5-speed swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
5-speed swap
Monday, May 09, 2005 4:18 PM
i have a '02 sunfire and i want to swap out the 4-speed auto for a 5-speed....i was wondering if anyone has successfully done this and also was hoping that someone could help me with a list of things ill need for this....any help would be great

Re: 5-speed swap
Tuesday, May 10, 2005 10:36 PM
You better have some time and a big wallet if your getting it done by someone. But good luck to you

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:19 PM
I have been considering doing it since i have the cvt transmission in my Ion. A buddy did this on a 99 Trans Am (6 spd to Auto) and said it wasnt that hard, biggest peice of advice he gave me was to find a car that is as close to yours as possible and get the pieces (harness, computer, transmission, pedals, the hole nine yards) from it
Wednesday, June 08, 2005 9:59 AM
Not sure about sunfires, but since they are exact to cavaliers. I've seen on JBO, that you have to cut the mounting brackets off the frame & weld them to your frame.

Search the j-body.org forums for info about the swap.
Saturday, June 11, 2005 10:27 AM
I too had an 02 Sunfire and had planned to do the exact same thing, (it's a pretty easy swap) I even purchased a brand new Getrag 287 5-speed from my dealer for $1900!
specs: http://www.getrag.com/179/179
But then before I had a chance to do it, my GF wrote off my car and I now have a 2004 Saturn ION. I had planned to just keep it as a spare (the ION uses the same tranny) but this thing's so freakin bullet-proof, I just cant see keepin it. so If you are interested in a brand-new stil in box Getrag 5speed at a fraction of it's cost - PM me
WOT
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search