Lower Mount Install - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lower Mount Install
Saturday, April 23, 2005 6:52 PM
Tools Required;
15mm wrench and/or socket
7mm socket (1/4" drive)
1/2" breaker bar, and 1/2" drive sockets
1/2" extensions
1/4" nut driver
Lug Wrench
Mallet
Jack and Jack Stands
A little bit of Grease

OK - here we go.

First thing you want to do is jack up the car, rest it on the jack stand and remove the front passenger side wheel, and then the wheel well cover.

After everything is exposed, you will see where the lower mount is located.

Take your jack and use it to support the weight of the engine for when the mount is removed. Now, grab your 15mm and take out the bolts holding in the mount.

Here is the stock mount on top, and the replacement on the bottom;

As you can see, the mount needs a little help fitting in the bracket

So thats when you wanna grease it up;

Now use the mallet and knock that bitch in there.

Put the bolts back in after everything is lined up, and you are done...

Props to Stevefire for help on the install!

Re: Lower Mount Install
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 2:53 PM
nice instruction's but im wondering how long it took you... there is no need to remove the wheel well cover i did mine in 5 min but the diffrence is i used an impact to get the bolts out and the wheel off but nonetheless nice instructions

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:02 PM
Thanks man. Yeah I know it's not a "necessity" to romove the wheel well and what not, but it makes the install easier, and easier to take pics too! lol

IIRC, it took us maybe 30 minutes to do everything, but we weren't really givn er either.

Friday, April 29, 2005 4:59 AM
nice!

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Saturday, April 30, 2005 8:56 AM
Will this fix the funny noise I have coming from under the front end? It is the one lots of other are referring to in a thread in the maintenance forums titled "what's wrong with the ecotecs" or something similar.
Sunday, May 01, 2005 4:54 PM
Hi Don;

I don't think this would fix the problem as you describe it. It sounds more like you have something wrong with the suspention, maybe even the CA bushings if it's happening when you are cornering.

If your lower mount was gone, you'd know for sure. You'd get a hell of a vibration when ever then car was at a stop, but in gear, and it would go away if you shift into Neutral.

If anything adding the lower mount will work loose a few more noises in the interior.

Monday, May 02, 2005 1:45 AM
Did you notice any difference with just the lower installed? I read lots of posts on the mounts, and there all back and forth, saying the upper alone can hold the engine, or the lower can alone, or both.

I just wanted to know if the lower alone keeps the engine from rocking at all, and if you noticed any improvments.

I dont have money for both the mounts right now, so i plan on getting just the lower.
Monday, May 02, 2005 10:27 AM
id wrote:Did you notice any difference with just the lower installed? I read lots of posts on the mounts, and there all back and forth, saying the upper alone can hold the engine, or the lower can alone, or both.

I just wanted to know if the lower alone keeps the engine from rocking at all, and if you noticed any improvments.

I dont have money for both the mounts right now, so i plan on getting just the lower.

Thanks for the reply, ti was a bit much to hope for I guess.

A buddy has a nice littel shop, and we are going to look at the problem this weekend.
Monday, May 02, 2005 6:33 PM
id wrote:Did you notice any difference with just the lower installed? I read lots of posts on the mounts, and there all back and forth, saying the upper alone can hold the engine, or the lower can alone, or both.

I did notice a subtle difference. You do feel that the motor is definetly more secure, and it's a nice feeling you are getting more applied HP and TQ to the wheels. As far as interior vibrations, it wasn't anything that I found to be annoying or anything that I don't want to have. In fact, I prefer the way the car feels with the mount. Like I said before, you can feel more of the power of the car with it in.

No one mount alone will "hold" the engine as you say. If you ever get a chance to look at the stock mounts on our car you'll see they both have a lot of room for movement. You can use your hands to move the different parts of the mount that are separated by rubber. If you are serious about adding performance to your vehicle, you'll want to get both mounts and not just settle for one.

That being said, if you can only afford the lower, I say go for it. It will give you a good idea of what's involved, You can always take it out if you don't like it - lots of people have. The upper and lower are both so easy to do that if you wanted to use them in race applications only it wouldn't take that much time to swap them both out. I guess the bottom line is really what you want for your own car. There is a definite performance/comfort factor here and that's up to you. At least with these mods, it's something cheap (under $200 for both) so if it doesn't work out, you won't have a problem getting someone to take them off your hands.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 12:13 AM
Thanks influx. I plan on getting both, moneys just tight right now since im still focused on the body work. Thats why i mentioned the lower cause its cheaper. But i do plan to get both.
Thursday, May 05, 2005 11:07 PM
Right on - go with the Lower, then spring for the upper when you can.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search