air intake temp: TRUE OR FALSE??? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
air intake temp: TRUE OR FALSE???
Monday, April 23, 2007 3:12 PM
the disputed claim:

Quote:
"each 10 degree drop in temperature is worth about a 1 percent horsepower increase."

All systemic losses aside, I'm just skeptical of the "10 deg = 1% hp" math. obviously, -10° @ the air filter won't necessarily hold true @ the TB, because of heat soak along the intake tube. To the experts, is there any validity to this??? Seems a bit generous, IMO, but I thought I'd get a more experienced opinion before i go on disbelieving it.

Re: air intake temp: TRUE OR FALSE???
Monday, April 23, 2007 3:30 PM
Air intake temperature effects performance yes. The cooler the air, the denser but I don't know fully if that claim is 100% accurate. If you were to have a stock engine and you drop the temperature, I don't know if you'd get a 1% increase or not. You would notice a difference between a hot day and a cold night, yes but that seems to be more of a estimate.

You take a car that is forced inducted that runs at higher intake temperatures, you'll see a greater power improvement than a stock car that is n/a just because of the different situations involved.

Overall, I'm saying I don't know. You can't generalize things like that when it comes to performance because it's misleading. It's like me telling someone "A intake will give you 5 HP" when in reality it could give more, it could give less depending on their setup and depending on their engine with more or less mileage.

Heat soaking along the tube isn't necessarily going to be true depending on the setup. If it's a stock engine with a intake upgrade, it's not going to experience heat soaking issues and the alluminum tubes that are typically provided don't hold heat like some may think. The air going towards the throttle body will more than likely be the same temperature or a slight warner by time it reaches the throttle body.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:04 AM
I'm learning over the years that engines are like people - each has it's own personality. We can generalize them, but none fits perfectly in a pidgeon hole.

Thanks for the reality check.
Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:19 AM
Vincent Spaghetti wrote:I'm learning over the years that engines are like people - each has it's own personality. We can generalize them, but none fits perfectly in a pidgeon hole.

Thanks for the reality check.

No problem.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 7:33 PM
This would depend on several things, elevation, outside temp, atmopheric pressure, fuel temp. I had bought a resitor from Radio Shak that was orange gold orange orange, which told my computer that it was 32 deg. I unpluged the sensor from my intake hose and stuck that sucka in their. My car was more responsive and sucked more gas and clogged my egr not that the 2.2l has one but you get the idea!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search