Running Juice - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Running Juice
Thursday, May 27, 2004 12:54 PM
Hey guys, I have been considering all forms of power adders lately, but I am not to "up on my knowledge" when it comes to NOS. I was wondering what peoples impressions are of NOS on the ecotec, and whether any of you guys are Spraying on your ecotec setups. If so, what size spray are you using, are you using a Dry or Wet kit, what upgrades did you do to accomodate the NOS better, what sort of gains have you noticed or are to be expected and how often do you use it? This car is a daily driver, so Im assuming a 50 shot would likely be sufficient, though I have heard speculation about people getting away with a 75 shot. I am running an A/T alero, with a filter (soon a CAI) and am not sure whether upgrading the fuel system (ie: injectors, pump, etc) is definitely needed. Thanks again, and I look forward to your responses

Re: Running Juice
Thursday, June 03, 2004 12:06 PM
Bump - Please, Im sure there are some of you running N2O
Thursday, June 03, 2004 6:35 PM
the only thing i can say that 1 of our j-body friends up north in quebec city ran a 13.95secs on the 1/4 with NOS and i think it was with a 60 or 70 shots.
Friday, June 04, 2004 11:15 AM
any idea what else he had done, and if he was using the ecotec as his platform?
Monday, June 07, 2004 1:32 PM
Yep using a stock 5 spd ecotec.

he got a 70 shot.

<br>

:ca: PROUD TO BE :ca:

Tuesday, June 08, 2004 7:39 AM
Did he have any other mods to the car/engine to run that 13 sec pass? Slicks or Rubber?
Thursday, June 10, 2004 11:33 AM
you can safely run a 50 shot without having to do any extra modification to the engine. You might possibly be able to run a 70 or 75 shot whatever, but you'd be sliding be without doing anything to cool the internals i think. i dont have nitrous on mine yet, but im considering the ZEX 50 shot.

hope this helped.

p.s. ask the people at the tuning shop near you about your specific application.
Monday, June 14, 2004 7:13 AM
I'm using the NX kit and it is nice but I haven't sprayed yet because I need to get the fuel psi saftey switch. I only plan to run a 35-50 shot. I have RK 421 and short ram along with motor mounts upper and lower. It's my daily driver so I don't want to temp fate to much! I'll let you know what it turns except my clutch is weak!

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Monday, June 14, 2004 5:04 PM
he ran a with a custom made muffler line with a High Flow cat + Dynomax muffler. He had no intake only the stock 1. And if i can remember he didnt have any slicks on.
Wednesday, June 16, 2004 7:36 AM
Wow, Im really impressed by that 13.95 time slip the guy ran, had he done any weight reduction too?

Anyone wanna give their input on the following?
Wet or Dry?
which brand - NX/Zex/NOS/any other brands out there?
Wednesday, June 16, 2004 2:37 PM
none that i think of and his not that skinny also...

Thursday, June 17, 2004 7:28 AM
wet

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Thursday, July 08, 2004 11:59 AM
Have any of you guys seen the edelbrock 50 and 60 shot made espesially for the ecotec? I'm Really thinking about it. My car runs 15.2 right now.

Mods:
Rk Sport upper and lower engine mounts
Weapon R Intake
Pacesetter 4-1 Header
Car Sounds High Flow Cat
Magnaflow Catback

I think i have one of the fastest automatics, with no spray.
Friday, August 27, 2004 10:34 PM
I'm currently running a Zex dry 55 shot on my 02 Eco auto, and have been running consistant 14.7s. So far I'm fairly pleased with the preformance of the Eco on N20. I however would not recomend getting a wet kit unless you do a direct port set-up, due to the design on our intake manifolds. I you do a normal wet kit you can risk the chance of having fuel puddle in the bottom of the manifold and if you happen to have the slitest intake backfire, there goes your intake and possibly the front of your engine! As far as fuel mods, as long as you keep it below a 75 shot you'll be fine for the most part, just keep a good eye on your fuel pressure, Low fuel press=running lean=blown motor. My engine runs pretty rich stock and even on the N20 still runs rich I also did before and after dyno runs to double check the air/fuel through out the powerband, and all was well useing the stock system. Over all just keep close tabs on everything and keep up on maintence and you should be fine, but keep in mind nitrous has a tendecy to rear it's ugly head when you least expect it so be prepaired to rebuild or replace you motor, and if you can't do that or don't want todeal with that, then I would highly discourge the use of N20..........

Later
Skinny J

Tara, I will love and miss you forever, you will never be forgotten
http://tara-nagel.memory-of.com/

Saturday, September 11, 2004 9:55 AM
I'm running an 04 Cavvy auto and on a 65 shot I am consistently running 14.250 @ 96.178 my 60 foot times are 2.077. The eco loves NOS but I recomment the zex kit b/c it has some intelligence..... if the motor starts to lean out itll stop the spray.... also if u get the system BUY AN AIR FUEL RATIO GAUGE... so u can tell ur self how the motor is handling it..... If anyone is near the Napierville Dragway look for a silver sleeper slooking cavalier. Thats me..... last night I bracket raced there and beat an RSX Type- S with a Venom 50 nos kit.... my best time Ive ever ran was last night against him... I pulled a .014 light 14.110 at 97.895. She was haulin @!#$.... I am building the motor this winter for a full on 150 Direct port NOS injection... I am running a Weapon R Dragon intake and a stock exhaust with a Magna flow Muffler........
Gotta love the sleepers......
Wednesday, September 22, 2004 2:31 PM
Zex is the only safe kit out there to run a 75 shot consistantly. It will adjust the fuel pressure for extra fuel.
Thursday, September 23, 2004 6:38 AM
That's weird, I've seen a few mostly stock ecotec engines hooked up to a wideband 02 sensor on the dyno, and they all run 14.4:1 a/f ratio throughout the powerband, consistently. That is damn LEAN! But I guess if it runs safely that lean stock, it must be pretty knock/detonation resistant..
<br>

2004 Sunfire, 5 speed, billet aluminum short shifter
AEM CAI, experimental cams
FRD 68 Anthracite 17",215/45/17Y Ventus K104
Progress Springs, KYB AGX
Hawk HP/slotted rotors
148.8hp@5300, 155lb-ft@3800(@ the wheels)

Monday, September 27, 2004 8:31 PM
i believe you want 10:1 a/f ratio to run n2o
Wednesday, September 29, 2004 8:45 AM
hmm I have a NX wet kit and i have been running 50-75 shot on it for a while now. I would highly recomend getting a wet kit

as for mods for nitrous -- you will want to use colder plugs either ngk tr6's or autolites #103

you will also want to get a bottle heater a nitrous pressure gauge and i would recomend getting a fuel pressure saftety switch --- most kits come with a wot switch but if not i would get one but that is really all that you need

i have heard of only one person that had a problem with nitrous back fire and blowing up the intake manifold.

I know many others who are using a wet kit with no problems and they are alot safer then a dry kit (even zex) --- zex makes alot neater and easier to install system -- i would not call it the safest --

<br>

Friday, October 01, 2004 1:11 PM
Stock RSA tires + a stock clutch thats fred + mods in my registery equalls 14.2 @ 99 mph <br>

Friday, October 01, 2004 1:50 PM
nos is ok but its reallly hard on your engine.....and ecotecs have a prob with valve springs...so watch that button.... here is a good place for ecotec parts and engines builds.. www.importbuilders.com good people....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search