N/A 2,4 L HP-parts - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
N/A 2,4 L HP-parts
Sunday, May 28, 2006 10:49 AM
Hello,

i`m a german and I intend to modify an ecotec for fast road use without charger to improve throttle response and to minimize wheight. However, I`m going to source
suitable high lift camshafts, 4-barrel injektion system, maybe special roller rockers
ans s.o. for this application. Furthermore, I want to switch to cap.enlargment with Darton sleeves up to 2,4l. Ì intend to rev 7500/min and 270 BHP.Does anyone know whether in US. or GB anyone is doing as well or have experience with this mods? In germany there are existing just some bolt on kits without advanced technologie for this engine.

Thx Udo

Re: N/A 2,4 L HP-parts
Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:45 AM
Well as far as finding you parts that are in Europe, that's going to very hard to do since most of us are in the United States and Canada.

As far as going for the 2.4 and trying to do it with just sleeves...you're not gonna be able to make a 2.2 to 2.4 with just boring and even if you did, it won't gain you much power. If you're looking for displacement, look into swapping the 2.4 VVT ECOTECs Crankshaft into your motor, only problem is that you're talking about a crankshaft that uses a different stroke and bore for it's pistons, so you'll have to get custom pistons made...unless you're planning on staying N/A and you might be able to get away with taking the whole block.

Now, the only problem you're going to be facing now...you're kind of contradicting what you want to do. You want a high revving motor but with alot of displacement which will be kind of messing with the reliability of your motor. The higher you want to rev, the shorter your stroke should be, not longer. I can say that you could possibly make a reliable 7K Rev limit with upgraded camshafts and cylinder head work but higher than that is risky.

This is all motor stuff as well...your PCM would also need to be altered to have a 7K redline.

If you need anymore help, just reach us at the forum in our signature.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, June 04, 2006 2:52 AM
Hi Adam,

thank you for reply. Basically, your advice is ok, but I anyway would tell you some more intentions. I don`t think that a longer stroke engine isn`t unable to rev higher if the gas flow is optimised to high revs, what means to tune up your inlet-exhaust lenghts, bigger valves, race camshaft and s.o. I am absolutly aware of not only enlarging the capacity up to 2,4 L and getting this output. It isn`t unpossible to bore out the cylinders on the usual way because the wall are much too thin afterwards. But with Darton sleeves the cyl. are completly replaced by a top-quality liner with makes possible to enlarge the bore up to 90 mm what gives exactly 2,4 l. The enlargement gives some more torque at low revs and a bit more power as well. In Europe, some large stroked high revving N/A engines are very popular as Rover K ( up to 240 bhp from 1,8 L!!!) ,VW 2,0 L and BMW M3, a high revver ( 8000 !!!!) with 343 bhp from 3,2 L.........

I am making my own high quality lightwheight pistons and rods, with 7500 revs i have a piston speed of 23,65 m/s what is no problem with current technologie. I have build
similar engines for the last 20 years, for example Vauxhall 2,0 L N/A with 312 bhp.Furthermore, the new 2,4 L crankshaft of Pontiac solstice would be interesting too, do you know if this crank fits to the 2,2 liter ?

Back to my question: I try to source special camshafts because the profiles are difficult to calculate due to the roller valvetrain and special rockers would be interesting as well.

regards

Udo
Sunday, June 04, 2006 3:47 AM
Udo Schwerk wrote:Hi Adam,

thank you for reply. Basically, your advice is ok, but I anyway would tell you some more intentions. I don`t think that a longer stroke engine isn`t unable to rev higher if the gas flow is optimised to high revs, what means to tune up your inlet-exhaust lenghts, bigger valves, race camshaft and s.o. I am absolutly aware of not only enlarging the capacity up to 2,4 L and getting this output. It isn`t unpossible to bore out the cylinders on the usual way because the wall are much too thin afterwards. But with Darton sleeves the cyl. are completly replaced by a top-quality liner with makes possible to enlarge the bore up to 90 mm what gives exactly 2,4 l. The enlargement gives some more torque at low revs and a bit more power as well. In Europe, some large stroked high revving N/A engines are very popular as Rover K ( up to 240 bhp from 1,8 L!!!) ,VW 2,0 L and BMW M3, a high revver ( 8000 !!!!) with 343 bhp from 3,2 L.........

I am making my own high quality lightwheight pistons and rods, with 7500 revs i have a piston speed of 23,65 m/s what is no problem with current technologie. I have build
similar engines for the last 20 years, for example Vauxhall 2,0 L N/A with 312 bhp.Furthermore, the new 2,4 L crankshaft of Pontiac solstice would be interesting too, do you know if this crank fits to the 2,2 liter ?

Back to my question: I try to source special camshafts because the profiles are difficult to calculate due to the roller valvetrain and special rockers would be interesting as well.

regards

Udo

I don't think I can help you any further but good luck.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, June 12, 2006 6:48 AM
hi udo,

my advice would be to increase the compression ratio of your engine to a maximum of 12.5 : 1, also maybe consider trying to get a 2.4L ecotec head from north america and boring that out instead, it could offer more oppertunity for hp,

you can find more information on the engine here:
http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/r_cars/car%20eng%20trans.html

may i ask you to send me a list of what you did to get 312hp out of a n/a 2.0L? i am very curious.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search