lack of low end torque - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
lack of low end torque
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 3:38 PM
ive got a 02 eco auto sunfire with cai, e, h, bm shift plus. i recently stopped being able to burn the tires. it seems almost as if the traction control is always on. its still quick as normal otherwise though. raced a cobalt ss 2.4l and stayed neck and neck with it. i brought it in for a tune up and the problem didnt go away. does anyone have any ideas on the cause or fix?

Re: lack of low end torque
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 6:10 PM
Carly,

It's simple by adding a low restriction intake exhaust and header you moved your torque up in the rpm band its still there it just moved. now if you are using a 4-1 style header you can trade it for a 4-2-1 style header. the 4-2-1 style headers increase HP in a broader lower range of the powerband but it also increases a little in the top as well.

"Racing is life Everything else is just waiting"
Phil
Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:40 PM
try upgrader your igniton system for better accleration
Friday, August 11, 2006 6:48 PM
Low Rpm performace is more than just spark it has everything to do with air velocity larger inlet pipe header and exhaust slow air flow and torque suffers at low speed. once the RPM increases the volume of air flow increases to where power is made. The best setup is a balance of flow and velocity this combination will give a nice all round driver(not ultimate dyno numbers but driveable).

My personal car is an ecotec powered saturn Lseries its heavy so low RPM power is a must.
I have to choose my mods very carefully or the overall performance suffers. Example: I installed the LSJ exhaust manifold and had to remove my intake and refit the stock airbox.
Why? Because the increase in high RPM airflow slowed down the low RPM velocety too much and performance suffered. I had trouble getting off the line with any athority. basically the car felt soft and sluggish below 2500RPM.

"Racing is life Everything else is just waiting"
Phil
Saturday, August 19, 2006 10:16 PM
try seafoaming it

see ya!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:25 AM
Philip Rodda wrote:

My personal car is an ecotec powered saturn Lseries its heavy so low RPM power is a must.
I have to choose my mods very carefully or the overall performance suffers. Example: I installed the LSJ exhaust manifold and had to remove my intake and refit the stock airbox.
Why? Because the increase in high RPM airflow slowed down the low RPM velocety too much and performance suffered. I had trouble getting off the line with any athority. basically the car felt soft and sluggish below 2500RPM.

Same here I have a 2.4L VVT ecotec in my G6. Its also heavier so it does need a little more low end grunt then say, a Cavalier or an Ion.

God made turbo lag so V8's can catch up!
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:27 AM
Sorry, couldn't find an edit button. One thing is also ,if you wanna be a track racer, then go for all out top end with a close ratio trans and high stall. Although thats pretty damn broad of a generalization, remember. Street drivers and track racers are two totally different builds.

God made turbo lag so V8's can catch up!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search