1969 nova ecotec swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1969 nova ecotec swap
Thursday, November 22, 2007 1:30 AM
Aight yall wanna say great site just found tryin to get some research done on my nova. My car is an original 4 cylinder nova and i got a good deal on a 2006 2.2l. Iwant to keep the same thing with my car but update my drive train all i got so far is the motor. I have a couple 700r4's laying around and is there someone that makes adapters for them. also does anyone have any pics on wut the colorados 4cyl mounts look like and if they will bolt up to my 2.2. they motor i have came out of a cobalt if that helps with my questions. i know im gonna have to do alot of fabbin but i wanna see wut i can find out before i fire my torch up. thanks yall.

peace out

Re: 1969 nova ecotec swap
Thursday, November 22, 2007 2:12 PM
if i had a chevy nova I would be dropping a v8 in with a blower, but good luck, alot of work and a @!#$load of money
Thursday, November 22, 2007 2:36 PM
Well everyone and their brother has done v8 swaps on novas its an original 4 cylinder car and i wanna stay with the same theme. Do something against the grain so to speak. From wut i have seen u can make enough power out of the ecotec to match a mildly tuned LT1.
Will save about 250 lbs. in wieght. less weight go faster hehee. if theres any info anyone can give on motor mounts that could be used or anything else that could be helpful feel free to drop a line.

thanks
lumocus
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:42 PM
So does anyone know wut the solstice mounts look like?
Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:44 AM
well good luck ,definitely would love to see some pics of the project
Thursday, January 31, 2008 9:15 AM
you can use the motor mounts out of the sky/solstice but just note that they are offset a little so you will need to center the engine and use that to line up your mounts. the sol also shares trannys with the colorado/canyon, so i would suggest finding one out of a 2wd model. and you will probly want to go with the manual tranny because the automatic is computer controlled and built in to the harness for the sky/sol pcm. so if you went auto you would need a harness/pcm from one and that wont run your 2.2 as the new gen eco's use a different crank sensor
Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:34 PM
Not a chance in HELL of matching a mildly tuned LT1 or even a STOCK LT1 with an Eco.... not going to produce NEARLY the same borad torque curve unless you force induct, and even then....

I would go with something smaller to stuff in there too and something against the grain, but not another 4cyl. Perhaps I'd try a 4.3 Vortec and build that up (make it like a GMC Typhoon in disguise or something).

To each their own and good luck on your project. I would like to see some pics as well.
Friday, April 25, 2008 8:06 PM
Hey yall got great news as it seems i thought it was a 2.2 it is in fact a 2.4 out of an SS cobalt. YAY me, but anyway thanks for the input i just pulled a wiring harness off an 03 cavalier with a 2.2 and i got the coil pack and computer. i got the throttle cable and the throttle body of it to so i dont have to fab a gas pedal. the harness i got from the firewall out, and does anyone have a diagram on how the pins run on the part where it joins in at at the firewall. I'm gonna try and document as much as i can. take loads of pictures . oh yeah whre in the hell is a pic of the sol's mounts at i cant find a pic anywhere. Thanks for the info its been loads help

Robbie
Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:59 PM
Mike2200 wrote:Not a chance in HELL of matching a mildly tuned LT1 or even a STOCK LT1 with an Eco....

You have no idea what you're talking about!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rcLbxJHRBWc&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rcLbxJHRBWc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fba_R2WbPhU&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fba_R2WbPhU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Saturday, June 21, 2008 2:03 PM
Still no edit button huh?

Stock LT1 Z28

14.0 all motor L61 Cavalier

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 12:36 AM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:
Mike2200 wrote:Not a chance in HELL of matching a mildly tuned LT1 or even a STOCK LT1 with an Eco....

You have no idea what you're talking about!

I was wrenching on cars and doing engine swaps probably before you learned how to use the potty all by yourself. Read ALL that I said before you tell me I that I don't know what I am talking about.

You quoted me as saying "Not a chance in HELL of matching a mildly tuned LT1 or even a STOCK LT1 with an Eco...." YOU LEFT OUT in your quote: "not going to produce NEARLY the same broad torque curve unless you force induct, and even then...."

Send me a video or dyno sheet of a N/A Eco with the same torqueband as a stock LT1, then try and discredit what I have stated instead of misquoting me. The video clips you posted were as pointless as posting a vid of a sportbike, then a vid of a Camaro with an LT1. If you want to drop a Busa' engine in there instead, that's your deal. Does not change the fact of what i was actually saying.

Don't mis-quote me, I wasn't[/i ]telling you what to do and I wasn't putting you down, in fact I said "to each their own"

Have fun with your unique project.

Monday, July 07, 2008 12:33 PM
Torque doesn't mean an automatic win. Timeslips is what counts!

