Saturn Eco & Cavalier Eco parts? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Saturn Eco & Cavalier Eco parts?
Saturday, May 28, 2005 8:40 AM
I am going to be doing a swap from 2200 to Ecotec. I know what parts I need.

What I was wondering is can the parts from a saturn Ecotec work in the cavalier Ecotec?
ECM, wiring harness, BCM, and sensors.

Some part numbers don't seem to be the same. Leading me to belive that they wouldn't, but they are same exact engine & trans in Ion as in Cavalier.

Mostly, I want to know if the wring harness is the same.

Re: Saturn Eco & Cavalier Eco parts?
Saturday, May 28, 2005 11:38 AM
Don`t waste your time, it`s gonna cost you a fortune.
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:55 AM
sapporo wrote:Don`t waste your time, it`s gonna cost you a fortune.

If you do everything yourself and use junkyard parts, it will not cost that much at all. Quite a few people have done this swap and have been very happy with the Eco.

Xian:
If you really want to do this, check out j-body.org. Quite a few guys have done it and then boosted the engine and are putting down awesome numbers. I'm sure they will be happy to help you if they can. I used to have the 2200 and now I have an Eco.....I completely understand why you would want to swap.
As far as the Saturn vs. Cheverolet, I'm not sure. I know many parts are the same, but there ARE differences as well. I'm not sure how significant the differences are, but I know they are there. Good luck!

Also...if you are hell bent on a motor swap.....maybe swap to a 3800 for a little s/c action? Check out raven's car on jbo.
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 6:28 PM
For starters, I work at a saturn dealership. I have gotten an ecotec, with either a bad head gasket or head, for free. The engine is 2005 and has only 650 miles on it. Since I planned on machining the head anyways, that is not a problem. The bottom end and intake are completely fine. As I said the head still maybe good.

I have the knowledge, skills and I plan on doing myself.
I have calculated the price, and since I work at a dealership, I get everything a dealer cost. So, the price issue is not going to be a problem.

Honestly, without dealer cost, it would cost anywhere from $500-$1500 dollars depending on what the junkyard will charge.

Now what I found would cost a fortune, would be to transform the 2.2 eco to 2.0 SC.
Which can be done, since the bare blocks are the exact same, but probably cheaper to just by the 2.0 sc.

blueakron04:
Thanks alot for the input. I have talked to suncavi, who has done quite a few swaps. Thats how I know exactly what I need.

I think I'll just bug a friend at the chevy dealership for part numbers and what not, and compare them to saturn numbers.

Thanks again
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:26 PM
Xian G wrote:I am going to be doing a swap from 2200 to Ecotec. I know what parts I need.

What I was wondering is can the parts from a saturn Ecotec work in the cavalier Ecotec?
ECM, wiring harness, BCM, and sensors.

Some part numbers don't seem to be the same. Leading me to belive that they wouldn't, but they are same exact engine & trans in Ion as in Cavalier.

Mostly, I want to know if the wring harness is the same.

some parts are different, a lot are the same.

so far, i've noticed:
the ion uses electric power steering, the cavalier uses hydraulic.
the ion uses the CAN protocol for it's computer system, the cavalier is OBD2.

any others, please add them.

some of these can be used to your advantage, you can use the saturn acc drive to eliminate the power steering and save some weight/hp.

things for others with eco j's to compare: my ecu/bcm? (05 ion) is mounted in the engine bay on the drivers side. my stock airbox is routed to the passenger side (battery in trunk).
isn't the j ecu/bcm inside the vehicle? also isn't the stock intake on the driver side by the battery?

<br>
-DS
Thursday, June 02, 2005 4:36 AM
Thanks Daniel.
You are correct. My ecm is on the passanger side of engine comp., but my bcm is in the car under the dash on driver's side. Yes, the intake is on the driver's side, with the battery.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search