siamse two I-4s - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
siamse two I-4s
Sunday, September 20, 2009 8:19 PM
At 260 hp, the Ecotec Turbo is a powerful engine! I have been looking for an inexpensive, 500+ hp engine, and the Ecotec Turbo seems to foot the bill, only if I can siamese two engines. Has anyone done this, or suggested the process? Greg

Re: siamse two I-4s
Monday, September 21, 2009 2:55 PM
Wait, what? One LNF can do 500hp, why do you need 2?

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Monday, September 21, 2009 9:05 PM
Tinkles, thanks for the reply. What is LNF? Is it supercharged? Turbo charged? Nitrous? A normally aspirated inline-four of approx 2200 cc displacement would have to have its neck wrung to generate 500 bhp, like 13:1 compression, and stratospheric rpm, making it unreliable, unstreetable, and very expensive.
Monday, September 21, 2009 10:28 PM
The LNF IS the 2.0L Turbocharged Ecotec. The LSJ is the 2.0L Supercharged Ecotec. The LE5 is the 2.4L N/A Ecotec and the L61 is the 2.2L N/A Ecotec.

Its bottom end is rated to appox. 400bhp stock. With forged rods and pistons and a darton sleeve kit it will support 700-800bhp. With a ported head, oversized valves, stronger valvesprings, turbo cams, and the proper turbo it will break 500bhp without a sweat.

Hahn Racecraft is making over 600whp on the weaker 2.2L eco(wrist pins go at appox. 280bhp) in their drag sunfire(with basically the same mods that are listed above). GM made over 1,000hp on a destroked 2.2L eco(more mods than listed above). Both engines have custom turbo kits on them.

Also a forged and sleeved L61(2.2L) ecotec would be a cheaper to build because there are so many cavaliers, sunfires, cobalts, etc in the junkyard(i just picked one up for $250 to rebuild).

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:22 PM
Thanks again, Tinkles!
You have excellent knowledge about this engine!
You emailed: "Its bottom end is rated to appox. 400bhp stock. With a ported head, oversized valves, stronger valvesprings, turbo cams, and the proper turbo it will break 500bhp without a sweat."...are you referring to the LNF?

Last: Do you have any torque measurements for the engine above? That is one of the reasons I was asking about Siamese-ing two LNFs. I want big torque and big hp.
Thank you, sir!
Greg
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:05 AM
darth vader wrote:Thanks again, Tinkles!
You have excellent knowledge about this engine!
You emailed: "Its bottom end is rated to appox. 400bhp stock. With a ported head, oversized valves, stronger valvesprings, turbo cams, and the proper turbo it will break 500bhp without a sweat."...are you referring to the LNF?

With the exception of cams, rods, and pistons mainly everything is universal between the different ecotecs. IE: Stock LSJ valves will fit the L61 head, the LSJ head will fit on the L61 block, the stock turbo and supercharger set-ups will fit the LE5 and L61.

The parts i listed would work for any ecotec looking for 500ish hp.

darth vader wrote:
Last: Do you have any torque measurements for the engine above? That is one of the reasons I was asking about Siamese-ing two LNFs. I want big torque and big hp.
Thank you, sir!
Greg

I dont know any torque number off the top of my head, but if you hunt around on J-body.org and Cobaltss.net you should be able to find dyno graphs that would give you an idea.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:25 AM
witch is witch??? my 2.2 ecotec has the lsj right?? whats an l61? le5?
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:33 PM
Tinkles wrote:
The LNF is the 2.0L Turbocharged Ecotec.
The LSJ is the 2.0L Supercharged Ecotec.
The LE5 is the 2.4L N/A Ecotec
The L61 is the 2.2L N/A Ecotec.

The LSJ is the 2.0L Supercharged Ecotec, the supercharger on it is the M62. If you have a supercharged 2.2, then you have a L61 with the M62.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search