SAFC-2 install - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SAFC-2 install
Sunday, July 24, 2005 8:54 AM
I have a turboed eco and I was wondering if an body has installed one or knows the ecu pin out so that I can do it and post an install for it.

Re: SAFC-2 install
Sunday, July 24, 2005 9:20 AM
Your local chevy dealership can give the wiring diagram in the sevice department, thats where I got mine but I lost it a long time ago.

Unless somebody figured out how to get an RPM signal, the Apex won't work on an Ecotec.
Sunday, July 24, 2005 8:02 PM
I bought an msd tach adapter

Monday, July 25, 2005 5:06 PM
gmfreak wrote:Unless somebody figured out how to get an RPM signal, the Apex won't work on an Ecotec.

ABSOLUTE HORSECOCK :p

Any dealership can give you the pin out diagram of the ecu, and when it comes to the tach signal, someone should really inform my SAFC II, cuz it's found a signal, and I didnt need no fancy dancy add on unit :p Basically, what the installer has to do is tap the wire that is assigned as the "CKP sensor" There are some settings that you will have to adjust once the SAFC II is hooked up to display the proper tach reading (as it will read out at exactly half or double the amount that is really occuring) but you can pm me for those setting tweaks once you get closer to the install

If you wanna save yourself a trip to the dealership, visit this link for the complete print out of a Jbody PCM Pin layout http://www.ny-jbodies.org/library/engine/ecotec/PCMwires.asp

Cheers and good luck!
Wednesday, July 27, 2005 1:22 PM
When you are setting your number of cylinders set it to "2" to give the correct RPM reading . Search on JBO in the boost forum if you have any questions. To avoid CEL's you might also have to wire some resistors in. I have only have a periodic CEL, so maybe you will get lucky and not get one.
Thursday, July 28, 2005 4:04 PM
FU Alero SS,
If your Apex found a signal from the RPM Wire, big S&^t, you don't have to go around absolute horsecocking and demanding somebody to inform your Apex that it hasn't found its wire.

My Apex read everything but that wire and I've seen two other Ecotecs go threw the same thing, if I would have had an RPM signal from an MSD DIS 2 or adapter I would have been find.

I was just trying to help out Ecoclean but if somebody was going to make me look like a stupid ass I wouldn't have said anything at all.
Saturday, July 30, 2005 4:44 AM
Hahahahaha, uptight are we?

If your not positive about info, dont mention it - your " Unless someone has...." quote would have led this guy to believe that the apex'i unit would have been absolutely useless without unnecessary add on items, and that no one had adapted it for use on the L61 (as far as wiring goes), neither of which was true. These units are WIDELY used over on JBO (you know, the site from which EP originated) and are an asset to anyone considering throwing together any sort of combo that will require fuel tuning, short of the high costs of a standalone. Had you read up on the topic a little more, perhaps your own install would have been a little easier, and less costly.

Better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Cheers!
Saturday, July 30, 2005 4:28 PM
blueakron04 wrote:When you are setting your number of cylinders set it to "2" to give the correct RPM reading . Search on JBO in the boost forum if you have any questions. To avoid CEL's you might also have to wire some resistors in. I have only have a periodic CEL, so maybe you will get lucky and not get one.

Those would be the tweaks I was referring to ensure the proper RPM readout

Cheers!
Sunday, July 31, 2005 10:37 AM
The Apex didn't cost me a bit. They are not an effective tool anyways for what my Ecotec is intended to accomplish, actually they are pretty much just performance bandaids.

I'll just wait for HPTuners software, if they don't release it, I have the $1750 in the bank for the Accel DFI. Other than that cockyness you pose to get attention, your the fool if you think you gain anything from putting people down. You probrably were the jr high school bully back in the day.

Oh and JBO, "the site from which EP originated", exploded from all the newbys registering to ask for help and modding their own ride.

I'm not uptight with my friends, but you don't know me so what makes you think can act like you know me.
Monday, August 01, 2005 1:17 PM
gmfreak wrote:The Apex didn't cost me a bit. They are not an effective tool anyways for what my Ecotec is intended to accomplish, actually they are pretty much just performance bandaids.

I'll just wait for HPTuners software, if they don't release it, I have the $1750 in the bank for the Accel DFI. Other than that cockyness you pose to get attention, your the fool if you think you gain anything from putting people down. You probrably were the jr high school bully back in the day.

Oh and JBO, "the site from which EP originated", exploded from all the newbys registering to ask for help and modding their own ride.

I'm not uptight with my friends, but you don't know me so what makes you think can act like you know me.

I think you are taking Alero SS the wrong way.....if I remember correctly I also me and Alero also got into a pissing match in a GM S/C post and it was because we were both taking each other the wrong way. He was just messing with you so cool down and don't waste space/time on here fighting.

Anyways, I'm not sure what you have intended for your Ecotec, but unless its huge, the SAFC2 will be able to take care of it. If you are planning on building out of the correction range of this unit, you are putting way too much money into your economy car. This unit IS a band aid, as is any type of fuel/ignition management system besides a complete reflash. Hopefully HPTuners will come through soon, as I know many are waiting on this programming.

