03 sunfire help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
03 sunfire help
Sunday, October 21, 2007 2:21 PM
what would be the cheapest i could turbo my sunfire for, or s/c if cheaper..

my friend offered to give me his old srt4 turbo, could i use that?..

i also have been looking on ebay and people have kits up for 1000$ would that work or no?

also, what would be the most psi i could run with my stock motor?

and i also have been wondering if an intake and just a chip would do anything to my performance if anything make it sound decent?

thanks for your help

Re: 03 sunfire help
Sunday, October 21, 2007 6:04 PM
Ok, so many questions. Wait until adam replies, he'll usually have a link for you to read. Also try seaching this site, there is a search function. And don't buy any chip for an eco engine.
Monday, October 22, 2007 8:15 AM
Matthew Strong wrote:Ok, so many questions. Wait until adam replies, he'll usually have a link for you to read. Also try seaching this site, there is a search function. And don't buy any chip for an eco engine.

Adam to the rescue!

Quote:

what would be the cheapest i could turbo my sunfire for, or s/c if cheaper..

First thing first, don't base your project off of money. Base your project after a initial goal or achievement. Read this thread, it will help you understand a bit more on what I mean: http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2435

Prices vary, so really this question is all based on what you ultimately plan on doing and where you buy your parts from. I suggest researching on what is needed and then go from there. I know with a turbo setup alone, it depends on whether you're going the "custom" route (basically picking out the parts you want and/or having someone make certain items for you).

Quote:

my friend offered to give me his old srt4 turbo, could i use that?..

I'm pretty sure that the SRT-4 turbochargers are 1 piece with the turbo manifold but I could be wrong...I briefly researched them. Even if it is not, you would still need to purchase a turbo manifold that had a flange style to fit whatever flange style is on the exhaust housing of that turbocharger. Me personally, I don't really see the purpose in using stock parts...I'd aim for aftermarket if you're trying to do a true efficient turbo setup.

Quote:

i also have been looking on ebay and people have kits up for 1000$ would that work or no?

They are more than likely universal kits...so...no.

If it sounds too good to be true...you know the rest.

Quote:

also, what would be the most psi i could run with my stock motor?

I'm going to refer you to my other write up, the ECOTEC Turbo FAQ: http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1024
Your answer is in there.

Quote:

and i also have been wondering if an intake and just a chip would do anything to my performance if anything make it sound decent?

You can't "chip" a OBDII computer like people make it seem. What you see around are resistors that go on the wiring for your Air Metering device to try and "trick" it into thinking you need more or less fuel (most of the time, they'll have you send more fuel...running richer fyi). This is all done by changing the voltage sent to your computer. Problem is, this is for all conditions, whether you're at idle or wide open throttle. More fuel doesn't always mean more power...depends on your conditions and setup. More fuel could cause you to make less power due to a less efficient combustion.

If you have anymore questions, just ask.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:24 PM
Go to howellautomotive.com they have the stage 1 and stage 2 turbo kits there. Stage one is 2500 and stage 2 is 3500. I even called them about the difference between the two because the parts listing is all the same. They said you get a bigger intercooler. You can buy stage 1 and upgrade the intercooler yourself for cheaper. 8 psi. with that kit is what suppose to be the safe setting for a stock 2.2 eco because you will be pushin around 260-280 horsepower. That is right around the max your a stock eco can handle untill you start upgading the internals.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search