And I say, Fire that torch up and get an Eco in there!

Monday, July 07, 2008 3:55 PM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:Torque doesn't mean an automatic win. Timeslips is what counts!

And I say, Fire that torch up and get an Eco in there!

OK so then a 69 Nova with an eco would have more or better speed potential than a 69 Nova with an LT1.... riiiiiight. Okie dokie. Done. LOL
Friday, September 12, 2008 9:34 AM
Seems to me the the VVT that your 2.4L has will not work with the 2.2L harness, since the 2.2L never had VVT. anything can be done, though. My last project was a 1991 Integra 1.8L (NON VTEC) I swapped in a 1992 1.6L VTEC. All I had to do was run a few wires for the knock sensor, VTEC control and 2nd O2 sensor. Worked great w/ no CELS... The problem with the Ecotecs VS the Hndas is they are newer and people have not been screwing with them as long.
Monday, September 29, 2008 7:01 PM
if the OP wants to keep his 4-cyl Nova a 4 than I say go for it . what I've read about the 2.4 it will run with the right 2.2 harness but the vvt won't work. I think finding either a stand alone computer or a 2.4 harness would be a great idea. and I look forward to seeing this thing in there. BTW the origional '69 Iron duke was 90hp the 2.4 is 177hp it will feel like a v8 compaired to the iron duke.

"Racing is life Everything else is just waiting"
Phil
Monday, October 13, 2008 9:36 PM
Philip Rodda wrote:177hp

sorry... I couldn't resist.

Not all classic cars are about big HP numbers I guess. This will be a good unique project.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:16 PM
im doing simalier swap i my 86 monte, kestler engineering makes an adapter for eco to gm v8 trans but they dont sell them, i contacted them several times about it and there offical stand is that they dont see it as profitable, but they also dont want to release it incase there is a market in the future. so lets all e-mail the @!#$ out of them until they start selling them
Friday, March 27, 2009 7:13 PM
It will work, right now considering putting one (an Ecotec) in a '47 Ford truckster project., my brother has already mae the adaptor to go to a GM transmission and I can see 600-800 hp and still be streetable. , ,into this,
Sunday, April 17, 2011 6:35 PM
hey yall its been awhile but i had to put the project on hold kids, marriage ,lack of funds but about to get better job then ill have the funds to throw into it. i have have a 06 cobalt ss s/c to be a donor because then i wont have to mix and match everything to work. When I start i'll start posting pics of it.

peace
robbie
Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:56 PM
ok yall found out alot about ecotecs and their variances. solstice trannies will bolt up to the 06 and up ecotecs being that the blocks have bolt holes (motor mounts)for rear and front drive applications. 2.2 and 2.4 have 6 flywheel bolts and 2.0 has 8. any doing rear drive conversions 2.4 and 2.0 transmissions manual are the same but the flywheel clutch and slave cylinder are different. 2.2, 2.4, and 2.0 all have different engine harnesses. use the one for that motor. enginewiring.com can make a standalone harness out of the harness you pull from the donor car. cannot interchange cranks because of reluctor ring that is made onto the crankshaft (epic fail on gm's part) but that is alot what i have found out and i havent given up on this it will be done by god. might cost me my marriage but then again we only live once. Anyone have any questions on interchanging lemme know i found out tons. got the tranny and 2.0 sc to put together gotta get flywheel,pressure plate, clutch , and slave cylinder from the solstice. oh and 2.0 in a solstice is turbo not supercharged and the flywheel ,clutch, and pressure plate is different between the turbo and sc versions of the 2.0. i will post pics as soon as i can if any is still interested in this thread.
Thursday, February 09, 2012 5:58 PM
Chevy never made a 1969 Nova with a 4-cylinder motor.They either came with a 6-cylinder or a V8 . So it is obvious you dont even know what you have , or what you are talking about.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:24 PM
Hi, actually Chevrolet DID make 1969 Novas with a 90 horsepower four cylinder! According to Standard Catalog of Chevrolet 1912-1990, " Exactly 6,103 four-cylinder Novas were built during the 1969 model year".

Sounds like a fun project. I'm considering a similar plan for my 1963 Nova. Good luck with your project, hope you can get it done and keep the family! I have recently seen some adapters for GM automatics for sale.
Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:31 AM
Brad Hanold wrote:Chevy never made a 1969 Nova with a 4-cylinder motor.They either came with a 6-cylinder or a V8 . So it is obvious you dont even know what you have , or what you are talking about.

well if you have never seen one dont say it isnt so and say someone doesnt know what they are talking about and a few posts up the stuff i have learned and shared with people i believe will work and if it wont please someone correct me if my info is wrong
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search