Max HP/Torque In a Narrow RPM Range - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Max HP/Torque In a Narrow RPM Range
Monday, December 08, 2008 8:58 PM
Greetings, I'm new to the ecotec and have a few questions about modding the 2.2l l61 ecotec for a very different kind of application. I'm researching the possibility of using an ecotec in a homebuilt light sport aircraft. The ecotec appeals to me due to it's low weight, compact size, decent power, and the ability to build a bulletproof engine.

The L61 appears to get approx 80hp at 3000rpm and approx 140bs of torque in it's stock form according to a power band chart I saw. Although this is adequate and would work, it's on the low end of what I could use. More power would be better of course. The rpm range that I'm interested in maximizing would be the 2500 - 3000 RPM range. I need to develop max HP and torque in this range and hopefully get it to 100hp at 2800rpm. I don't care if there is no power on the top end as I will not need to use it. I realize this is the opposite of what most ecotec modders would want to do, but there is a limited RPM range to run the propeller safely in my application.

I would use an aftermarket ECU. Emissions, of course, don't apply here and a custom, very short, exhaust manifold would be fabricated.

How would you guys recommend building an ecotec to max power in this rpm range? Advance the cams, bigger or smaller exhaust, aftermarket intake???

Thanks in advance.

Re: Max HP/Torque In a Narrow RPM Range
Wednesday, September 09, 2009 5:03 PM
the ecotec motor produces 140hp @5600rpms and 150ft/lbs of torque at 4400rpms. your best bet is to go forced induction of more low end torque.
Re: Max HP/Torque In a Narrow RPM Range
Wednesday, September 09, 2009 7:41 PM
Wow! I would think that the Ecotec would be too heavy. Well man, here is some bad news. Most of the people that know the most are no longer here(I think they are on J Body). I checked and willie is one of the longest term members I have seen since my start. So, if your looking for info other than what he gave it will be kind of hard to get. Try to PM some of the old members like NJHK(he was a mod). Not to say that willie is wrong in any way shape or form, it's just that I know your looking for the most info possible. I would like to see some photo's if you get it done. I'm an aircraft fan. LOL almost a good pun there, but far off.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search