500 HP Turbo Ecotec Fiero Project - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
500 HP Turbo Ecotec Fiero Project
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 4:52 PM
I'm starting a turbo Ecotec swap into my Fiero. Goal HP is a 500 for now.
I figured I didn't need to purchase a new crate for 2-3k when I'm going to have to replace everything. The resell value didn't come close to even. So I purchased a bare block. I'd like to use a manual transmission but I haven't found one that can handle the power output of the engine. So right now I'm looking at the 4t65-e. What kind of abuse can the 5 speeds that are put in Sunfire's and Cavalier's handle?

Here's my current shopping list:
Stock cylinder head - port and polish
Stainless Competition Valves
Competition Dual Valve Springs
Forged Pistons .020 over
Forged Connecting Rods
Fabricated Alum. Intake Manifold with 75mm (2.94inch) LS 1 throttle body
Lightened Crankshaft (until I can afford the GM racing one)

I don't know much about the Ecotec so I'm just wondering what some of you guru's think.

Re: 500 HP Turbo Ecotec Fiero Project
Thursday, June 02, 2005 5:04 AM
Did you post this on pennock's (Fiero.nl) yet? I know a few guys have talked about it and some have done some (n/a). I love the fiero's because you can put so many different drivetrains in them.

You've come to the right site to find stuff to build the eco up. I'd like to see it when it is done and what the project involved putting in and cost because were doing some other fiero projects. we already did a 3.4L SC swap in one of the 88 GT's my buddy has. We're trying to get it to the bash this year along with his 88 gt CJB car.

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Thursday, June 02, 2005 5:41 AM
The Getrag trannies are pretty robust, not sure how much they can handle though. At least 300whp, that's just a guess.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 3:35 PM
Yes I've posted on PFF (Fiero.nl). A lot of people are showing interest, but there's only 2 or 3 that know much about the Ecotec. If the Getrag can only handle 300HP I'll brake it before I leave the shop. =[ Do you guys know of any 'beef up' kits for the 5 speed Getrags?
Sunday, June 05, 2005 10:48 PM
We are on the same project. I'm building a nice daily driver, though. I'm HellYes at fiero.nl.

Right now I am collecting parts. I have a 2.2 eco and a no option 87 base coupe with the isuzu 5-spd. I saw your post at fiero.nl. Good to have more people working on this.

I plan to make my adapter plate, as the people who have made then are not exactly being helpful. If you decide to go with a fiero trans, I'd be happy to copy my plate for you.

The big pain in the ass will be getting a thick flywheel to make up for the adapter. The mounting of the eco's starter makes it impossible to push it an extra half inch foreward to engage. Archie uses this type of flywheel on his V8 kits, so i might have to drive up there and pick his brain.

On your trans durability concern, you have very little to worry about. The HP will not be a really big deal. People run V8's with more power than that on it just fine.
Monday, June 13, 2005 6:22 AM
Ok guys, check the new GM book, it's a guide to built engine from 140hp(stock) to 400, 400 to 600, 600 to 1000 and 1000 to 1400 hp. It also have a section about transmissions upgrades. I don't know nothing about those transmissions.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search