Plastic intake manifold - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Plastic intake manifold
Thursday, October 26, 2006 8:09 PM
What can i do with my plastic intake manifold on my 2.2 cav? Has anyone ever got bored it? Does anyone know of a intake manifold that doesn't cost 1000+......I know GM makes a Manifold kit but i don't know how to tig weld or have one....I need ideas........

Re: Plastic intake manifold
Friday, October 27, 2006 2:55 PM
There are some people that have dremeled the runnings a bit and they claimed to make power.

In opinion, there are other areas you should worry about before your intake manifold.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, October 27, 2006 4:27 PM
the stock manifold design is quite good actually teh long runners promote low end torque but are large enough to flow good for mid to top end power. The use of plastic in the construction is also a good plan plastic does not absorb and retain heat like metal does therefore a cooler charge and more power. NJHK is absolutely right about this look elsewhere for more power this should be the last thing on your list to work on.

Personally I throw rocks at the Exhaust manifold down pipe and catback. The manifold for instance has runners not matched to the head at all they are quite small and only go an inch or so before dumping into a common chamber per pair of cyls. the outlet is too small for the displacement at 2" but it gets worse there is a flat protrusion into the 2" circle making it equal to about 1.75. This brings us to the down pipe its not a bad design but the sudden size changes from the flange to the flex coupler is quite restrictive and the pipe is too small. Now the cat being part of the downpipe it is fed by pipes that are too small there are just two choices (one really) modify it to have bigger inlets and outlets or replace it with a magnaflow. The rest of the exhaust follows suit with the front half . Basically you will find much more power bottled up by restrictive exhaust than you will ever see by modifying or replacing the intake manifold.

"Racing is life Everything else is just waiting"
Phil
Friday, October 27, 2006 6:31 PM
if that is the case what can i do about the o2 sensors? I know there is something about finding the right resistor so the computer sees what it needs to see.........
Friday, October 27, 2006 6:33 PM
or do aftermarket market exhaust manifolds have a place for them....
Friday, October 27, 2006 6:38 PM
all aftermarket manifolds have places for the o2 sensor and any good exhaust shop can weld on a bung for the second sensor (downstream from the cat.

Phil
Saturday, October 28, 2006 12:55 AM
whats a bung?>
Saturday, October 28, 2006 1:34 AM
Sorry I'm a welder so I may use terms you might not know
a bung is a very short threaded piece designed to be welded onto a pipe (particularly for o2 sensors)

Phil
Saturday, October 28, 2006 1:11 PM
Andrew Anderson wrote:if that is the case what can i do about the o2 sensors? I know there is something about finding the right resistor so the computer sees what it needs to see.........

See what? Boost?

Saturday, October 28, 2006 4:06 PM
NJHK wrote:
Andrew Anderson wrote:if that is the case what can i do about the o2 sensors? I know there is something about finding the right resistor so the computer sees what it needs to see.........

See what? Boost?

Adam you are officially banned from posting ever again. I know you have posted some bad info in the past and made some stupid comments but this is just RIDICULOUS. O2 Sensors don't see boost. They can't. They do nothing but determine the AFR in the exhaust and help the ECU correct to the desired ECU

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, October 29, 2006 3:09 PM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:
NJHK wrote:

See what? Boost?

Adam you are officially banned from posting ever again. I know you have posted some bad info in the past and made some stupid comments but this is just RIDICULOUS. O2 Sensors don't see boost. They can't. They do nothing but determine the AFR in the exhaust and help the ECU correct to the desired ECU

Thats what I get for half paying attention to a thread. I saw "see what it needs to see" and the word "resistor" and that threw me off I guess. Trust me, I know an O2 sensor can't read boost Ryne.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 3:53 PM
so much hate.....
Monday, October 30, 2006 12:31 AM
Andrew Anderson wrote:so much hate.....

Ryne doesn't hate me...he loves me so much. If he could come to TN, he'd give me a big hug.

Admit it Ryne!

Monday, October 30, 2006 9:08 AM
I'll admit to nothing.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, November 09, 2006 8:36 AM
njhk is a stupid dork!!! HIs sunfire was so ricer with two spoliers!!!!And with all his n/a mods he got beat by a 2.2L ohv!!!!!He thinks he knows every thing!!! It does help to dremel the manafold to the size of the ports on the head.Their was a post a while back search on jbody.org see if you can find it i plan on doing this 2

darkblade j
Thursday, November 09, 2006 1:51 PM
darkbladej wrote:njhk is a stupid dork!!! HIs sunfire was so ricer with two spoliers!!!!And with all his n/a mods he got beat by a 2.2L ohv!!!!!He thinks he knows every thing!!! It does help to dremel the manafold to the size of the ports on the head.Their was a post a while back search on jbody.org see if you can find it i plan on doing this 2

haha

Wow.

That actually made me giggle. I love when people call me names when they've never talked to me on a personal level.

Thursday, November 09, 2006 2:12 PM
for sho
Tuesday, November 14, 2006 3:31 PM
I did talk you you d-bag on aim. That one picture of your car next to a cavalier with stick on hood scoops lol thats tight home dog! no what i be saying!

darkblade j
Wednesday, November 15, 2006 1:20 AM
darkbladej wrote:I did talk you you d-bag on aim. That one picture of your car next to a cavalier with stick on hood scoops lol thats tight home dog! no what i be saying!

Well I can tell you that I don't remember ever talking to you on AIM...

And if you did "talk" to me, it was probably 1 conversation. It must not have been important cause I don't remember.

That picture is years old...what does his car have to do with me?

My point still stands, you don't know me at all to judge my intelligence.

Sunday, November 26, 2006 8:51 AM
I have done the exhaust header,high-flow cat and cat-back.For the inlet i have done the AEM cai,62mm throttle body.Also i put a lightweight crank pulley and for the fire i had change the spark springs by rksports ones.Now i want to know if it's good to port match the plastic intake manifold outlets to the head inlet?Thanks.
Sunday, November 26, 2006 6:38 PM
jason martel wrote:I have done the exhaust header,high-flow cat and cat-back.For the inlet i have done the AEM cai,62mm throttle body.Also i put a lightweight crank pulley and for the fire i had change the spark springs by rksports ones.Now i want to know if it's good to port match the plastic intake manifold outlets to the head inlet?Thanks.

Instead of worrying about increase the amount of air can enter at one time (volume), worry about the velocity of the airflow and what you can do to draw more air in. You can do this with changing your camshafts to an appropriate cam profile. Making the volume to large can result in a negative effect...example: Your throttle body probably feels good on the top end (higher RPMs) but you more than likely lost some low end power. This is a trade off and could be a trade off not worth making.

Sorry if this doesn't necessarily answer your question but it's a good suggestion. It's not all about volume.

Monday, November 27, 2006 4:50 AM
i wouldnt worry about you intake b/c gm made 500hp pushin 8psi on the stock manifold

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers
Monday, November 27, 2006 9:43 AM
porting and polishing your head should help more than boring out intake manifold. if I was you I'd look into that.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search