Is a stock head worth it to mod? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is a stock head worth it to mod?
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:51 PM
I'm a member of JBO and I got a head for my L61 from a friend that works at a Chevrolet dealership. It came off a car that hydro-locked, but the head is still in good condition.

My question is though, would it be worth it to use this head and modify it or should i go and buy one that is already modified. What i planned on doing was to take it to a machine shop and first see if it is straight and then porting it out a little. Also i want to put a cam in, nothing to agressive just a little something to help if i go ahead and put a supercharger on. And i would also consider putting new valves and springs in, if its necessary.

Finally, how should i store it before i start working on it. Right now its sitting in my garage but since winter is coming i thought about bringing it indoors and either putting it downstairs or in my room. Thanks in advance.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2002 Cavalier LS Sport -- IBM/G/A4 -- *SOLD*
2007 Cobalt SS/SC -- SOM/B/M5 -- *SOLD*
Looking for an Admiral Blue M6 Corvette
Turner Automotive-Corvette's Detailer/Web Designer/Photographer

Re: Is a stock head worth it to mod?
Friday, October 20, 2006 3:21 PM
It's really up to the person. You could easily go and buy new valve train parts and install it on this head.

I would suggest searching around for prices on parts like springs and retainers and see how much it would cost you. Go to places like www.jbodyperformance.com, they have those parts for sale that you can do a quick price quote. You can also check with your local engine / performance shop to see how much they charge for a port job and blow bench testing.

If you want something to compare to as far as just the head alone (not talking about camshafts or cam gears), check out www.patriotperformance.com. There are details as far as the head goes on that page and a price as well. If you're looking to buy one, you can get it through Team Vision Racing (www.ryne.com/storefront).

Overall, it's all personal preference.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, October 21, 2006 2:09 PM
Thanks for your input. Like i said i would like to do a cam and porting at the very least. And with an NA engine do you think it would be worth it to upgrade the springs, etc? Eventually i would like to get a blower but that may be a year or two or three down the road and i guess i could put new springs, etc in at that time.

Also what kind of cam would you recommend for an NA engine? I've looked at comp cams but am not sure what lift/duration i should go with.

Monday, October 23, 2006 6:39 AM
The upgraded valve train for the ecotec l61 head is around 600 dollars for valves springs and retainers and seals. I would suggest going to Rynes Store and check out the patriot performance head. Its built and flow benched by a high quality company and dealing with ryne is nice he is very straight forward and honest guy. This head is probably your best bet for the money. I believe that njhk had seen a 15whp gain from a stock motor with light bolt ons. If you were going for boost or na this head is proven to make great whp. I had a shop say they could build one for 600 and when i asked them to look further into the parts they came back with a much larger quote very close to the patriot performance price without knowing what the flow numbers would be. So imho i would go with the PP head thats what a majority of eco owners are doing for a head.

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Monday, October 23, 2006 4:43 PM
Thanks, i'll definitly look into a patriot head.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 2:42 PM
midnight02 wrote:Thanks for your input. Like i said i would like to do a cam and porting at the very least. And with an NA engine do you think it would be worth it to upgrade the springs, etc? Eventually i would like to get a blower but that may be a year or two or three down the road and i guess i could put new springs, etc in at that time.

Also what kind of cam would you recommend for an NA engine? I've looked at comp cams but am not sure what lift/duration i should go with.

Check out Comp Cams, they make a nice set of camshafts for whatever setup you are looking to have.

SMG Autosports (www.smgautosports.com) sells them if you want to look into them.

Good luck with everything. If you need any help, just contact me or you can ask questions on the forum in my signature.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, October 28, 2006 4:02 PM
Comp Cams and Patriot Head...both from me....FTW!

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search