DIY Intake - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DIY Intake
Thursday, December 16, 2004 8:50 PM
has anyone made a diy (do it yourself) intake for there cavalier 2.2 Eco
i have an 04, and i really dont feel like shelling out 300 bucks for one, so i wanted to make one myself, if anyone has any pics of what they did/used/how well it worked it would be appreciated

Re: DIY Intake
Thursday, December 16, 2004 10:31 PM
I have a 04 Ion, and did a DIY intake. I tried cold air at first, but then read this book called "How To Tune And Modify Engine Managment Systems" by Jeff Hartman. There are some mathematical formulas that he uses to find out what lengths and diameters would be best for your engine application. I ditched my DIY cold air setup, and punched in the Ecotec numbers. Then I got the materials and did it, and MAN DID IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE! The pickup in third feels ungodly, like your still in second and at 12,000 rpms. I will post picks soon as I figure out how. New to the site.
Friday, December 17, 2004 12:48 AM
well im out of posts on the org so ill post here

i cut out the drivers side of the airbox it is louder but i dont really think of it as a performance gain in horse power it sounded cool i guess or there is another way ill post in a few min i got to find it <br>

its a cavalier i should get 2 cars and the hit
Friday, December 17, 2004 12:51 AM
heres the link my freind hector did his intake this way

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=47&i=16911&t=16911 <br>

Friday, December 17, 2004 2:38 PM
Is there any real reason to remove "the bong" if you put on an aftermarket intake? Might as well leave it there in case you want to put it back to stock to sell it or something.
Friday, December 17, 2004 8:21 PM
Dude, what's the "bong" that you are refering to here? I'm a little clueless.... <br>

"When the levee breaks, momma you got to move" - Led Zeppelin
Man, I was born twenty years too late. I wish they were still around.
Friday, December 17, 2004 9:13 PM
the bong is behind the bumper, close to the wheelwell and it sucks up the air that goes into the airbox
Saturday, December 18, 2004 12:37 AM
i left the bong on because it still throws moving air into the vacinity of the air box even though it is cut out <br>

Saturday, December 18, 2004 6:23 AM
Leaving the bong in won't do anything. Open space will allow air to flow better than a convaluted piece of plastic...
<br>

Saturday, December 25, 2004 11:30 PM
Friday, January 07, 2005 11:42 AM
If you remove the bong, you will have a nice open hole. This will allow you to make a custom ram air set up. I ran some flex tube from the front of my dragon filter, through the bongs hole, down to my lower grille near my fog lamps, then made an aluminum air scoop to force air in as I drive. You can get creative with this if you don't have fog lamps installed, but have the insert for them. You can buy the material at Home Depot, Lowes, or ACE Hardware in the A/C areas.

Friday, January 07, 2005 4:13 PM
well i wussed out an ordered an AEM CAI from someone on jbo, i like my foglights to much to take em out hahaha
Friday, January 21, 2005 4:26 AM
i made my intake-temp untill i can get my weapon r secret weapon intake-the black box over the throttle body is still there-but the piping and air box arent used anymore-i took a 3-3" coupling and about a 2" piece of 3" intake piping and a filter-i'll post a pic w/this

"I can't believe you are doin all this to a Cavalier!"-Everybody Else
"Hey-at least its not a damn civic!!"-ME
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search