Ecotec 2.2 head - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec 2.2 head
Tuesday, November 21, 2006 8:49 AM
Hi all!I want to know the maximum limit for a head milling.Someone can help me?Thanks in advance!

Re: Ecotec 2.2 head
Tuesday, November 21, 2006 2:07 PM
Hi all! who the hell says that?oh yea nobody wants to give advice on head(thanks in advance!!) LOSER
Tuesday, November 21, 2006 2:44 PM
Sorry that you are not enought intelligent to understand that my english is not perfect...
Tuesday, November 21, 2006 4:25 PM
Alex, that wasn't called for...

Jason Martel, milling the head isn't suggested cause it can mess with your timing.

Are you doing this to change your compression?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 1:57 AM
I think that if i do a milling my compression is gonna change.No???Can you tell me more about that.I just want to learn.Thanks
Thursday, November 23, 2006 11:49 AM
jason martel wrote:I think that if i do a milling my compression is gonna change.No???Can you tell me more about that.I just want to learn.Thanks

Milling the head will cause your compression to raise but how much is really undetermined. But like I said, its not worth doing for performance compared to what you'll end up having problem wise with your timing.

Thursday, November 23, 2006 12:21 PM
Can you tell me why i am going to have problem with the timing if i do that mod?Is it a because of the compression ratio increase??
Thursday, November 23, 2006 1:44 PM
jason martel wrote:Can you tell me why i am going to have problem with the timing if i do that mod?Is it a because of the compression ratio increase??

Cause it effects your timing chain and how it works. Nothing to do with high compression. It connects to your crankshaft and camshaft...your camshafts rotate 360 degrees at 180 degrees of rotation of your crankshaft (basically it rotates 2x as fast as the crankshaft). It has to keep this in sync...this is what the timing belt or chain is for. By milling the head, you would be messing up this synchronization.

Thursday, November 23, 2006 1:48 PM
Let me further clarify that this will only occur if you overmill the head.

Another issue would be valve clearance.

Friday, November 24, 2006 3:26 AM
Ok,i understand but if i do it lighly it's ok.That why i want to know the maximum so i'm going to do the half to the maximum to be safe.No numbers for me?Thanks a lot!
Friday, November 24, 2006 10:29 AM
jason martel wrote:Ok,i understand but if i do it lighly it's ok.That why i want to know the maximum so i'm going to do the half to the maximum to be safe.No numbers for me?Thanks a lot!

Honestly, I don't know anyone who has done this on an ECOTEC engine.

The reason why, cause the work to remove the camshafts and cylinder head, pay someone to mill the head and re-install the head isn't worth the possible gains. You probably wouldn't notice a big bump in compression either. If you want to raise your compression correctly, buy new forged pistons and rods as well. It'll cost you about $800-900 in total for the parts and if you want to do the engine work yourself, that'll be fine if you feel you can handle the workload.

Also, with doing all this work, you might as well upgrade while putting back together. It's not like removing your exhaut manifold and putting on a header, it's very involved work and shouldn't be "cheaped" out.

You have to think: Price Vs. Gains Vs. Possible Issues

If you want more information on what parts to get or where you can get these parts, let me know.

Sunday, November 26, 2006 8:37 AM
Well,ok.Can yougive more information on what parts to get or where i can get these parts?Thanks a lot!Very appreciated!
Sunday, November 26, 2006 6:29 PM
jason martel wrote:Well,ok.Can yougive more information on what parts to get or where i can get these parts?Thanks a lot!Very appreciated!

Do you know specifically you want to do with your car or what compression you're aiming for? This would help with giving a more accurate answer.

I guess the questions are:

How much power are you aiming for?
How much money are you trying to spend?
What compression do you want?
Who is doing the work and do you have access to a machine shop?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search