Z22SE Cams - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Z22SE Cams
Thursday, June 01, 2006 2:27 AM
Hi. I made the mistake of buying a gas flowed, performance cammed Z22SE head on ebay a few weeks ago. It was to fit my Vauxhall VX220 2.2.

I got the head cover off the VX and decided to trace around the cam profiles to see what the difference was. There was absolutely no difference as far as I could tell. The part numbers are even the same.

Apparently the head was off a Vauxhall Astra Mk.4, so my question really is whether the standard cams in the Astra Mk.4 Z22SE are the same as the VX220's and I've been ripped off, or whether the guy put VX220 cams in the astra to increase performance.

If anyone knows the part numbers for the standard Astra and VX220 cams that would be really handy.

The 'GM-###' number is the same on both sets of cams, however the 'L-##' number is different. What does the 'L-##' number mean - is it a bearing size or something?

thanks for your help,

Re: Z22SE Cams
Sunday, June 04, 2006 2:57 AM
Hi,

probably the No. of the cams are from the blanks and the cam lobes are modified ?
Just measure the lift with a caliper ( lobes - base circle = lift ) and compare to the
originals.

Greets Udo
Re: Z22SE Cams
Sunday, June 04, 2006 3:48 AM
Udo Schwerk wrote:Hi,

probably the No. of the cams are from the blanks and the cam lobes are modified ?
Just measure the lift with a caliper ( lobes - base circle = lift ) and compare to the
originals.

Greets Udo

Thanks for the reply - I measured both lobes + base circle and they are both identical. I figured maybe total lift stayed the same and they changed the profile so i put some card around the cam and traced out its profile, then compared those and they were pretty much the same too.

Do manufacturers usually put different cams in stock engines, or is an engine with a certain marking (eg. Z22SE) always going to have the same cams in whatever car it is in?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search