bent cams - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
bent cams
Friday, April 17, 2009 6:34 AM
i am having a problem with my 2003 cavalier 2.2L ecotec. im having a problem starting it. i replaced crank sensor, plugs,coil pack, the boots for the coil pack and the ign module. and it still wont start. i had the battery and the starter checked n both fime. so i took it to my mechanic and he told me that my cam shafts r bent n pushed the lifters into the pistons and said i need a new motor. first of all how do u bent a cam shaft n 2nd does this all sound possible.

Re: bent cams
Friday, April 17, 2009 10:55 AM
This is why I'm mad at GM, when you take the cables off the battery you have to put a code in to get the car to start again. The same goes if you take the radio out. I have not had to do this as of yet, so I'm not sure what the activation code is or how to put it in.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Friday, April 17, 2009 3:46 PM
No activation needed for removing battery or radio on my cavalier(03). Does the engine crank? If it does, do a compression test to it. If it doesn't, take a 21mm socket and crank the engine by hand to see if it moves. Then get back to me.
Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:07 PM
yeah theres def. no code to put into a cavy.....possible the cobalts have it but for the most part its just the higher end vehicles that are equipped with that. and as for bent cams??????lol cams dont just bend.....theyre made out of a very strong metal and they can warp, they can be out of spec due to extended use, or they can be broken.....they dont just bend. cams have virtually zero malleability. as far as your lifters being "pushed" into your pistons....i dont think that a "Bent" cam can shoot your lifters through a one inch thick head into your pistons....that just sounds off the wall. i would def. get down there with a 21mm socket like choo said and see if the motor will go through a rotation for you as long as you havent messed up the timing.
Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:09 PM
(YOU NEED A NEW MECHANIC)
Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:40 PM
jeremy schaffer wrote:(YOU NEED A NEW MECHANIC)

Times 2
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:47 AM
I have a little red LED on my radio and I thought that was Delco Loc 2 or Theftlock. I thought all 30-04's had this. That's why I told Mike he needed a code.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:21 PM
I understand now. Maybe you do have it. I have no idea what cars come with it and what ones don't anymore. Mine doesn't have it I know that for sure, but I also bought mine with A/C as my only option so maybe thats why.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:50 PM
Oops, I wanted to say 03 not 30, but you get the point. I got my car used so I had no say in what I got. Hey Mike do you have the LED? All I know is without the code the car will not start.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:34 PM
Ive taken my battery off plenty of times and i have the red light to. Nothing has happened. All that is, is a light tell u your alarm is armed or ready to be armed. U will notice once the car starts it will stop blinking. If its not blinking when the key is out then u probably blew your alarm fuse. U might of had the car alarm armed when u took the battery out then when u put it back in busted the alarm fuse.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:28 PM
i got the car back n my buddy n i started tearing the engine apart. the engine does crank so its not a blown motor but the cams r twisted and i got 1 lifter broke in half and 3 others the roller bearings are cracked. my car is a base model cav. that dont need codes n i changed the stock radio to aftermarket.

Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:26 PM
How do the cams get twisted? Did you do any mods? Are the pistons ok?

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:28 PM
The only way i could ever see a camshaft like these get twisted is if a rod snapped, the piston went into the head and got jammed there, then the valve tried to open cause it to jam on the piston etc all the way back to the camshaft. I find this very hard to believe.
Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:18 AM
all i no is the cams are twisted n i got 4 tappets broken i dont no how it happened but thats what i got. and the motor is stock but ive been having problems with the car since i bought it brand new with 5 miles on it. i also had to get the computer reprogrammed 7 times by the dealer cause somehow some of the software would delete itself.ill post pics of broken tappet and all
Saturday, April 25, 2009 8:05 AM
GM should be giving you a new engine! Deleting it self? Wow, this car has two things that I didn't know could happen! But, what can happen will, at least to someone. Hope this all works out for you.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:57 PM
Did the PS pump lock up or something?

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search