2.2 mod questions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 mod questions
Saturday, September 23, 2006 3:07 PM
Few questions to ask, wondering if anyone could help me out. My buddy has an 03 cavalier 2.2 ls 5speed with: k&n cold air intake, pace setter header, borla cat-back exhaust, throttle body spacer, b&m short throw shifter, eibach 2" drop spring kit. Was wondering if anyone could give a good estimate on horsepower it might have right now and an estimate on what it would have if he put the gm performance supercharger on it. I know the only way to really know is a dyno but there is not one located near me so was wondering on a good rough estimate. Much appreciated the help

Re: 2.2 mod questions
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 9:26 PM
around 170-175, he basically has an intake and full exhaust and i dont think the spacer really does much at all i have heard.lowering springs and shifter do nothing bu yea i would say 170-175 good estimate because stock it comes 160, pacesetter header estimates 4-8 hp and intake exhaust maybe 5.
Thursday, September 28, 2006 7:20 AM
a friend of mine put the GM s/c kit on his 03 LS 5sp and got 220 hp to the wheels on the dyno.. thats with no other mods other then the kit.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 1:17 AM
alex currington wrote:around 170-175, he basically has an intake and full exhaust and i dont think the spacer really does much at all i have heard.lowering springs and shifter do nothing bu yea i would say 170-175 good estimate because stock it comes 160, pacesetter header estimates 4-8 hp and intake exhaust maybe 5.

Sorry alex but it doesn't work like that.

Each modification effects each modification. A modification can hurt you and help you depending on what you do. It's not like a counting game of Intake is 5 HP and Exhaust system is 10 HP and now you have 15 HP.

The only real way to tell how much power your friend is making is to tell him to take his car to the dyno.

By the way, the throttle body spacer he has on his car does squat on his car. It's more useful for carbeurated (sp?) engines.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:13 PM
2003 cavalier 2.2 ls 5speed has 160 hp before the mods? im tryiing to see if im reading it right. I tought cavaliers with ecotec had 140-145 hp?

Beware the Rouge Dragon.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 9:13 PM
khaserwolf wrote:2003 cavalier 2.2 ls 5speed has 160 hp before the mods? im tryiing to see if im reading it right. I tought cavaliers with ecotec had 140-145 hp?

They are 140 HP stock. I can't remember if it's 150 or 155 lbs of torque. This is what they are rated in the j-bodies, in the cobalts/ions/hhrs they say 145 HP.

Monday, October 30, 2006 2:26 PM
hey man dont have to diss, and i do know that, im sayin guessin without goin on a dyno. If you dont have a dyno how else can you tell?
Tuesday, October 31, 2006 3:31 PM
alex currington wrote:hey man dont have to diss, and i do know that, im sayin guessin without goin on a dyno. If you dont have a dyno how else can you tell?

I wasn't trying to diss you or put you down in any way. I was just correcting your statement.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 4:15 PM
its all good man, i just kind of came off that way
Friday, November 03, 2006 5:18 PM
When chevy 86'd the cavy they did a big over haul for a replacement and came up with the cobalt along with they made the engine better quailty thus beefed up the ecu and other engine parts to give the ecotec a whopping 145hp 150Lbs torque. they wanted a engine that would out run the civic and toyata corolla. they knew that these cars where moving forward and needed to match or exceed there performance. with the cavy's engine power they could of not done this so they beefed it up. the cavilier had less horsepower. i know this because i blow cavy's off the road withmy cobalt(some had intake and exhaust) i have only intake. Now dont get me wrong the cavy engine rules and has alot of potential but cobalts engine is more pwerful.
Saturday, November 04, 2006 10:21 AM
ya know technically they are almost the same, i have a 02 cavalier ls with the 2.2l ecotec. but it also depends on which style cavalier you are talking about because there is the 2.2l and 2.4 so ya know. of course the cobalt has more horsepower though if it is the ss model with a supercharger. but just about your statement it depends on what cavalier you raced.i have raced a cobalt before with intake and exhaust and was head and head with it till about 80 and i started pullin a little bit. but hey there are both nice cars and i like them very much. if i got a cobalt i would have to do some definite mods to it though personally if it wasnt the ss. i think the regular cobalt looks to family like. so ya know either way i would take it.

Saturday, November 04, 2006 12:11 PM
alex currington wrote:ya know technically they are almost the same, i have a 02 cavalier ls with the 2.2l ecotec. but it also depends on which style cavalier you are talking about because there is the 2.2l and 2.4 so ya know. of course the cobalt has more horsepower though if it is the ss model with a supercharger. but just about your statement it depends on what cavalier you raced.i have raced a cobalt before with intake and exhaust and was head and head with it till about 80 and i started pullin a little bit. but hey there are both nice cars and i like them very much. if i got a cobalt i would have to do some definite mods to it though personally if it wasnt the ss. i think the regular cobalt looks to family like. so ya know either way i would take it.

Alex summed it up basically.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 6:28 PM
yes your right..i have plans to add mods because i didnt have my mommy to buy me my ss cobalt...but hey kudos to those that have one. Yes cavy and cobalts are nice cars both with a great engine thats why this site is called ecotecpower.com. so those of us out there with cobalts or cavy's lets unite and help each other out. thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search