Need Help With A Colbalt - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need Help With A Colbalt
Monday, June 12, 2006 11:57 AM
I just purchased a 2006 Colbalt LS 2 weeks ago and am in search of a supercharger for it.... I have a 2.2 ecotec engine and can't find one (didn't get a SS because Dad wouldn't co-sign on one so that answers that lol).... I would really be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.... They make them for the cav but not sure if it would fit my engine or into my car..... PLEASE HELP LOL

Chris

Few Love Me....Many Hate Me....All Fear Me

06 Colbalt Sunburst Orange 2.2 Ecotec

Re: Need Help With A Colbalt
Monday, June 12, 2006 12:22 PM
hi Chris, congrats on the purchase.
my son actually has a 2005 cobalt ss with the supercharger and it is a very nice car, but in my opinion it was the differences in interior and such that make it such a nice car, not the supercharger.
if you want an engine to modify, the 2.2l might just be the superior engine. the gm supercharger part number is 17800003, and i believe that people have made statements that it has some minor fitment issues on 2.2l cobalts, a radiator bracket i believe. so if you think you can get around making a bracket modification, then i say give it a go.
if you really want to give a ss/sc a run for their money, maybe consider turbocharging. there are alot of people here and on www.jbody.org that have pieced together kits themselves. with superchargers versus turbochargers, a general statement can be made that a turbocharger will have the ability to give you more power than a supercharger.
by saying this, i would imagine that NJHK will show up and offer some good advice, i think your only option right now would be to piece together a custom kit as i dont think there are any available yet for the cobalt. you will probably be able to do so cheaper anyway.
Monday, June 12, 2006 12:47 PM
Thank you for the info and the advise.... I'm a noob to all things engine wise but I will look around, see if I can't find that part and see if I can find a shop to teach me and install it lol...... again thank you all the help is very much appreciated

Monday, June 12, 2006 1:00 PM
anytime
we all have to start somewhere and will never know everything.
maybe before you go look to the shop for install info, wait until you get the kit/parts and search (not just this forum either), you may need to figure out bits and pieces from various places as well as try to sort the bull from the facts, but its free!!!

good luck
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:11 AM
James N wrote:hi Chris, congrats on the purchase.
my son actually has a 2005 cobalt ss with the supercharger and it is a very nice car, but in my opinion it was the differences in interior and such that make it such a nice car, not the supercharger.
if you want an engine to modify, the 2.2l might just be the superior engine. the gm supercharger part number is 17800003, and i believe that people have made statements that it has some minor fitment issues on 2.2l cobalts, a radiator bracket i believe. so if you think you can get around making a bracket modification, then i say give it a go.
if you really want to give a ss/sc a run for their money, maybe consider turbocharging. there are alot of people here and on www.jbody.org that have pieced together kits themselves. with superchargers versus turbochargers, a general statement can be made that a turbocharger will have the ability to give you more power than a supercharger.
by saying this, i would imagine that NJHK will show up and offer some good advice, i think your only option right now would be to piece together a custom kit as i dont think there are any available yet for the cobalt. you will probably be able to do so cheaper anyway.

That's funny cuz when I got my 2.2L S/C installed on my cavalier there was plenty of room, granted its still a tight fit but the mechanic even said he prefers the Cobalts over the J-Body's because of the size of the engine bay. I could be wrong though.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:36 AM
Alex wrote:That's funny cuz when I got my 2.2L S/C installed on my cavalier there was plenty of room, granted its still a tight fit but the mechanic even said he prefers the Cobalts over the J-Body's because of the size of the engine bay. I could be wrong though.

i was going by what i have heard, so i did not mean to express it as fact. i did a search and came up with information that suggests that it may be the PCM (the cobalt's is different). the gm build book states that the kit was for cavaliers and sunfires with the ecotec, and did not mention it working on a cobalt, they even showed the engine bay of a jbody and not delta for the installation. that leaves me suspicious cause they were building up a cobalt ecotec but switched to the cavalier/sunfire for the supercharger installation....
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 3:46 PM
Oh ok, yeah cuz on the instruction I got with my Kit it has the picture of a 2.2L Cobalt and everything, lol. Either way, they are tight fits.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 7:11 AM
Please James don't ever again say that the L61 is superior to LSJ motor. Ever please!! lol.
LSJ (2.0L) is a lot better motor than the L61 (2.2L)
My 2.2L went 11.94 @114.73 mph and 17 psi before I took it apart and forged it, now I am putting an LSJ head on my L61 forged bottom.

These motors love boost, and mine is Turbo so I would say Turbo it if anything granted that Supercharger is more reliable.
Then again on the other hand 200 whp motor will naturally be more reliable than a 300whp motor.

I just had a Supercharger that I took off my motor that I am building, and gave it away to Steve aka Blue (The Hated One) on the JBO for free.
Should have let me know sooner, I had no use for it and if you are wondering it had NO miles on it.

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Sunday, June 18, 2006 12:35 AM
Did you say you have NO mechanic experience and you want someone to talk you through the install? Wow, no offense, but you will be WAY MORE HELP THAN THAT. Yes there is more room in the Colbalt's engine bay. Not sure why anyone would buy the LS when they want the SS? Seems like buying a male hooker in search of some poontang? Confusing and will cost to much money to make a gurl

Sunday, June 18, 2006 1:10 AM
Christopher Arnett wrote:I just purchased a 2006 Colbalt LS 2 weeks ago and am in search of a supercharger for it....

trucavypwr98 wrote:
Wow, no offense, but you will be WAY MORE HELP THAN THAT. Yes there is more room in the Colbalt's engine bay.

whats a colbalt? is it simmilar to a cobalt?

go talk to a dealer and ask the parts department, tell them what you want to do. they will tell you whats available. seems to me i recall them having two kits available, one being exactly like the one used on the COBALT ss/sc
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 12:52 PM
No ass.... I'm looking for the parts I don't need help with the install as my father or buddies can do it for me..... and if you had read the post correctly I stated that YES i did want the ss/sc but my father wouldn't co-sign on it.... thanks to the ones that acctually provided info to me I really do appreciate it..... and for the ones that had their little smart ass remarks I feel sorry for you as you obviously have nothing better to do with your life other than making fun of someone who is trying to have some fun with his car.... and for your information even though I've had a harder time finding parts for my 2.2 look on gm's performance site for the cobalt race team and you'll see that they have the exact engine that I'm using and a few are pushing around 500 hp out of them..... now whp I have no idea but that's going to be my goal.... and the dealers have no frickin clue as to what I want... I ask and they go mind numb... again thank you to the ones who acctually took the time too help me

Chris

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10:01 PM
kay since you seem to be taking offence to what i said, i will rephrase:

go talk to gm parts department, ask them what the price is on part number 17800003, its a supercharger kit for the 2.2l ecotec.
if the price sux, check out the gm parts direct website, they usually offer some savings on most parts.
yes it should fit under your hood
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search