after bolt on performance.. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
after bolt on performance..
Saturday, April 14, 2007 9:19 PM
ok so far ive gotten my intake and my cat back exhaust my headers will be coming soon..after these bolt ons what other mods are worth doing that will get me more power besides turboing i don really wanna go turbo. anyone got any ideas?

Re: after bolt on performance..
Saturday, April 14, 2007 11:03 PM
im going with larger throttle body and lighter pulleys...try that. cams would be nice too...
Sunday, April 15, 2007 10:03 AM
yeah i thought about the pulleys. before i get my headers im going to an exhaust shop and getting the piping from the header to the cat replaced to 2.1/4 then im gettin the header but after that idk wat to do i want to try and hit close to 200 hp thats my biggest goal
Sunday, April 15, 2007 12:59 PM
you can get a good just with a spark booster, i use the plasma one from saturn motor sports, and iridium plugs and iridium spark spring. will really liven the mid to top where it has to fire fast and less time to charge. and all for less then 400.00, and the pulley from custom car grills would be the best tested the other, they do add but slow the other equipment down, theirs is just lightened, and factory size. good luck
Monday, April 16, 2007 5:40 AM
Keith Berard wrote:im going with larger throttle body and lighter pulleys...try that. cams would be nice too...

A larger throttle body isn't necessary unless it's needed. You would be shifting your powerband upwards with the change of intake velocity in your stage.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, April 16, 2007 5:51 AM
Adam barberio wrote:ok so far ive gotten my intake and my cat back exhaust my headers will be coming soon..after these bolt ons what other mods are worth doing that will get me more power besides turboing i don really wanna go turbo. anyone got any ideas?

Before you buy anything else, figure out what you want from your car otherwise you're going to spend a bunch of money on parts that will get you no where near your goal.

Are you afraid of going forced induction? Are you prepared to do engine work?

Sorry to say but bolt on modifications on a 4 cylinder engine are very limited to power increases when you are not doing anything extensive like forced induction or a heavy n/a build (or even mild n/a build with alot of RPMs).

So first, figure out a power goal. Then figure out how you would be able to get there realistically (or even ask) and then figure out what parts you'll need including prices (average). If it's beyond your idea of a budget or even beyond the amount of work you want done to the car, then maybe you shouldn't touch the car anymore and just wait. Yes, the "w" word...wait. Modifying can always wait especially when you can't afford it or the car you have isn't suitable realistically for your needs.

That's my suggestion to you.

Monday, April 16, 2007 7:21 AM
well somewhere around the 200 hp range anywhere near close to it would be nice. i would think about going stage 1 turbo but my car has 71k miles although its taken care of its still alot of miles to just be going turbo im not sure.
Monday, April 16, 2007 11:11 AM
i also found secret cam shafts for my car there only 120 though that seems really really cheap for cam shafts although im not sure how much they usually price. heres the link, would this be a really good buy? as of power gains and i guess itd be good replacing the old cams

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cavalier-Sunfire-2-4L-Secret-Cams-Camshafts_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33614QQihZ011QQitemZ320103762311QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Monday, April 16, 2007 12:12 PM
Adam barberio wrote:well somewhere around the 200 hp range anywhere near close to it would be nice. i would think about going stage 1 turbo but my car has 71k miles although its taken care of its still alot of miles to just be going turbo im not sure.

Stages mean nothing. Referencing to stages and not referencing to a company means absolutely. Not trying to be rude but this is real life, not grand turismo or Need For Speed.

Stages were only meant to reference to a company that describes a product they sell and one stage either had more items than the other (hence one stage lower lacked more items that the higher) or one setup was capable of reaching a reliable amount of power by creating more airflow (larger turbocharger possibly or a different wastegate spring or a different actuator) and supporting more airflow (possibly larger diameter charge pipes) for a specific application.

Other than that stages mean nothing.

When someone builds a turbo kit by their own means, they have an understanding of what is necessary to have a minimally working turbocharged setup or even better, properly working turbocharged setup.

As far as your goal, you're not going to reach 200 HP without forced induction and if not that, you're not going to reach it without touching your engine for a heavy N/A build. Asking for 60+ more HP is far fetched without touching your engine.

Monday, April 16, 2007 12:13 PM
Adam barberio wrote:i also found secret cam shafts for my car there only 120 though that seems really really cheap for cam shafts although im not sure how much they usually price. heres the link, would this be a really good buy? as of power gains and i guess itd be good replacing the old cams

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cavalier-Sunfire-2-4L-Secret-Cams-Camshafts_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33614QQihZ011QQitemZ320103762311QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If you indeed have a ECOTEC, this is NOT for your engine. This is for the 2.4L Twin Cam (LD9) Engine.

Monday, April 16, 2007 1:04 PM
well i know that i do have the 2.4L not ecotec and i was talking bout stage one because i heard that u won need to do internals with that. but yeah im really not trying to run turbo just wanted to hear ur opinion. i would gain more hp with the cam shafts right.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 8:14 PM
Adam barberio wrote:well i know that i do have the 2.4L not ecotec and i was talking bout stage one because i heard that u won need to do internals with that. but yeah im really not trying to run turbo just wanted to hear ur opinion. i would gain more hp with the cam shafts right.

No offense but how come you're posting on a ECOTEC related forum if you have a LD9?

Camshafts typically don't require you to have any type of cylinder head changes.

The power you gain all depends on how well they flow during your power band and also your a/f mixture which is controlled by tuning however way you want to do it.

Friday, April 20, 2007 4:15 PM
i honestly dont know haha i used to come on here alot and just read all teh stuff you guys new ur @!#$. the cars are similar, joined the forum figured i could learn some stuff. sorry.
Friday, April 20, 2007 5:50 PM
Adam barberio wrote:i honestly dont know haha i used to come on here alot and just read all teh stuff you guys new ur @!#$. the cars are similar, joined the forum figured i could learn some stuff. sorry.

Oh ok lol

I don't think you do. Open your hood and if it says "2.2 ECOTEC" on the valve cover then you have one. If it says anything else...than you don't.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 11:52 AM
no no no hahah. i know i have the 2.4L lol. u asked why i was posting on an ecotec site and i said i honestyl dont know just because u guys know your @!#$ and are helpful.
Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:39 PM
Adam barberio wrote:no no no hahah. i know i have the 2.4L lol. u asked why i was posting on an ecotec site and i said i honestyl dont know just because u guys know your @!#$ and are helpful.

Oooh ok.

Well check out www.quad4forums.com

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search