what do you think??? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what do you think???
Sunday, July 26, 2009 9:32 PM
my set up right now is...

k&n typhoon intake, upper and lower rksport motor mounts upper and lower tranny mounts, spec stage 2 clutch kit, b&m short throw shifter, pacesetter header, 2.5in exhaust into 2.5 magnaflow high flow cat, into a 3in glasspack, y piped into 2 4.5in tips.

so what do you think? good? bad? what should be next?

2003 cavalier red, k&n cold air, pacesetter header and cat back exhaust.

Re: what do you think???
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:54 AM
It would be best if everything is 2.5 and there was no Y pipe. It is your car though. Everything else sounds great. We both need to think about getting the 2.4 intake and a tune.
The K&N I have is a WAI.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:10 PM
nice setup,i'd do cams next but that's just me

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:53 AM
hey guys its me redcav03 i had to start a new profile. i wont be using the old one that originaly posted this comment anymore. so add me or whatever.

i want the 2.4 ntake and a 62mm tb. but idk how much of a difference it will make, i heard you lose alot of low end power. is that true? im getting stage 2 comp cams in a month or two. and im getting a not-as-used as mine is head assembly. because i heard that you need to replace the valve springs and retainers. so y not pick up a junk yard head assembly with low miles, right?
but yes cams and an hp tune are next in line.
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:00 PM
You will lose some, but it's not alot. About 10hp and 10lbs/ft TQ. You will lose some low end power with the stage2 cams also. Stage1 cams would keep the losses down, but it's hard to pay that much for such a small gain. Well, you do have a stick so you can just up the revs on take off. A ported head would help, but the cost is high. It would have better springs and everything else in it.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:15 PM
im not rich. im looking at trying to get stage 2 cams in it for under $400. i found the cams for $150. and me and my brother are putting them in, my motors got 130,xxx miles on it. should i replace the valve springs and retainers? timing chain and gear?
Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:33 PM
It's too bad you can't get an engine with lower miles. Cams love compression, the bigger they are the more they want and need for the engine to run right. A new chain would be nice, but there is also the guides and the tensioner to think about for it. The newer the better on everything that has to do with the valvetrain. Make sure the stock springs can take the lift of the new cams. This is my first Ecotec, most of what I know comes from what I've done on other cars. So, get as much info as you can before you start the work. Remember that I'm just trying to help and please don't get mad at me for not knowing everything about this engine. I'm here to learn also. Mr Choo might have more info.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Friday, August 28, 2009 7:51 AM
sweet thanks. my brother and me have come to an agreement. that the best route would be buying a cheap low mileage motor. (junkyard or ebay or even on here) and stripping it down to bear bock. putting it on a jack stand and just building it from the bottom up. with new stock NEW parts and aftermarket performance parts. low compression and then eventually hahn stage 2 turbo and comp turbo cams. ported and polished EVERYTHING and vulcan intake mani. and the z28 throttle body. and muh more. this roject is going to take a long time obviously. but after its all done right. in like 2 years. im looking at like 500+ hp. but its going to be built for the track only. no ac. lol. thats my plan. and while were working on the motor on the stand, ill just drive the 130,000 motor with the bolt ons it has untill the new ones done.

sound good?
Friday, August 28, 2009 1:30 PM
I thought you said that your not rich(lol). Hope you two know what your doing. It's an engine stand not a jack stand by the way. Don't forget to get HP Tuners so you can tune. I'd say 500hp is a little more than what it would put out. Things can rust after two years, get all the parts before you start. Best wishes on this. N/A would be a faster build, but much less power.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search