Spark Plugs - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Spark Plugs
Sunday, July 29, 2007 8:21 PM
ok so...

do iridium spark plugs make as much of performance difference as they claim too?

are they worth the $$$??

and how much better are they over platinum spark plugs?

Re: Spark Plugs
Monday, July 30, 2007 9:21 AM
Keep what you have. No real need to change them.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:20 PM
Hi. newbie here, and hoping to share some good info with you all. here's my experience with spark plugs and trying to get more power out of them......

before i had my malibu, i had an 02 nissan frontier V-6. cool little truck, crew cab. had no balls whatsoever, so i went to car quest and installed bosch platinum +4's. spent like 50 bucks on them. came home, installed them, and the SES light came on coding a misfire. i immediately took them out, and replaced them with bosch super copper plugs, 7 bucks for the set. misfire went away, and the truck actually ran better without them. i had then done some research, and read somewhere, but dont remember where, that platinum spark plugs require more voltage to spark, and cause weaker spark than copper. reason? conductivity. here's the thing; when your engine operates, it compresses an air/fuel mix in the combustion chamber, and lights it off. this process has it's flaws though. if there's too much pressure, or too much heat, the cylinder will burn the air fuel mix like a diesel, with no spark. it will pre-ignite, causing a loss of power and knocking. that's why high compression vehicles need premium fuel. premium fuel resists preignition, but is at the same time more difficult to light off. so if there's some silver tongued retard who says his car that requires regular fuel runs better on premium, he is lying, or at least misled. it is actually detrimental to engine power output to fuel a regular fuel car with premium.

on that same note, you do not always have to run premium in your premium car....

once again, heat is a big factor in combustion engines. if you have ever been to nevada, you will notice that premium fuel there has an AKI of 92, instead of 91. know why? its really hot there, and running 91 has a risk of causing knocking in high powered engines.

that being said, you can get away with not so high AKI (anti knock value) if you live in mild climates (less than 80 degrees fahrenheit) and are not challenging your motor. use premium before race day, of before towing, or if you live in the desert, otherwise you are robbing your engine of power, and you wallet for money. want power? supercharge it. don't waste money trying to make little dorky bolt on upgrades, 2 horses here, 5 there. save your pennies and do it right.
Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:42 AM
i have tried sveral plugs in my o3 eco and to date the best set have been ngk laser platinums. ngk standard plats tend to wear out quicker, bosch plat plus 2 dont run at all( ran into shifting above 4500 just so engine wouldnt knock) and as of ac delco, im not a fan of those due to problems with those in other engines rough plug life on each: bosch- 15000 miles, nkg standard- 30000miles ac delco(stock plugs) -45000 miles ngk laser plats- have not hit a high end on milage yet before acting up have roughly 60k on them now and still running stromg.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search