air breathers - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
air breathers
Sunday, February 24, 2008 9:36 PM
I'm wonder where aftermarket air breathers go on a 2003 sunfire. i heard that they go where the silicone tube is between the crankcase and the air box. But someone else told me that if i did that it would blow my seal on my crankcase. anyone know where they go? pictures would be helpful

Re: air breathers
Monday, February 25, 2008 9:03 AM
whoever you were talking to doesnt know what they are talking about, it would be the valve cover and intake tube right by your throttle body, the little rubber hose that goes from your valve cover.also this would not blow a seal unless you completely blocked it off which would cause pressure to build up in the crankcase then blow a seal somewhere, the purpose for this hose if you didnt know is for your pcv, dont think there is a pcv filter, but basically it takes the blowby that gets past the rings and lets it exit out the valve cover and is sucked back into the engine. hope this helps
Monday, February 25, 2008 1:39 PM
ok thanks. but where do i put an air breather? i wanted to buy one at Advanced Auto Parts
Monday, February 25, 2008 1:46 PM
it is a rubber hose the connects from valve cover to air tube right by throttle body even closer right by your fuel line, the breather would go on the valve cover side and you would plug off the port on the air tube, just ya know the air breather has no perfomance gains besides not letting hot air from combustion chamber go back into you intake. and without a turbocharger or supercharger it really is a waste of money besides looks.
Monday, February 25, 2008 4:47 PM
okay thank you. I think i'll spend my money on something better haha
Monday, February 25, 2008 8:43 PM
no problem
Tuesday, February 26, 2008 11:31 AM
and the pcv valve is built into the intake manifold with a check valve, the tube is just a breather! not the pcv.
Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:40 AM
so im not seein the check valve just the rubber hose that connects from valve cover to intake tube, I wouldnt see how a check valve would not be somewhere right by the rubber hose or built into valve cover, got any pics of it where the pvc filter or check valve would be, i was told we had no pcv filter and looked just like a hose from valve cover straight to intake tube.
Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:31 PM
it is built into the intake manifold, to see the check valve witch is used as the pcv you would have to take the manifold off not the intake piping, sorry if i confused you. to tube is just the way for fresh air to get in.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search