donor motor - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
donor motor
Sunday, November 05, 2006 7:11 PM
hello. i'm thinking about doing a motor swap on my 02' sunfire GT 2.4 to ecotec which i plan to build up to the 300hp mark or so. was wondering about a donor car and would it be worth it to look for a gt sunfire/cavalier ecotec or just go with a base cobalt ecotec. i downloaded and printed out the sport compact ecotec build book. it's pretty impressive what this little motor can handle. what is the difference between these 2 ecotec engines and why do they vary in power. pcm? i'm planning to run the hahn stage II but they say it comes with an FMU. pistons, rods, and cam-gears will have to be changed. this is the plan (a long term one) and i'd like to get pointed in the right direction. I was also wondering if anyone knew the cost on he Hahn system...

Re: donor motor
Tuesday, November 07, 2006 2:36 AM
It'll be cheaper and easier for you to find an Jbody (2003-2005) in a junk yard than a Cobalt...plus the fact that they use a totally different PCM and electrical system (from what I understand).

Motor wise, 2.2 to 2.2, there is no difference.

Also, the Cobalts use an electronic throttle body and are returnless stock, jbodies use an mechanical throttle body and have a return fuel system...so that's something to think about as well as far as differences.

Overall, get a Jbody.

Why do they vary in power? More than like differences in computer perameters or something of that nature but I could honestly not answer that for you. I mean, it's a 5 HP increase (crank)...very small.

For prices on the Hahn system, you can contact Ryne @ Team Vision Racing (www.ryne.com/storefront/) and he can get you a price on the Hahn Stage II kit.

If you need anymore help, you can contact myself or even join the forum thats in my signature. Good luck w/everything.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:21 PM
thanks much... i really appreciate all the info. like what you've done with your ride.
Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:32 PM
HRC kit is running about 3495-3895 these days. Might go on sale for the holidays though.

Don't EVER have to change cam gears. Absolutely no need.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, November 12, 2006 2:18 PM
Raj R. wrote:thanks much... i really appreciate all the info. like what you've done with your ride.

Thanks but I actually don't have it anymore.

If you need anymore help, you can always reach me and Ryne @ ecotecforum.com

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search