Throttle body help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Throttle body help
Monday, February 12, 2007 12:08 PM
Hey everyone. Im new to this site but I have a quick question about a new throttle body that i recently bought. I was just wondering how difficult the installation of the new TB will be. It is a bored out tapered design meaning it starts at 69mm, goes to 60mm and then goes back out to 62mm to match the intake manifold. I have an AEM cold air intake installed and im worried that the intake is not going to fit over the new TB. I was also wondering what the dimensions of the stock throttle body are so i know how much of difference it is really making. Alright last question, what are the benefits of swapping the TB? Will I notice any hp diff? at all? Here is the link to the ebay site i bought the new TB from if you wanna check it out. Thanks for any information you can give me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280080267856

Re: Throttle body help
Monday, February 12, 2007 12:54 PM
I forgot to mention that I have a 2004 2.2L saturn ion quad coupe. I guess that would help huh?
Monday, February 12, 2007 6:06 PM
It's a bored out version of your stock throttle body right? If so, it should be fine. Even if it wasn't, you use a coupler that attaches to the throttle body...most of them are very flexible to stretch a bit if that were the case.

Also, that throttle body sounds a bit too big. You're going to notice a loss of power in the lower RPMs because of the change in intake air velocity. It's basically going to shift your powerband upwards. It's something that at this point of time isn't really necessary to have but it depends on your future plans because it might work out for you.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, February 12, 2007 7:40 PM
Thanks for your help. So do you think I should just scrap the whole throttle body idea all together? Im not planning on slapping a turbo or supercharger on my car so maybe it wont even be worth it to upgrade the TB. My main goal is to see how much hp I can gain from just doing bolt on mods. I know the stock ion 2.2L starts at 140hp and my goal was to get as close to 200hp as possible. (I then realized that this goal would be WAYYY too hard to obtain without a supercharger) so im now really just having fun doing different mods to my car. Any other suggestions you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Monday, February 12, 2007 8:53 PM
My friend has this tb on his cavalier, the companies called reveco.

I would have got a straight through 62mm tb from smgmotorsports, I think its around the same price. The plate on your tb is only 2mm larger than stock.

Monday, February 12, 2007 8:54 PM
Joe Murphy wrote:Thanks for your help. So do you think I should just scrap the whole throttle body idea all together? Im not planning on slapping a turbo or supercharger on my car so maybe it wont even be worth it to upgrade the TB. My main goal is to see how much hp I can gain from just doing bolt on mods. I know the stock ion 2.2L starts at 140hp and my goal was to get as close to 200hp as possible. (I then realized that this goal would be WAYYY too hard to obtain without a supercharger) so im now really just having fun doing different mods to my car. Any other suggestions you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I don't think you're going to get remotely close to 200 HP with just bolt ons...

If you're looking to ATLEAST do some type of valvetrain work, then maybe go with the bigger throttle body but it really depends on what your whole setup intails.

Look into HP Tuners...you'd be suprised how much power you can gain through you EMS (Engine Management System).

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 2:23 PM
do you got a web address for hp tuners?

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 3:22 PM
wayne f wrote:do you got a web address for hp tuners?

www.hptuners.com

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search