September 29, 2007 5:00 PM
Welcome to the Forum

Can I ask why you're trying to keep away from forced induction?

There is no GM reflash for you to use nor software.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, September 30, 2007 6:52 AM
Well of course. 20 for 1 is only fair, right?

I love boost. I'm a boost addict. Superchargers, Turbochargers, I love them with all my heart. But I've never done anything more than intake on an NA car (truck) before.
Even if I can't get to the 200 mark without gas, I'd like to see how far I can go. Does that make any sense?

Also, this platform is already setup to take the HFV6, which coincidentally is offered as a turbocharged 280HP 296Ft lb in the 08 1/2 saab 9-3. So right about the time I'm going out of warranty, I should be able to get my hands on the bits and pieces necessary for a swap. Then I'll have my boost and start off with a good platform to let me shoot for a 400HP goal. Right now I just want a little more pickup (available immediately with no lag), preferably from parts that either won't void the warranty or that I can replace with the factory parts should I need to go in. (I should have mentioned I'll be doing all the work myself aside from welding exhaust components.)

Hopefully there's some sort of train of thought there. I'm being distracted by a puppy.
Monday, October 01, 2007 5:03 PM
Woops, I just realized I changed my username Ubermich = Rick Hecker. Sorry if that was confusing.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search