400 hp at the wheels w/ e-tec 2.2 turbo,practical? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
400 hp at the wheels w/ e-tec 2.2 turbo,practical?
Monday, March 28, 2005 10:06 PM
Hi,
I am thinking about do a 2.2 L ecotec turbo swap in an 88 Fiero, but I have a couple of questions. Mainly, how practical is this to do? By practical I mean, would I beable to run on pump gas with the engine being dead realiable. I would want to make atleast 400 horsepower at the wheels. I am having an internal struggle with myself on either doing a LS6 swap or modified ecotec turbo. Also, I've heard that a new 2.4 ecotec with several new features should be out soon, should I just wait for this engine?
Thanks

Re: 400 hp at the wheels w/ e-tec 2.2 turbo,practical?
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 3:37 AM
First please don't call it e-tec that makes us sound like the crappy v-tec or fords spin off the z-tec and we are much better than that. As an answer 400 at the wheels is possible but only for a lot of $$ you'd have to run upwards of 20psi of boost which would then require nearly every internal modification in the book as far as a 2.4 ecotec i haven't heard anything but you would still have to run a lot of boost, and running that much boost is never a good thing when it comes to reliability.
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 6:50 AM
Hey Ryan I have a friend that has a bad azz Fiero that he put a 3.4 into. I will have to get a list of the mods that he has done and what not but I know that I would not want to mess with it. Anyhow let me know if that is something you are interested in. Oh yeah and as far as reliability it is a everyday driver for him..so!
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:43 AM
Thanks for the info. I only called it an e-tec to fit it in the thread title, I know it sounds bad though. I am pretty familiar with what is required for an engine swap into the fiero, so it won't be necessary to hunt down that info Michael, thanks for the suggestion though. I think I am going to swap in a LS6 or maybe an LS2 instead, they are only about 30lbs heavier than the stock motor. Again, thanks for the info.
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:16 PM
400 Hp is achievable, the internal mods are new pistons and rods. The crank is good to over 400 but less than 500hp. At 400+ it is a risk with the crank.

As for the 2.4, I believe that will have the variable valve timing and would probably be much more complicated. 350hp is much safer and less costly. Still need pistons and rods but the crank is solid at 350hp. The stock valve train is acceptable for both applications.
Sunday, April 03, 2005 10:30 AM
Pontiac fiero, what a great car, over looked in many ways. i would personally go with a ls6. a ls6 would be easier to install and alot cheaper to acheive 400hp cuz it already has it. so you would have the reliability of a corvette. a eco-tech would take a little more creativity to put in, also alot of money to acheive 400hp. your talkin beafin up the bottom end, running a turbo with alot of boost. Tho the 400hp eco in a pontiac fiero would be cool as @!#$ and impress alot of people, the ls6 would turn just as many heads. If your fiero is only funning a v4 you could upgrade to a six very cheap. a chevy 3.1l and 3.6l are almost direct swaps. This site has a convertoin kit for the fiero.
www.v8archie.com

Friday, April 08, 2005 2:58 PM
Like everyone said, you'd DEFENITLEY need to change all internals. Also, you'd have to get some low compression pistons to push 400+...our 10:1 wouldn't do as well. You would defenitley need a great engine management system like AEM's EMS which is pretty much a new computer and you can control everything. When you get up in high horsepower #s, it takes alot to maintain that power and be reliable. Good luck.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, April 15, 2005 3:17 PM
i got an 04 sunfire with a highly built motor just sitting there waiting for me to drop it in. i'll be running around 18 psi of boost. that should get me to 350 to the ground

ECOTEC DECALS NOW FOR SELL. EMAIL ME.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search