short or long intake? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
short or long intake?
Tuesday, November 28, 2006 10:15 PM
I have been reviewing air intakes and was starting to lean with aem until i was told that i should go with a short air intake if i dont want water in my engine. would it make sense to get the aem and bypass valve or is there really that much difference between the two types?

Re: short or long intake?
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 6:40 AM
i haven't herd of anyone getting water in their engine through an intake yet,unless you ford a creek or something like that you shouldn't have a problem,intakes have been debated here alot ,read http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=215434&t=215434,i didn't link it but it's the performance build fact "sheet" alot of great info, the short intake is easier to install than the long intake,what ever your comfortable spending is what it comes down to and installing

if at first you don't succeed,you should probably give up
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 8:05 AM
i recently asked the same question and it doesnt really matter they do about the same from what i was told but a short air intake would be better for future apps such as a supercharger.. so i was told just thought i would share
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 2:11 PM
The chances of a huge amount of water entering your engine causing hydrolocking is highly unlikely. Your filter literally has to be submerged in water for this to happen, kind of like driving through a flood.

As far as the difference between the 2 intakes, it really doesn't matter much. The differences are miniscule. A longer intake tube will cause air to take longer to travel to your throttle body and velocity to build, short one is vice versa. This is why you hear people say that their "Cold Air" intakes helped in the higher RPMs and the "Short Ram" intakes helped with immediate response. But honestly, like said, the differences are very small that it doesn't really matter much. Just pick one.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 5:02 PM
david cotten wrote:i recently asked the same question and it doesnt really matter they do about the same from what i was told but a short air intake would be better for future apps such as a supercharger.. so i was told just thought i would share
no because it would still have to be cut in order to use it so either way its an intake and that is why aem sells bypass valves so if you do scuk up water it wont make it to the engine

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 11:26 PM
the real difference isnt the time it takes the air to travel but the temperature of the air being pulled in. iv had one for 2 years now and never had a problem. also i dyno'd both aems short ram and their cold air. the cold air makes 2hp more and that multiplies exponentially with the addition of other bolt ons

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers
Thursday, November 30, 2006 1:27 AM
John VanCuran wrote:the real difference isnt the time it takes the air to travel but the temperature of the air being pulled in. iv had one for 2 years now and never had a problem. also i dyno'd both aems short ram and their cold air. the cold air makes 2hp more and that multiplies exponentially with the addition of other bolt ons

When I was talking about the distance of air traveling, I was talking about where in your powerband it was mostly effecting. The more bends, slower air will travel (so to speak).

2 wheel horsepower? Even still, it's an incredibley small amount and even if this was dyno'd power, the difference could have been outside temperature or any other variable. Remember, a dyno tries to simulate an outside environment, it's not necessarily dead on with outside conditions.

Not trying to disprove what you said but just pointing out that the differences are incredibley small in the greater scheme of power making.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search