under drive pulley gains???? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
under drive pulley gains????
Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:21 AM
i found an under drive pulley on mrzperformance.com
$140 about. and it is %20 smaller and alot lighter. and its red not ugly metal color. lol.
but however is states that you will notice a %20 hp gain... im pushing 190.. so %20 of that is 38hp... theres no way thats true. does anyone know what the gain really is???

Re: under drive pulley gains????
Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:02 PM
I have a light weight one(not on the car yet, from J body performance). If you get the MRZ you will need to get a overdrive pulley for the alt. I got a March alt overdrive pulley for my Beretta and the MRZ under drive for the crank(the March pulley was cheaper than the MRZ). Dang Matt, I have to ask why you are looking at a pulley when you were talking about replacing the valvetrain?

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:12 PM
Oops, on the gains I'm not sure. It's more about drag then HP, but you could say both are the same. I would think it would be more like 10 or 15HP, but your REV's will be quicker. That gain would also be over stock not how much your putting out now. That would be like 29HP, but that sounds too high.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:44 PM
i dont know. im still in the process on deciding on what i want to do with the motor thats in it, while i build the other one. the valvetrain stuff will all cost too much just to do something simple like replacing the cams ive got to replace like alot of other stuff in the head, valves, seats, retainers, gears and chain... too much for right now.. but that under drive pulley i figured would be a quick and easy bolt on. for a good gain. why would i need an over drive pulley?? i dont even know what that is... or where to get one..
Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:29 PM
Your alt will not spin fast enough at idle to keep the voltage up. Your headlights may dim along with other things. I think the March pulley will fit, but check into that. Look at the MRZ site, they have the overdrive alt pulley and they tell you why you need it with the underdrive crank pulley. You will also need a shorter belt and a puller to get the old one off. The good thing is that you can use them on your new engine.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:10 AM
sweet thnx. so i have ti have that over drive alt pulley?? y not get a lightway alt pulley that should spin faster right? create more voltage? thats what i figured when i get the new more cloose to done il just take the pulleys off this one and put them on the new one. i new id need a smaller belt. mrz said id need a bet one inch smaller than stock. i dont have a high power stereo or anything.. so other than diming headights.. any other problems? whats the difference from a light weight alt pulley and an overdrive??
Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:10 PM
Light weight would take less power to move. It should be the same size, so it won't turn any faster. As for the power(volts) everything runs off of that. If your tail lights are too dim someone could hit you. The fuel pump and ignition need all they can get. They would get it back when the RPM gets high enough.
Think of this way, all the pulleys would have to be light weight to make a change. If all the others are stock, how can there be a change in speed? The overdrive will get the volts back up to where they were. Remember that you have to charge the battery when it's sitting at idle also. Do you have power windows? They will move much slower and drain the system down more(nothing to cover the loss).

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Saturday, September 19, 2009 8:29 AM
so getting just the under drive pulley isnt worth it?? is just getting the under drive pulley and alt pulley worth it?? or should i get all under drive pulleys..?? and if i should get the alt pulley should i get the light weight alt pulley or over drive alt pulley??
Saturday, September 19, 2009 12:13 PM
Easy Matt, you can just get the under drive crank pulley, but I don't think you will be happy. All pulleys would be great, but kind of hard to do. The crank and the alt pulleys are fine, go with that. Yes, it would be worth it to get them. Get the over drive alt pulley. The water pump will not spin as fast as it did before, but in the name of power you sometimes have to live with things like that. You know, when you gain in one area, you will lose in another. That's just the way it is. Your car is a DD, so that is why I think the OD alt pulley would be helpful. As I said, as long as the light weight pulley is the same size as the stock one there will be no change in speed. Just less force/power needed to turn it. My March OD alt pulley works with my alt on the Beretta. I'm not sure if it will work on the Cavy alt. If I get the time I'll try to find out. If you have the time the part # is March 110 it is a 1.625 inch and is set up for a 6 rib belt. I got it from Summit Racing, I think I paid 20 bucks for it. You could always go wiht the one from MRZ, but it costs alot more. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCH-110/Application/?query=Year%7c2003%7cMake%7cCHEVROLET
The Beretta was not listed when you check to see if it would work, but I know it works. We need to put some work in to find out if it will work on the Cavy.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Saturday, September 26, 2009 4:39 PM
Are you going to get them Matt?

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Sunday, September 27, 2009 8:47 AM
probably, just waiting for my next check, then im gonna decide if i should buy the pullys now. or save up and buy my patriot head ive been looking at, and THEN buy the pulleys cuz im sure all those things would be a great combination. id like to see a dyno sheet on those pullys so that i know exactly what ill be getting from them tho.

Sunday, September 27, 2009 11:09 AM
I would think you would have more than enough time to save money for the head. It's going to be some time before you get the new engine built. You may be able to contact MRZ and see if they have a dyno sheet. The HP gain is not the whole story. With the loss of weight your revs will come up quicker, that is the major thing. How about a light weight flywheel? That and the UD pulley will make the revs come up real quick. You would need a high TQ starter though.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Monday, September 28, 2009 7:37 AM
yeah, my brother told me he found a light weight flywheel online somewhere i dont remember where but he can show me sometime, the patriot with the valvetrain and cams is 1500. do you know anyone with an m2racing head??? i heard there good, but i know nothing about them, yeah my problem is im trying to get the head assembly as fast as i can, instead of pacing my mods like i should, but the light weight pullys are definitly going to get done by christmas, im hoping to have the pullys head cams and tune by the opening week of midnight madness, ( if you dont live in missouri, thats our drag track "gateway" its for like anyone and everyone)
Monday, September 28, 2009 12:52 PM
That head was news to me also. I didn't see a price on their site. I still think your crazy for putting a head and cams on a high miles engine, but it's your car so I'll say no more. I think that track would be a very long drive for me. Turbo Tech should have some flywheels on their site. Just remember to get the high TQ starter if you get one. I not sure where to find one though. Thanks for the update Matt.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Monday, September 28, 2009 7:25 PM
matt lyle wrote:do you know anyone with an m2racing head??? i heard there good, but i know nothing about them

You have to send them a head to do. I'll be dropping off my 15k eco at their shop in the spring for some head/block work.

M2race > GMRacing > Patriot

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:29 PM
How much is it going to cost?

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:11 PM
Depends on all that you want done. Their website is M2race.com.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:07 PM
Just asking and I shouldn't have. I don't have the money. Thanks though.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:29 PM
Save up then, that is the reason why im planning on going to them in the springtime.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Sunday, October 04, 2009 8:04 PM
Lost a job, got another and now the hours are down to 0. Everything is just a dream for both cars. I hope to have a new job soon. Then I can get back on track for the build of both. The Cav just sits, the Beretta is the DD. The Beretta has the most mods.
I like your car, mine is not that low, but the same color.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search