2.4 ecotec questions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 ecotec questions
Friday, September 29, 2006 3:14 PM
I have been thinking about this since the 2.4 came out.

Can tthe 2.2 head be swapped onto the 2.4 block. This interests me because I can't effectively add forced induction to my engine. Now before ten people pipe up and yell (HPT) I have researched this to exhaustion and my computer is not supported nor will it be. However I am sure the computer can handle a small .2l bump in displacement.

any help on this would be a huge help

"Racing is life Everything else is just waiting"
Phil

Re: 2.4 ecotec questions
Friday, September 29, 2006 4:32 PM
No it won't work.

If all you want is a bigger displacement from the larger stroke, look into getting the crankshaft and seeing if it will work. We've discussed it on our forum a good bit, if you wanna chime in on it, be my guest:

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, September 30, 2006 6:41 AM
acctually those threads never touched on the interchangeability of the heads. All that was discussed was the crank rods and a lot of chest beating about the best combination of parts.
right now my engine runs good its strong-ish but I always want more. now if you can show me that the headbolt locations are drastically different, the coolant passages dont match, and the oiling holes are on opposite sides. I would think that the block can be used. I am not an idiot with a crecent wrench and hammer. I'm just looking for good info on a head swap and so far I have none.

Phil
Saturday, September 30, 2006 12:53 PM
Philip Rodda wrote:acctually those threads never touched on the interchangeability of the heads. All that was discussed was the crank rods and a lot of chest beating about the best combination of parts.
right now my engine runs good its strong-ish but I always want more. now if you can show me that the headbolt locations are drastically different, the coolant passages dont match, and the oiling holes are on opposite sides. I would think that the block can be used. I am not an idiot with a crecent wrench and hammer. I'm just looking for good info on a head swap and so far I have none.

The reason those threads didn't touch on the interchangability of the heads is because...you can't! I just said that in the last post.

I don't know why you want to do this, so that's why I pointed the direction of those threads where we were discussing this of if you could swap the crankshaft from the 2.4 into the 2.2 block.

No one is calling you an idiot, I was just trying to help but if you don't want it, I won't give it.

Peace.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 4:21 PM
screw it I'll just sell the car and buy an import

Phil
Sunday, October 01, 2006 4:24 AM
Philip Rodda wrote:screw it I'll just sell the car and buy an import

whatever floats your boat...

Friday, October 06, 2006 4:20 PM
Philip Rodda wrote:screw it I'll just sell the car and buy an import

LOL I doubt that will solve your problems.

I don't know if the head will swap over. I'd hit up a dealership and compare the head gaskets. After that the only concern is the length of your head bolts.

I might do this although I know my dealership always has to order them in special order for me.

I'd also be interested in know if the 2.4 is a different block (ithink it is becasue of the tranny bolt pattern) or the 2.2 punched out. If gm stuck to their traditions it'll be a different block
Saturday, October 07, 2006 10:52 AM
and if you guys didn't believe me...

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search