Bolt On Performance - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bolt On Performance
Saturday, April 07, 2007 7:42 AM
Hey guys I'm new to this forum, I have a 2002 Cavalier z24 5 speed with the 2.2L EcoTec. I have only appearence mods right now but I will be ditching them as I've decided to go all bolt on performance and see what I can get out of it power wise.

Current Mods:
CF Ram Air SS Hood
18" Tenzo's (will be ditching them for some lightweight 16's)
Lowered about 2.4" on adjustable coils
Subwoofer / Amp (obviously coming out for weight reasons)
K&N Drop in filter

Future Mods:
Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat
2.5" Cat back exhaust (saying 2.5" because it wont be mandrel bent)
Magnaflow muffler
Larger injectors
Larger throttle body
Stiffer motor mount
Short Ram Intake

Is there anything that I missed on my future mods list that should be done before anything else....Also would those mods put me into the 15's??

Thanks for the help guys!!

Re: Bolt On Performance
Saturday, April 07, 2007 8:52 AM
IF you're gonna get larger injectors and a bigger exhaust, i would say to go ahead and put a turbo kit on. They should come with better injectors. They also sell a smaller pulley, but if you have a bunch of electronics running at the same time, it will bog your car down in a sense.

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Saturday, April 07, 2007 9:09 AM
Naw I wanna stay away from boost I just wanna get as much out of it as I can by going the bolt-on route. I also dont wanna spend a ton of money maybe about $2,000. They were just some suggestions on what I should get and if I would notice a decent increase in acceleration...I will only have my headunit and door/rear speakers as far as electronics go...Thanks for you input , it doesnt take people long to respond on here....

Saturday, April 07, 2007 2:58 PM
Sorry guys, I know you've probably answered to a thousand posts like this one, I was just wondering if it was worth it for all those bolt ons and if I would see 15's at the track........If a hi flow cat + cat back + mufflers + intake + throttle body could make 15s then I think it would be worth it.......

Saturday, April 07, 2007 3:18 PM
Mike Baynton wrote:Hey guys I'm new to this forum, I have a 2002 Cavalier z24 5 speed with the 2.2L EcoTec.

First thing, if you have a Z24, you don't have a 2.2 ECOTEC, you have a 2.4 Twin Cam. If you have a 2002 with a 2.2 ECOTEC, then you have a LS Sport. If you don't have either badged but still a 2.2, you have a 2200 OHV engine. Either you are mistaken or you have misbadgings.

To your performance post...

Quote:

2.5" Cat back exhaust (saying 2.5" because it wont be mandrel bent)

Please don't do this...even if it's NOT going to be mendral bent, compression bends will work just fine with a quality bender doing the job. DO NOT crush bend because at the bends it is unpredictable on how much of a restriction will be caused. Spend quality money for quality work.

Get compression bends and a 2 1/4" piping.

Quote:

Larger injectors

The only reason you would need to change your fuel injectors is if you needed to. Larger injectors won't gain you power if the demand isn't there. You'll be spraying TOO MUCH fuel...which is running rich. Also, you don't change fuel injectors to larger ones and not have anything to either control the duty cycle or the fuel pressure. They will be uncontrollable and spray too much fuel being that your computer is used to running certain fuel tables and duty cycles with smaller injectors. Your computer is able to trim away to make it idle and cruise slightly better but ultimately, it's a worthless modification if you don't have control.

Quote:

Larger throttle body

No need for a larger one. What will happen is that it will slow down air intake velocity which will start to move your powerband upwards. Your throttle body isn't a bottleneck on your air intake system. Your stock 58 MM throttle body is supporting plenty of incoming airflow.

Quote:

Stiffer motor mount

You have 2 engine mounts, a upper and lower mount. You can buy them from CarCustoms.net, he (Karo) sells the RK Sport mounts and he has free shipping on all his products.

Even though I know you're whole output on this is "getting whatever you can get", this may lead to dissapointment in the near future especially when you don't have a initial power goal in mind.

If you still want to continue the bolt on route, atleast upgrade your whole exhaust system and get a catalytic converter that matches the rest of your exhaust piping (recommendation: 2 1/4").

Take it for what it's worth but all the stuff you have planned, I did.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, April 07, 2007 8:39 PM
Why can't it be a 2002 z24 with an ecotec?? I highly doubt that its the wrong badging............

Saturday, April 07, 2007 8:43 PM
Im from Canada didnt they have a LS Sport in the States in 02 with the eco and the z24 in Can??

Saturday, April 07, 2007 9:16 PM
Mike Baynton wrote:Im from Canada didnt they have a LS Sport in the States in 02 with the eco and the z24 in Can??

I was going to say that but most of the people here are from the US. I retract my statement.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 9:29 PM
Yeah I guess I should have stated that earlier lol, Ok so I might as well get the magnaflow hi-flow cat put on when I get my exhaust done and finish it off with a magnaflow muffler. Ya I just thought seeings its going to be compression bent the size should be a little larger but I'll take your word for it and go with the 2 1/4" because you seem to know your stuff lol

The CF hood I have I'm waiting until all the salt is off the road to install but it should work as well as a SRI because the scoop directs the air right on top of my airbox. I am going to probably get a spare airbox cover and cut a hole in it for more flow...Hopefully I will feel a slight power gain with these mods..

Thanks alot guys!! Very helpfull site!!

Saturday, April 07, 2007 10:16 PM
You're welcome.

By the way, if you get a short ram intake, you will no longer have a intake box. It replaces it.

Sunday, April 08, 2007 8:34 AM
No I know a SRI will replace your airbox, I'm saying if I cut a hole in my airbox lid the air coming in from the scoop will be directed right on top of my airbox...I'm saying with my airbox customized like I am doing it should work as well as a SRI would........

Monday, April 09, 2007 6:53 AM
Mike Baynton wrote:No I know a SRI will replace your airbox, I'm saying if I cut a hole in my airbox lid the air coming in from the scoop will be directed right on top of my airbox...I'm saying with my airbox customized like I am doing it should work as well as a SRI would........

Well part of the benefit of getting a new SRI is because you have no restriction the actual tube. That would be a much better idea and easier than hacking up your current air box.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search