ECOTEC N/A results in Europe - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ECOTEC N/A results in Europe
Sunday, March 26, 2006 6:14 AM
We have this engine in the Vauxhall VX220/Opel Speedster and somone in Italy even got 245 HP out of his, just separate TB:s 12:1 CR and P&P head and cams!

Re: ECOTEC N/A results in Europe
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 12:14 AM
NICE!

What octane gas?
Thursday, March 30, 2006 12:22 PM
Damn! 12:1 CR Pistons, thats crazy. I've only seen 10.5:1 CR Pistons. Where did he/she get them???

Friday, March 31, 2006 11:09 PM
Alex wrote:Damn! 12:1 CR Pistons, thats crazy. I've only seen 10.5:1 CR Pistons. Where did he/she get them???

If you really wanted 12:1 CR Pistons, they can be made...it's not that difficult to order them. Contact Karo @ Car Customs (www.carcustoms.net)

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, April 03, 2006 6:35 PM
If I wanted them then yeah i'd get them but i'm going the boosted path like yourself so...

Monday, April 03, 2006 9:26 PM
Alex wrote:If I wanted them then yeah i'd get them but i'm going the boosted path like yourself so...

Good idea

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, April 16, 2006 7:12 AM
Wiseco ones?
Sunday, April 16, 2006 7:15 AM
Incidently 10,5:1 CR is standard on our ECOTECS. I´ll have 11,5:1 in mine
Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:44 AM
Hi,

I would be interested about the cams which are used, who is the manufacturer and what are valve lifts and timings? Mechanical or hydraulics? Std. rockers or modified?

Regards Udo
Tuesday, July 11, 2006 1:03 PM
You guys do know that the Europe standard of horse power measurement is different then ours right ? In the US this is probubly a 210 - 220 hp engine.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 11:32 PM
Jackalope wrote:You guys do know that the Europe standard of horse power measurement is different then ours right ? In the US this is probubly a 210 - 220 hp engine.
whats different about it? i thought the US and Canada both measured BHP now, isnt that what he had measured as well?

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 7:43 AM
Europe uses a metric measurment where as we use a standard one. EXAMPLE, the new Bugatti Veyron in Europe's HP measurment is produces 1001 hp BUT the US and Canada standard of HP measurment put the car at 987 hp. Its the whole converting metric to standard thing and its messed up more then one car manufacturer in the past. Look at the Mazda RX-8, when it was first released the company "forgot" to convert the hp measurments and in doing so reported almost 20 more HP then the car had useing our standard of measurment. Mazda, very embaressed about the whole thing gave new owners 3 choices to make up for the missing horses. New owners could return the car for a full refund, new owners could get several thousand dollers worth of Mazda Speed stuff FREE! or they could take a couple grand off the price of the car. needless to say Mazda fixed the mistake but it did cost them.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 8:20 PM
yes europe is metric, but that would mean that his power would be in kW and torque in N m...he specified 245 hp, is measuring torque in lb-ft and not N m. he is comparing apples to apples. hp to hp, no conversions are necessary.
Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:54 PM
Guys,

in Europe is official mesured in kW, but lots of Tuners and even the car manufacturer
will state their power figures in bhp as well, it`s absolutly standard. The 245 bhp are really bhp, not kW. Furthermore, in US the power is measured in SAE HP, and this is much less than Europe bhp. Old big block engines with 330 SAE-HP will have just
maybe 280 Europe bhp, but this is the way how to measure. SAE power will be determined without air filter, exhaust, no power steering pump, no alternator a.s.o., I don`t know the exact scales. This may be changed the last few years by trying to standarzise these issues. @ torque: lbs-torque X 1,36 = Nm-Torque. 200 lbs = 272 Nm. It´s the same factor as the calculation from Bhp to kW just by chance.

