Need R&D help for a wild modification - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need R&D help for a wild modification
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 1:25 PM
I'm looking into the feasibility of swapping the variable valve/cam timing mechanism from an ecotec engine into a cosworth mercedes engine. The engine is a 2.3L inline 4 cylinder DOHC engine with pent roof combustion chambers. The idea came to me when I saw photos of the ecotec head and realized how amazingly similar it is to the cossie head.

I don't expect this swap to be easy, but it's my sincere hope that somebody on this board might be able to help me out by either directing me to a good source of specification information on the ecotec valvetrain, or by posting or directing me to detailed pictures and/or exploded diagrams of the parts. This at least will get me started and help me decide if it can be done.

If anybody has any input that might be helpful, feel free to respond. Anything from a description of the system, places to find parts, photos, links, or opinions are welcome and will no doubt come in useful

Thanks everybody

Re: Need R&D help for a wild modification
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10:10 AM
One question...why? Just for something to do? I mean we all have our projects, and I am sure no one has the time nor money to sink into a meaningless project such as that one....no offense

Thursday, June 22, 2006 4:30 PM
Well, I'm not convinced that it will be that monstrous of a task. I won't know for sure until I can get a firm grip on what components are involved in this system. If the cam timing system is located primarily on the cam gear, then I know that this will be an easy mod, If it's located in the head or on the block, then there might be too much work involved. I don't know enough about the ecotec to find this info without help though.

From a performance standpoint, Variable valve timing makes such a substantial difference in overall hp (from 15-30% on most engines that I've found which come with/without VVT) that it's at least worth looking at.

Like I said, the idea came when I saw how amazingly similar the ecotec engines are to my 20 yr old Cosworth engine.

The engine I'm building is already getting a stand alone engine management system (necessary to get rid of the antique CIS system), which will make tuning the computer to match the needs of the engine that much easier.
Wednesday, June 28, 2006 3:23 PM
Nobody can refer me to a source for pictures or diagrams of the cam timing system? Even an exploded parts diagram would be a help.

Pretty please....
Monday, July 03, 2006 6:44 AM
send me a fax number and I will send you the system description on how it operates and you might figure out what is necessary from that . I dont think you can get you bang for the buck unless you have a way to control it

BOW TIES FOREVER
Monday, July 10, 2006 4:19 PM
Tom,
tried to contact you via PM and email, but no response.

Please email me and we can discuss fax/or shipping options. I live in Flagstaff, and routinely head to Phoenix, so depending on your location, I might even be able to swing by and just pick up a copy of the system desc.

Thanks
Scott
Tuesday, July 11, 2006 11:33 PM
i think i would be interested in this as well, maybe post it publicly, sounds like it might be good for business.
Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:55 PM
I'm actually surprised at how hard it is to find this information online. I've been able to find schematic diagrams for nearly every variable valve timing system except the ecotec system.

If anybody has photographs of their engine while its apart and wouldn't mind posting them with a description (or maybe even some photoshopped arrows) to show the location of the cam-timing assemblies, that might be a starting point.

Thanks again.
S
Monday, July 17, 2006 3:54 PM
If I remember correctly the ecotec vvt is based off(or is the same as) the Toyota vvt. You might be able to find more information about the Toyota system to see what's involved.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search