Need Some Help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need Some Help
Sunday, March 20, 2005 1:04 AM
So I am a college student on a limited budget maybe 400$ to 500$ can be spent on it this summer. I have a base model cavy with rims and i just installed an intake. My question is would it benefit me more to invest in a 62mm throttle body or a Header (would have to bolt up to stock exhaust for now)? I also have another question...would a strut tower brace do anything to help me with a stock suspension setup. I have dont multiple searches and haven't found any clear cut answers. Im playing all this by ear so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Josh

Re: Need Some Help
Sunday, March 20, 2005 3:53 AM
If you sepnt a little time searching eBay, you could probably do both.
Sunday, March 20, 2005 9:18 AM
Yeah ive been keeping an eye on ebay...so far i haven't found what i need yet...although that is where i want the throttle body from...no core charge. But honestly if i have to choose which way should i go? Someone has to be able to help me. Please.
Sunday, March 20, 2005 11:40 AM
Getting gas in is usually harder than getting exhaust out. With that said, I think the exhaust will be fine and I would concentrait on the more gas part.
Sunday, March 20, 2005 11:46 AM
if its a 5 speed i would buy the short throw
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:01 AM
For performance I would do the header.

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:16 AM
From what I have been told the biggest bottleneck in the stock ecotec setup is the exhaust.
I think you would be good to spend the money on a good 4-2-1 header, pickup some low end torque. You already have the intake, then when you get a little more money you can do the throttle body.

Friday, March 25, 2005 7:20 PM
well, as far as the strut tower bar, it made a huge difference in handling. for 80 bucks it is definitely the best thing you can do for suspension and actuolly feel the difference. on the t/b, i didnt feel much of a difference when i put it on. maybe in top end but it wasnt much. just get an intake, that made the biggest diff. i dont plan on the t/b doing much untill i upgrade my exhaust to move it out.

Sunday, March 27, 2005 10:44 AM
header

(I have a bored TB...not impressed)

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Sunday, May 01, 2005 10:45 PM
Throttle body from rsm i believe puts down 10hp at the wheels and is like 400 bucks if you save like another 100 bucks you could get a pacesetter header and put down some decent numbers for the money.

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Thursday, May 12, 2005 5:36 PM
Ok so header it is. Question number two if i get the header without the exhaust to match (stock exhaust) what will that realistically do. Would it help to get a high flow cat at all?

Saturday, June 11, 2005 5:00 PM
it will bottle neck after the header, if you get the header put it on with the pipes as far back as the cat, you can get an good magnaflow cat for less than a $100 on ebay and have it all welded up at a shop you should be able to get it done with a muffler and 2.25 or 2.5 all the way back, for around $200.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search