low r.p.m h.p ! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
low r.p.m h.p !
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 11:53 AM
I've just purchased a smashed 2003 sunfire 2.2 ectc. The car will be ice-racing next season, I need about 200-250 H.P No turbos or superchargers allowed. Engine has to be reliable, and torque in first three gears, we almost never shift to four. Any serious suggestions ?

Re: low r.p.m h.p !
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:25 PM
Im not gonna lie to you, good luck hitting that hp goal with no boost and since you have to go N/A your not gonna have anything in the low end. Its all going to be high end power. If you want low end torque you would need a V8. Sorry
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:31 PM
no, go this is a 4 cyl. race no v-8's . Will go high r.p.m , the engine can take the beating. I'm willing to take the challenge against import engines with an ecotec anytime !!
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:42 PM
I've heard this engine can get 8 seconds flat on the 1/4 mile here in Canada, I'm not quiting until I hit my goal. I really want to get this engine in front of those import engines and I'm convinced we can do it !
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:57 PM
Well go for a patriot stage 2 head with comp cams stage 3 camshafts and hptuners. Do up a full 2.5 inch exhaust with your choice of header and see where you sit. You'll never get an actual sunfire or cavalier into 8's but an ecotec has made it. these engines are capapble of alot but all dooable. Also throw in some cobalt ss injectors to get the fuel to the cylinder.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:15 PM
This is an ice-racing set-up, I don't want to run in the 8's, I just need a reliable set up. Thank's, I'm going after a double overhead cam Acura that's been running in front for too long. My personal goal is to show people we can race with our technologie and our heads put together.All my mod's will be dino tested. My results shared, and pictures will follow. I'm an auto technician, I do not know alot about after market set-ups, but I've got a bit of time (all summer) and a bit of $ to go ahead. (not tons, but enough to run in front of the pack !)
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:44 PM
Like I said, Buy some stage 3 cams, a stage 2 patriot head, some bigger injectors, and hptuners software and you'll be doing pretty good. It will be reliable if you tune it correctly, some has close to this setup and runs 14 flat in the 1/4 mile.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:18 PM
On ice we only use the 1rst three gears, I understand the stage 3 cams, bigger injectors for more fuel, hptuners software for opening the parameters, but what does the stage 2 head bring me ? stronger cam springs ?
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:02 PM
Higher compression pistons will prob do more good than anything. Might as well toss some rods on too. Look into getting an intake manifold from a 2.4 eco.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:58 PM
yeah, the stage 2 head will come with a 5 angle valve job and stronger valvetrain to hanlde your big cams.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:59 PM
I agree with the 2.4 mani and the high comp pistons. I am getting the 2.4 mani myself this summer with some stage 1 cams and hptuners.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:43 AM
I bought the car cheap because it was a front smash, airbags deployed etc..., last night taking it apart I found a beautiful small hole in the engine block. Lower front near oil pan. Great, more work. I'll be taking it out probably tonight. taking it apart and sending it in to get welded. Sunday I'm at the race track. No offense M.Choo, but I don't think I want to go as far as changing the pistons, I'm afraid if I take the compressior too high, at 6,500 r.p.m I might be picking out my head valves in the oil pan..not too mention my bank account. The intake sounds good, and those are the types of mod's I can do even after the engine is back in & running.
Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:35 PM
I have alot of the same questions!! We are building this car to run dirt tracks 1/4 and 3/8 oval. Any way my questions are what 2.4 manifold, or i should say off what? What about throttle bodies? and Injectors out of what year cobalt ss? Are they all the same for all years or are the supercharged ones different than the newer turbo ones? I DON'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT AFTERMARKET STUFF!!! As our rules read stock parts only no aftermarket. I may change cams cause they very rarely tear the engine down unless the is a protest. Thanks in advance!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search