Cat...high flow Cat? Jeez! *sniffles* - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cat...high flow Cat? Jeez! *sniffles*
Tuesday, February 20, 2007 10:43 PM
Hi all!

You all have been a great help to me so far, so I wanted to ask my second question:

Recently I had an exhaust put on my car. I've already got my CAI and headers. The only problem is that when I had the exhaust put on, the punks COMPLETELY took out my Cat converter and replaced it with a straight pipe! Now the car isn't running well (not only is there like, no back pressure..but the second O2 sensor is just HANGING there). My question is...where can I buy a good cat to put BACK in? It would obviously have to have the O2 sensor fitting built in too..unless you guys know of a better idea. Thanks again guys for helping a female tuner get "back into the scene" ...my poor baby is running so Bad. =( *sniffs* - Christine

Re: Cat...high flow Cat? Jeez! *sniffles*
Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:41 AM
hey what's up Christine, the ones that i have heard are the best are magnaflow or Rk sport highflow cats. i personally dont have one but have heard they do there job and are both good companies.honestly if you didnt ask them to take out the cat i would raise some hell and make them put it back on.there is also something you can buy which is a 02 simulator so you dont throw any codes, i dont suggest it or know much about it so you will have to look in too it.
Alex
Wednesday, February 21, 2007 5:16 PM
Well before I answer your question...

Just to let you know, the less backpressure, the better. It's the exhaust velocity that is probably being affected. What size cat-back do you have right now? Which header do you have?

To answer you question, like alex said, Magnaflow makes Highflow cats for all different size (diameter) exhaust systems. You would get the one without an O2 bung. Tell the shop to put the O2 sensor in after your catalytic converter after it's hooked up.

Also, 2 more things:

If you get the magnaflow cat, you shouldn't need an O2 simulator.
The RK Sport Catalytic Converters are the Magnaflow Catalytic Converters.

You might want to take it to a more professional shop...them doing something to your car without your permission isn't right.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:37 PM
Actually, if it were me I'd be headed right back to the same shop. Once I got there I would remind them that removing a functional catalytic converter or intentionally disabling an emissions control device on a vehicle is a federal offense that carries a fine of up to $10,000 per incident. No cat, $10K. Non-functional oxygen sensor, $10K. Adds up quick, I'd say.

Then I would *strongly recommend* to them that they install a FACTORY converter (see below) back on my car. I'd also *strongly recommend* they replace the second O2 sensor, since it is probably now contaminated or destroyed by prolonged exposure to the elements. Then after they did all that, I would have them pay for a front-to-back inspection of the entire exhaust by a competent shop.

If they refused to do any of those things, I'd remind them that I had the phone numbers for the EPA compliance hotline, the Better Business Bureau, as well as a local television station or two.

That is, if it were me...

Notes on catalytic converters: Contrary to the "high flow" myth sold by many companies, modern factory converters are actually capable of flowing more exhaust than aftermarket units. This is mainly because of changes in the Clean Air Act that took place in 1997 requiring higher and higher flow rates and greater density per square inch in the converter substrate. In English, "high flow converters" used to be better than stock. Now it's the other way around. OEM converters are also generally much higher build quality than aftermarket as well and will last much longer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:45 PM

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:33 PM
JimmyZ wrote:Actually, if it were me I'd be headed right back to the same shop. Once I got there I would remind them that removing a functional catalytic converter or intentionally disabling an emissions control device on a vehicle is a federal offense that carries a fine of up to $10,000 per incident. No cat, $10K. Non-functional oxygen sensor, $10K. Adds up quick, I'd say.

Then I would *strongly recommend* to them that they install a FACTORY converter (see below) back on my car. I'd also *strongly recommend* they replace the second O2 sensor, since it is probably now contaminated or destroyed by prolonged exposure to the elements. Then after they did all that, I would have them pay for a front-to-back inspection of the entire exhaust by a competent shop.

If they refused to do any of those things, I'd remind them that I had the phone numbers for the EPA compliance hotline, the Better Business Bureau, as well as a local television station or two.

That is, if it were me...

Notes on catalytic converters: Contrary to the "high flow" myth sold by many companies, modern factory converters are actually capable of flowing more exhaust than aftermarket units. This is mainly because of changes in the Clean Air Act that took place in 1997 requiring higher and higher flow rates and greater density per square inch in the converter substrate. In English, "high flow converters" used to be better than stock. Now it's the other way around. OEM converters are also generally much higher build quality than aftermarket as well and will last much longer.

LOL

That is a good point.

And the last note, that is true...I mostly tell people to get one so they can keep the same diameter throughout the exhaust system.

Note: Nice to see you post Jimmy...hope everything is well with the wife and kid.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search