Need some pointers - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need some pointers
Friday, April 09, 2010 8:10 PM
Hello everyone. I am currently driving a 2003 sunfire 5spd. I would like to get some more power out of it for as little $$ as possible, still in high school working part-time. I am looking at a price range somewhere less than $1000, and it will probably be a summer project. I know about intakes and a short-ram would be better for me than a cold air because of wet weather. Which short ram is best bang for the buck? Is there anything to be done to the exhaust ( don't want something with annoying drone). What else is there for power? Not looking to smoke any v8's or anything like that, just have one of the better naturally aspirated 4 bangers around. Any help would be appreciated as I am new to this. Thanks

Re: Need some pointers
Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:47 PM
A cheap ebay intake with a K&N filter will work just fine. There is no noticeable gain between CAIs and short rams on sunfires/cavaliers. Throttle body spacers and "chips" are scams, they provide no gain at all. If you go with a 2.25" exhaust(all cat backs for sunfires/cavaliers are this size), header, add a high flow cat and good size resonator you will get a decent gain.

Monday, April 12, 2010 7:32 PM
Sounds good, hopefully I will be able to do some of this over the summer. What would be a approximate price range for what you listed?
Thursday, April 15, 2010 12:13 PM
depends on a number of things.

the type of catback you buy
if you install it or have a shop do it
what type of header and high flow cat you buy

you can easily get your entire exhaust done for under a thousand dollars with quality parts if you know how to shop around and be patient. or you can spend massive amounts of money.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search