As far as the original question: All you need to install the SAFC2 is on the jbodies of n.y. website. Download and print : Ecotec Emanage Install, Ecotec Pinouts, SAFC install on either a 2.4 or 2200 ( i can't remember which one) and your Apex'i install directions. You will need to get those little metal clips that you crush to hold splices if they didn't come with your unit and a buttload of elec. tape. If you want avoid the check engine light, get a pack of resistors and wire one in (more info if you scroll through the boost FAQ on JBO, I believe shifted or mr. pute posted a diagram of what wires to put the resistor between. )
After aquiring all that crap, SLOWLY install the unit. Use all of the above resources, take as much time as you need and concentrate on wire NAMES NOT COLORS. Most of the colors in the walkthough and install will not match up, but if you take your time and follow what wire name and function go together, you will be fine.
Tuesday, August 02, 2005 5:21 PM
gmfreak wrote:They are not an effective tool anyways for what my Ecotec is intended to accomplish, actually they are pretty much just performance bandaids.

I'll just wait for HPTuners software, if they don't release it

Not sure how much time you have on your hands, and how much you rely on the "If's and But's" that companies toss out when it comes to aftermarket support for our cars, but you might wanna brew a pot of coffee and find a comfy spot on the couch - youre gonna be waiting a while. As for the SAFC II being ineffective, well...again,... Best to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

blueakron04 wrote:
You will need to get those little metal clips that you crush to hold splices if they didn't come with your unit

I would HIGHLY recommend avoiding these clips simply because of the task at hand. You are wiring into the main computer on your car, and these notoriously poor clips dont always make good/proper connections, if at all. You DO NOT want to risk not having something such as a map sensor wired into the car simply because the clip was faulty (and I HAVE seen it happen). Im willing to bet that the reason that Apex'I does not include these with their units is because of the failure rate people have with them (ask the guys who've used em on their B&M ShiftPlus'. Either spend the time and/or money, and do it with heatshrink, and solder, whether that means tackling the job yourself, or taking it to a shop if youre not comfortable with a Soldering Iron. Apex'I has a great Tech support line for any installation questions and setup questions for the unit itself, and while they might not be car specific, if you need any quick support they have been an asset to many people whom Ive spoken to who've also installed the unit.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 10:36 PM
I'm sorry Charlie Murphy (Alero SS),
How bout I make amends with the stickyest of the ickyest,

(Clap,clap)

Bi#%$s, have sex with Charlie Murphy.
Wednesday, August 03, 2005 8:13 AM
Alero SS wrote:
gmfreak wrote:They are not an effective tool anyways for what my Ecotec is intended to accomplish, actually they are pretty much just performance bandaids.

I'll just wait for HPTuners software, if they don't release it

Not sure how much time you have on your hands, and how much you rely on the "If's and But's" that companies toss out when it comes to aftermarket support for our cars, but you might wanna brew a pot of coffee and find a comfy spot on the couch - youre gonna be waiting a while. As for the SAFC II being ineffective, well...again,... Best to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

blueakron04 wrote:
You will need to get those little metal clips that you crush to hold splices if they didn't come with your unit

I would HIGHLY recommend avoiding these clips simply because of the task at hand. You are wiring into the main computer on your car, and these notoriously poor clips dont always make good/proper connections, if at all. You DO NOT want to risk not having something such as a map sensor wired into the car simply because the clip was faulty (and I HAVE seen it happen). Im willing to bet that the reason that Apex'I does not include these with their units is because of the failure rate people have with them (ask the guys who've used em on their B&M ShiftPlus'. Either spend the time and/or money, and do it with heatshrink, and solder, whether that means tackling the job yourself, or taking it to a shop if youre not comfortable with a Soldering Iron. Apex'I has a great Tech support line for any installation questions and setup questions for the unit itself, and while they might not be car specific, if you need any quick support they have been an asset to many people whom Ive spoken to who've also installed the unit.

I agree, those little clips (if we are talking about the same ones) are not the best connecting device. These were included with my SAFCII. I also used the connectors with the rubbery stuff on that you melt to hold the connection and various other connectors. Although the connections look kind of ghetto, I highly doubt they will ever come apart and I was able to hide the "ghetto-ness" with plenty of tape. I have also heard that the tech support is very helpful, but this is actually a very easy install. It took me about as long to install my SAFC as it did for me to wire in my guage overlay....and I am as amature as they come. Granted, using the unit is a little more complicated, but still not to bad.
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 9:38 PM
my alero i think is at teh stage of reprograming, cam some one help
?
Saturday, August 13, 2005 4:15 AM
If you "think" your alero is at the stage of reprogramming, and arent 100% sure, you need to hand your keys over to someone who's more knowledgeable on the matter, and learn/research the topic yourself before you jump into something that has the potential to do severe damage to an engine without a trained or researched individual at the helm.
Sunday, August 14, 2005 11:56 AM
Alero SS wrote:If you "think" your alero is at the stage of reprogramming, and arent 100% sure, you need to hand your keys over to someone who's more knowledgeable on the matter, and learn/research the topic yourself before you jump into something that has the potential to do severe damage to an engine without a trained or researched individual at the helm.

if we all did that then none would have any info because none would try anything themselves.

PCM Wiring

look in the library section, its in the third section down

Monday, August 22, 2005 4:17 AM
Well hey Im running N/A, would this controler be worth getting and if so, what else would i need to go with it?

Beware the Rouge Dragon.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search