Regards Udo
Thursday, July 13, 2006 5:09 AM
So please explain how the Bugatti Veryon with its Europien measurment of 1001 hp BUT is only a US measured 987 hp. Now if you can explain how this is and why Motor Trend magizine, Automobile magizine and Car & Driver magizine is saying that the Europien standard of measurement is different.

Sorry but I'm more inclined to believe the magizines.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 12:30 PM
I can`t explain it exactly, I´m not deeply interested in this at all, but we should realise that the difference is just a bit more than one percent. Maybe it depends on varying emission control units, a different exhaust system or other issues which are influencing the output. One percent is nothing, 1001 bhp are the certification of the manufacturer which can be vary in a ± 5% range. It is possible that the engine has a different certification in US compared to Europe or Germany. I use to work at a big german car manufacturer, such small differences between certifications are not unusual.

Udo
Thursday, July 13, 2006 2:00 PM
Its not the old each engine is different thing its the exact same car with the exact same engine its just that the Europien standard and ours are different thats all.

Go grab a back issue of Mortor Trend or Car & Driver that has the Veryon in it and it explains in detail the differences between US and Europien horse power measurments. I don't want to take a shot at it and mess up or have you all think me full of it so I'll let the experts explain it to you.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 4:35 PM
the difference between the US bugatti and the Europe one is emissions equipment the US version was required to install restrictive emissions equipment that is not required in Europe

"Racing is life Everything else is just waiting"
Phil
Thursday, July 13, 2006 7:31 PM
Philip Rodda wrote:the difference between the US bugatti and the Europe one is emissions equipment the US version was required to install restrictive emissions equipment that is not required in Europe

this is what i thought as well, hp still measured the same but emissions control requirements are different, requiring more for emissions control means taking some power away, but this has no difference on how engine horsepower is measured.
in some cases, i have seen it in kW instead of hp but thats it.
Friday, July 14, 2006 8:55 AM
AAAHHHHHHHH !!!!!! Ok let me try this one more time!

IT WAS THE EXACT SAME CAR !! NOT A DIFFERENT CAR, NOT A CAR WITH EMISSION STUFF LATER PUT ON IT, BUT RATHER THE EXACT SAME CAR.

I can see I'm gonna have to provide some links for you guys, be back in a bit.

Friday, July 14, 2006 9:36 AM
Ok here ya go straight from Wikipedia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower#Mechanical_horsepower

In case it skips to somewhere else on the page your looking for where it tells about mechanical and metric horsepower and how they do in fact differ and how it does create a problem for car manufacturers claims.

Friday, July 14, 2006 11:50 AM
Looks as you were right. I never heard from "mechanical" horsepower. One german
PS is defined as 75 Kgm/s since eternities, however, the confusions in tuning issues
wouldn`t be serious due to the fact that the difference is a small bit more than 1 % percent of output, this is definitly within the measuring tolerances on every dyno.But anyway, maybe you were right if seen from the academic side of view.

Udo
Friday, July 14, 2006 2:38 PM
Jackalope wrote:Ok here ya go straight from Wikipedia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower#Mechanical_horsepower

In case it skips to somewhere else on the page your looking for where it tells about mechanical and metric horsepower and how they do in fact differ and how it does create a problem for car manufacturers claims.

in that link it mentions that the veyron's power output was measured incorrectly as Metric Horsepower. the correct method of measuring output power is to measure mechanical power, in both europe and north america. normally, the standard is to represent this power in kw(metric)in europe, in hp in the united states, and in both in Canada.
Jackalope wrote:
You guys do know that the Europe standard of horse power measurement is different then ours right ? In the US this is probubly a 210 - 220 hp engine.

if his number of 246 hp is metric power (even though if he measured on a dyno, it is likely not) the difference between metric and mechanical horsepower is a little under 1.5%, which should show somewhere in that article. this means that his horsepower by your standards should be about 241hp, not 210-220hp.
Monday, July 17, 2006 4:52 AM
Pretty, Meh, I did say "probably" .

Believe me, before I read that in Motor Trend I never knew it either.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search